Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious if any one has actually opened the new HID lights for the 2015 and up models and could offer tips tricks, etc.

Haven’t found anything online other than a video from one company that says with the inner design, where the center plug goes for the air intake, they cannot be pulled apart and must be cut open.:dunno:

I really would like the "been there done it kind of input."

I would like to know the best method,and what product was used to reseal them.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Not sure what you're trying to do, but the plug in the center of the turn signals simply pops out. They are held in place by 3 plastic tabs. Reach down on the inside and compress the tabs and push out and it will pop right out. Assuming you're talking about the Hellcat air intake, which does not go through the HID headlights. You do not want to open those.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure what you're trying to do, but the plug in the center of the turn signals simply pops out. They are held in place by 3 plastic tabs. Reach down on the inside and compress the tabs and push out and it will pop right out. Assuming you're talking about the Hellcat air intake, which does not go through the HID headlights. You do not want to open those.
Thanks for the reply,but I’m looking for info from someone who has actually split their headlights open for things like a Diode Dynamics Halo kit.

I want to know if some one on here has done it and could share the how to as I would like to do mine.

MIne is a ScatPak with the HID's

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
If you want a Halo kit. There are ones that mount on the outside and save you a bunch of hassle of opening up the headlight buckets.

I have Nasty Ringz on mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you want a Halo kit. There are ones that mount on the outside and save you a bunch of hassle of opening up the headlight buckets.

I have Nasty Ringz on mine.
Thanks,those do look nice.

But I really like the set up Diode Dynamics offers which require opening the light housing.

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
A buddy is doing his ,he has installed them before , you have to take the front off to remove the head lights
Then opened them up using a Dremel tool install the halos test them then reseal the light box
But ,, you have to be careful if not a good seal you will get condescension in your lights
Also doing the fogs at the same time
I would love to have them but it's a lot of$$$ and work , if you screw up the
Replacement of lights are really pricey .
But they are very cool !!!
Hope this helps

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A buddy is doing his ,he has installed them before , you have to take the front off to remove the head lights
Then opened them up using a Dremel tool install the halos test them then reseal the light box
But ,, you have to be careful if not a good seal you will get condescension in your lights
Also doing the fogs at the same time
I would love to have them but it's a lot of$$$ and work , if you screw up the
Replacement of lights are really pricey .
But they are very cool !!!
Hope this helps
Interesting,as that’s what I’ve seen in a video I did find.
A dremel was used to cut the light open,the install done then a sealer used to put the lens on.

See if any pictures were taken or any advice he would pass along,it would be greatly appreciated!

They are a spendy assembly at just shy of 800.00 a piece!!:eek:

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,721 Posts
Search around and find some companies that do them and ask them their technique. They might be willing to tell you because it would justify the cost they charge to do them.

I've heard of horror stories of guys wrecking their lights by keeping them in the oven too long because the cement wouldn't loosen. There are quite a few differing temperatures and times floating around too.

I've heard of guys having good luck with heat guns though.

I've read that you just start in a corner and keep the heat moving (so they don't warp or melt) and then once it gets a bit hot, then try and pry it up enough to get a credit card or small screwdriver or whatever in there (so it doesn't close back up), heat it some more and then keep moving around until it's open. I've read that it can be done in less than thirty minutes per light.

I'd think that the heat gun was good because it allows you to have better control of the amount and the location of the heat.

I've never tried it, but have read quite a bit about it because I've thought of doing it too.

Good Luck and Please let us know what you figure out. :cheers:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Search around and find some companies that do them and ask them their technique. They might be willing to tell you because it would justify the cost they charge to do them.

I've heard of horror stories of guys wrecking their lights by keeping them in the oven too long because the cement wouldn't loosen. There are quite a few differing temperatures and times floating around too.

I've heard of guys having good luck with heat guns though.

I've read that you just start in a corner and keep the heat moving (so they don't warp or melt) and then once it gets a bit hot, then try and pry it up enough to get a credit card or small screwdriver or whatever in there (so it doesn't close back up), heat it some more and then keep moving around until it's open. I've read that it can be done in less than thirty minutes per light.

I'd think that the heat gun was good because it allows you to have better control of the amount and the location of the heat.

I've never tried it, but have read quite a bit about it because I've thought of doing it too.

Good Luck and Please let us know what you figure out. :cheers:

Thanks FReddyG!
I’ve used a heat gun to open some prior cheaper lights from other past projects the weren’t what I would call as critical I.E. expensive LOL

And your right the various temps times etc. floating around don’t exactly give ya the warm fuzzies as the way to do it....

That’s why I was looking for a definative answer from a been ther done that,not screwed the pooch person :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,086 Posts
From what I have seen, baking them open is likely to result in the the canine fornication. Have a look at this guy, he just went at it!

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,721 Posts
From what I have seen, baking them open is likely to result in the the canine fornication. Have a look at this guy, he just went at it!

2016 Dodge Challenger headlight lens removal - YouTube

A Guy
Thanks for the video A Guy, but that one isn't very good because he explains nothing and just goes to work on the lights. I'd be interested in knowing the oven temps, the method that he's using, etc.

I'd also recommend that he is a bit more careful with that screwdriver too because there were times in that video that I thought that light wasn't the only thing that he was going to open up. If you know what I mean ;)

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
I knew he was serious when he put on those gloves!!! :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,086 Posts
It almost looks like he just went at it cold. Just pried it open. Wasn't exactly gentle, but seemed to work for him, lol. A Guy

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,470 Posts
Can't Diode Dynamics give you the information you seek? They should have it available if they want to sell you their product.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,086 Posts
Look at the 30 second mark, lol

A Guy

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,086 Posts
It was a reply to comment above asking couldn't Diode Dynamics help. I understand it won't help you. Not a bad idea to ask for their opinion in their vendor forum though. A Guy

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,721 Posts
Yep,Watched it numerous times.

Just wished the headlights they open were Challenger lights like the ones my 2016 ScatPak Shaker has.The center where the opening for the air inlet is,is the part I’m most curious about.I have a feeling it isn’t sealed with butyl like the rest of the light.

Generic advice is not what I’m after.
Dodge doesn't use butyl rubber on their headlights. They use Perma-Seal on them (also known as concrete :D) to prevent them from leaking and condensation. If you get yours apart, I'd recommend using butyl to put them back together because it'll be easier to take them apart if you needed to service them for nay reason.

Most of the Guys that do alot of them for a living, just cut them apart and then reseal them when they're finished. I'd put Nasty Ringz or Oracle surface mounted ones on before I went through the headache of opening them up. If they were sealed using butyl, then it'd be a different story because that would be easier and if done properly would last as long too.

It was a reply to comment above asking couldn't Diode Dynamics help. I understand it won't help you. Not a bad idea to ask for their opinion in their vendor forum though. A Guy
I might be wrong here, but I'd venture to say that Diode Dynamics didn't even open the headlight that was in that video. I'd be willing to bet that they had a local shop do it, that both sells their product and also does quite a few headlight mods. I don't want to post the shop name because they aren't a vendor here.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Gonna be trying this in my 15 soon...have a set of DD's sitting around, for a couple years now..gotta install em this fall!

·
Registered
2012 R/T
108 Posts
I've done it twice now on an avenger and a 2012 Challenger. Neither of those had the air inlets (obviously) but baking the avenger lights open resulted in far more damage than cutting the Challenger's open.

Cut with a Dremel wheel just back of the lip where the lens joins the housing. Do your stuff inside (do not touch or abrade the "chrome" parts inside) then use a soldering iron to spot melt the housing back together. Final seal with a bead of black silicone sealant.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts