Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've looked at these convertible conversions from Drop Top Customs. I've gone back and forth with whether I like them or not. Guessing the real determination would be made with regard to how quiet it might or might not be.

The other thing is the fact that my SRT is pushing 750rwhp and spirited driving may be too much with the top up.

Thoughts?
Opinions?
Would you do it?

Design Features | Drop Top Customs by Convertible Builders, LLC.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Personally, I think they're gorgeous with the top down, kinda weird looking with the top up. I wouldn't ever do a convertible with a particularly high powered vehicle; I've seen the old T-Top Trans Ams twist with the torque. Not saying it couldn't be stiffened well enough to handle it, but I'd be worried about it. I agree with you though, the noise and build quality would be a major consideration and potential deal breaker.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
had a 01 stang and a 03 SVT, both were converts. Body twist was horrible on both as soon as you modded them a bit. Granted they were smaller lighter cars, but they weren't near 700 HP either. Amazing what the roof pillars do for rigidity.

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
I'd do it. They are so reenforced. It's adds like 1000 pounds to it. I think they are the nicest looking cars to do a drop top

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I think they look amazing. With your Horsepower level though, you'll definitely need to look into a roll bar to stiffen it all.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Tell you what, I priced it for my R/T...while price isn't much concern, 18 grand seemed too ridiculous...that's just me though. On a side note regarding performance; you will twist the crap out of the car, there is not enough bracing to be added to replace what your cutting out...just a heads up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback, fellas.

The look with the top up is starting to grow on me, however it would likely be down more than up as Texas has the right climate (most of the time).

Kinda depends on the color of the car as to whether it's more attractive than another. The black top doesn't really "do it" for me.

I wonder if the value of the car would take a major hit or not. I would imagine it would be just desirable if for sale as a hard top coupe would be, but who knows which way that could go. Not sure how insurance would interpret either. Coupe or non factory convertible.

Dodge should have offered this option long ago. Ford and Chevrolet are obviously ahead of the game with the option being offered.

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I think they look amazing. With your Horsepower level though, you'll definitely need to look into a roll bar to stiffen it all.
This is also something I was thinking about. I've decided on installing a 6 point RB. Wondering how it would look with the top down even with it being the same color as the car. Header Orange w/ charcoal interior.

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Tell you what, I priced it for my R/T...while price isn't much concern, 18 grand seemed too ridiculous...that's just me though. On a side note regarding performance; you will twist the crap out of the car, there is not enough bracing to be added to replace what your cutting out...just a heads up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I hear ya.

I'm not giving up the power, period. I already have roughly $35 grand worth up mods into this car. I plan on NEVER giving up this car, ever. Another $18K invested is something I don't believe would necessarily add to the value. Insurance may not cover that cost either. Too many questions arise when you really start to get into it.

·
Super Moderator
15,777 Posts
I wonder if the value of the car would take a major hit or not. I would imagine it would be just desirable if for sale as a hard top coupe would be, but who knows which way that could go.

Not sure how insurance would interpret either. Coupe or non factory convertible.
Generally the aftermarket convertible conversions don't sell as well, unless its a known high end builder.

Since the quality of execution and experience of the builder vary a lot, this is a major factor why at resale these conversions take a big hit.

The other factor is a high hp convertible is going to be a compromise with the additional stresses from the increased power put through the structure.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
We've got a member in the Challenger Owners of Las Vegas with a GWE R/T convertible, R/T Mopar hood and it's a really nice looking car. She always has the top down. You have to be a hard core convertible person however to live with snapping the boot cover and I'm sure it's noisy but the rear quarter windows do go down and it's a striking car!

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is definitely a gorgeous car.

As far as aesthetics go this is definitely the ultimate mod.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
What is the cost?

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
What is the cost?
Odevalech mentioned $18K when he checked on pricing. I haven't received a reply to my email to the builder as of yet.

To 3boystoys:

What is the name of the dealer that had them up for sale?

The builder of these mentions on their site that they had worked closely with Chrysler/Dodge when they introduced the convertible Challenger back in '09 or '10. Was thinking maybe there would be a hint of something showing up in the future. Wondering also what kind of a warranty hit one would take ....... maybe there's some type of a relationship between the two companies?

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Generally the aftermarket convertible conversions don't sell as well, unless its a known high end builder.

Since the quality of execution and experience of the builder vary a lot, this is a major factor why at resale these conversions take a big hit.

The other factor is a high hp convertible is going to be a compromise with the additional stresses from the increased power put through the structure.
This company worked with Chrysler at one of the past SEMA shows when unveiling the concept. I would hope that would throw them into the "high end" builder arena. Haven't really looked at any other companies to know what competition is out there.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts