Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a low mileage 2012 srt. I ended up getting a code that required getting reflashed. My local mechanic had the tool needed and the reflash ing program required . I had the car reflashed (1 1/2 hour needed) and the code is gone. Also gone is my sport mode. Now I don't really miss it but I am upset that I don't have it. I contacted dodge after reading about other newer challengers getting updates that removed the sport mode. Dodge responded that the reflash must not have been good. My mechanic explained that if it didn't work on the car would not work/accept the reflash.
Do I take the car to dodge dealer and have them reflash it and hope that the sport mode comes back?i will be paying for the same job twice if not more a higher price at the dealer. Can I get a tuner and be able to set the sport mode( mainly for suspension) settings? I feel not haven't hurts the resale if I decide to sell and if it is a programming issue,as many seem to feel, will dodge fix it at a later date and should wait to get it reflashed then.
Car is a weekend car but it irks me that I have to deal with this computer issue and don't seem to have a clear cut answer
Thanks for any ideas/opinions

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Wondering what tells you the sport mode is not working? I always drive in sport so that would not be acceptable for me. Seems to the obvious fix is your mechanic created the issue and is responsible for making it right at no cost to you.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,625 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Code was 2610
Sport mode is activated by pressing button under radio . Should have 3 options. Eco ,sport and track. "Sport " used to appear on dashboard when activated to tell me it was in that mode . Mechanic and myself are confused as flash took but sport mode is gone. Dodge said also might be individual problem and asked what did the dealer say. I didn't use dealer but I think I might have to take it to one to see if the problem can be fixed that way I am wary of the dealers and even more concerned reading about all the problems the newer cars are having with the updates . My reflash is basically a update as well because it will have anything new dodge needed/wanted to add. I will see if the code is gone and then see what I want to do from there.

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,000 Posts
That's interesting. You must have a very late production 2012. The 2012 SRT actually only has two modes (although 3 modes were mentioned in Chrysler literature) and it was not until 2013 that 3 mode was actually standard. Does it show a track mode when switched? I have/had two 2012 SRT's and neither had a 3 mode option.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it will show "track mode". Normally second push of button would put it into sport mode. I have an insert in my owners manual telling me about the sport mode it is a yellow jacket and I have paperwork from dodge telling me just about everything about car. Just emailed them vin number. Actually pretty cool to see my car was 1/31 with the same options . Always appreciate all the information that is exchanged on this site. I am going to stand pat and not do anything for a bit unless local dealer can guarantee me in writing that reflash ing car will give me sport mode back. I don't think that will be happening. Lol

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Seems like if a dealer "flashed" the PCM, and it doesn't work correctly, THEY ARE RESPONSIBLE for making it "Right".

·
Premium Member
9,660 Posts
Your yellow jacket is automatic? If I remember correctly autos had three mode suspension and manuals had only two settings. My yellow jacket was the last one built in 2012, is manual and 2 mode built the last week of production of that year.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am not sure if I made it clear in my first post . My car , a 2012 yellow jacket,automatic. Flashed a 2610 code . The way to clear code is reflash pcm or replace pcm/ecm. Discussing this with my local mechanic ,NOT a dodge dealer, he told me he could do it. He has tool and can buy flash from dodge. I pay him to do this job. 1 1/2 hour job that I feel I get a much better price then if I took it to my local dodge dealer.
The code is clear but my sport mode is also gone. I talk to him about it and he is just a puzzled as I am as it is a "official" dodge program
Reading on this forum I see where a lot of cars , newer then mine , lose sport mode when they do an update .i contact dodge and they do not know why I would have lost it and say maybe flash was no good. With this answer I go back to my local mechanic and he disagrees saying that if flash was no good car would be not functional ing or would have notified him flash did not take
My question to all that read this is.
Should I take car to dodge dealer and pay for a reflash. I figure about a 300 dollar charge . If sport mode is not there when I go to leave will dealer now try to find where it went. And how much will this cost me in replacing radio or pcm or whatever they guess at? Will they guarantee sport mode is back before they do the flash? Is it the same flash I just paid 150 for at my local mechanic?
Dodge cannot find the sport mode program in the newer challengers and many are left scratching their head what to do. Just asking what people would do if it was their car and their money. 300 bucks goes towards some nice drag radials or towards a tuner.

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
3 mode function came along later in '12 model year, and initially was 2-mode at the start of the year.

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,000 Posts
I doubt anyone will guarantee a re-flash will get sport mode back. Your mechanic made a diagnosis and re-flashed the car. The re-flash did not work so either he messed, flashed an incorrect setting or you have an electronics issue. It is interesting though that you no longer have a code and yet are supposed to have a 3 position setting that has now become a two position setting.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes. Making me scratch my head also. Would love to get sport mode back somehow but I think I will either see if I can get car reflashed at mechanic which he is resistant to right now because he feels his flash was done correctly and it is a software issue from dodge program or I will just wait and maybe see if there are other options. I was thinking that maybe it is something wrong with Pcm itself and I should just replace it and then reflash that one. Hate paying to fix something that does not get fixed. Hmmmm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts