Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2017 SXT Plus 'Pitch Black on Black on Black'
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, looking for opinions on a company and brakes in general (hope this is the right section.)

Looking to replace front and rear rotors and pads. I came across these and did a bit of research, but where better to turn for help than my Challenger brethren ;)

Max Advanced Brakes <link

I know the black comes off with the pads, but the black should remain in the slots and drills and look pretty sweet imo.
Are slotted and drilled played out? Not really sure, so that's why I'm asking for general opinions on the look and company. Obviously open to suggestions (y)
Thanks

·
Registered
2011 SXT
2,933 Posts
Id stick to a reputable brand and not so much flash when it comes to Pads and Rotors, Drilled and Slotted do offer a lot less dust / noise and keeps the warping down.
Getting ready to go with the Powerstop Z23's full Rotor and Pad kit on my SXT.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You make a valid point. I did some research on the company and they seem very legit actually.
I've also checked out the Z23's on americanmuscle.com. Appreciate the reply and opinion (y)

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,106 Posts
R1 Concepts eLINE, also available in black zinc coating. The brake pad area will wear off, but the hats, vanes, and for a while at least, chamfered holes and slots will stay black and won't rust

You just missed 30% off for Black Friday though

A Guy

Reactions: unloopme

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,429 Posts
Not a fan of any "drilled" rotors for street use. Too many potential issues with them.
After market (or possibly even factory) drilled rotors can be a problem.

But I ran a set of factory "drilled" rotors on a car of mine for nearly 150K miles with no issues. The brakes finally wore out and had to be replaced. The rear rotors were worn but not yet to the point the wear warning light was on.

It is important to note the rotors had holes in them but they were not drilled holes but made when the rotor was cast. The holes were all chamfered.

Cast iron subjected to heating/cooling like brake rotors does not do well with holes drilled in it but cast holes are fine. But the holes have to be chamfered to ensure the very hard/abrasive "skin" on the surface of the cast holes never contacts the pads.

My advice is if the holes are drilled vs. cast avoid the rotors. And even with rotors with cast holes when the pads are worn replace the rotors at the same time as the pads. Rotors with holes in them are more likely to develop problems (cracks) if they get too "thin".

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Appreciate all the replies fellas (y)

Got another question. What diameter on the front rotors?
I've seen 12.60" and 13.58" as both fitting my vehicle for some reason.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,106 Posts
if you have 2 piston front brakes (a SXT Plus should), the fronts are 13.6" and the rear are 12.6" (344.9mm - 320mm)

Most places will have you select 1 piston or 2 in front

A Guy

Reactions: unloopme

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Your original tire size decides what brakes you have, so look on your door jamb loading information sticker.

If you had 18's then you have smaller brakes, if they were 20's then will be the bigger rotors and two piston calipers.

All rear brake rotors the same size but the rears are solid with 18's and vented with 20's.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: A Guy

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
OK and so if it comes up again, you have the BR5 brakes, the same as the standard R/T brakes, so should help when you order brake parts, always tell them you have an R/T.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts