1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Does anyone have this and if so how well does it actually work?

I am wondering if it really only works in "darker" light or if it will also work in a bright garage or outside? Or vice versa as in it works in all natural or artificial lighting conditions?

Swirl-Finder Tech Light - Lighting & Power - In Your Garage - Griot's Garage
Certain blemishes can stand out better under certain types of lighting or appear differently. ....incandescent, fluorescent, halogen, led, etc. As woosch mentioned, professionals will sometimes use an assortment of lights to check their work. A dark garage/shop can amplify the effectiveness.

Personally, I find having a powerful handheld is good for spot checking but as I work (when polishing) I rely mostly on my 1000w halogen worklamps. ....and even periodically roll the car out into the sunlight.

I have no idea how effective the Griots light is but there are a variety of popular choices out there.

Here's a video from a detailer showing a half-corrected panel using a 500w halogen and then a tactical LED flashlight (ignore the wetsanded part in the middle). You can see how the blemishes are more prominent with the flashlight and even some marring appears on the corrected side:

Here's the thread it came from:

..Fenix PD30 or LED Lenser P7.. - - Detailing World -

Fenix and Lenser are a couple of popular tactical LED flashlights folks like to use for this sort of thing. The Sungun that is metoned in the first post works very well but is upwards of $300+.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts