Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2019 SXT Blacktop
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From my understanding my 3.6L V6 takes regular 87 octane gas. First is that an accurate statement? The dealer empathized that higher performance gas would be wasting money. Second do higher quality gas brands such as Chevron with Techron or Shells have a real benefit? I find myself thinking about things I never cared about before with my car, I'd just go to the cheapest gas station in town no matter the brand.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT 392
195 Posts
I always use a top tier fuel station.

Shell, BP, around here.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2020 Challenger GT - Pitch Black w/Blacktop package
20 Posts
I'll bump this thread, good question FCB. These are questions I also have and it seems like there's a lot of 'noise' out there (differing opinions etc). How do we know what's real?

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,220 Posts
The 3.6 is made to run on 87. The 5.7 is ok to run on 87 but 89 is recommended. The 6.1 and 6.4 require 91 or higher.

Reactions: Dennis H

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,471 Posts
More than 87 will not gain you any advantage. Using top tier gas however does have formulation benefits

A Guy

Reactions: Stitches1974

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT 392
195 Posts
Guess I'll be paying the 10 extra cents at the Chevron or driving the 4mi to the Costco. Thanks Guy
Interesting here in Indiana, a lot of times top tier fueling station is the same price as non top tier. Is anything it is maybe 2 or 3 cents more.

·
Registered
2019 SXT Blacktop
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would Costco be considered top tier?
According to that link that Guy posted yes.

Interesting here in Indiana, a lot of times top tier fueling station is the same price as non top tier. Is anything it is maybe 2 or 3 cents more.

Right up the street there are about 3 gas stations on the corner, one called Alliance pretty much makes it's business by having their gas be 9-11 cents cheaper then the other 2. But that's here in CA where gas has like a 2.25 tax on gas.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
557 Posts
In NJ it seems like a lot of the top tier gas stations also have the cheapest prices. Based off of my logs, Shell>BP

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,855 Posts
More than 87 will not gain you any advantage. Using top tier gas however does have formulation benefits

A Guy
The top tiers usually cost more because of added extras like detergents and other stuff that help keep injectors and fuel system parts cleaner (which is what A Guy meant by added formulation).

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
From my understanding my 3.6L V6 takes regular 87 octane gas. First is that an accurate statement? The dealer empathized that higher performance gas would be wasting money. Second do higher quality gas brands such as Chevron with Techron or Shells have a real benefit? I find myself thinking about things I never cared about before with my car, I'd just go to the cheapest gas station in town no matter the brand.
The correct or acceptable gasoline octane number is in the owners manual. In some cases if the engine requires "premium" gasoline it will say use 91 but 90 is ok. Or it will give a minimum octane below which you should not use.

As an example, of sorts, here is what my Hellcat owner's manual has to "say":
These engines are designed to meet all emissions regulations, provide optimal fuel economy and performance when using high-quality unleaded “Premium” gasoline having a posted octane number of 91 as specified by the (R+M)/2 method. The use of 91 or higher octane “Premium” gasoline is required in these engines.

A gasoline test -- published in a UK car mag some years ago -- which I know I know is for UK gasoline but the basics are the same -- found that while often "supermarket" (discount) gasoline was pretty good sometimes it was not.

The reason being supermarket gas stations live/die by the price of gasoline. They seek the least expensive gasoline. Now sometimes these are towards the upper end of the quality spectrum, but other times not so much.

Another factor found to affect gasoline performance was staleness. The advice was to buy from a busy station. Being busy it will receive frequent deliveries. (At one Shell station on I-35 south of KC MO I was talking the tanker delivery truck driver and he said some days he can make 4 deliveries to this station.)

Any rate the gasoline test found Shell V-Power to be the best of the street gasoline.

This is my experience. My cars just feel a bit more powerful burning Shell gasoline. Techs at the local dealer told me their experience is the same.

That said with some cars -- older cars with a N/A engine -- a tank of Chevron Supreme can perk up the engine.

Bottom line is I tend to use Shell V-Power in my cars but I have to admit that like now with gasoline prices up some: Shell is now charging $3.55/gallon (and the nearby Chevron station is charging $3.59/gallon) for 91 octane I have been filing up the Hellcat at the downtown Speedway gas station. The price per gallon last time I filled up with 30 cents less than Shell was charging.

And so far the Hellcat engine "likes" Speedway gasoline.

Scheduled to leave town on a long road trip next week. On the road at least once out of CA I'll probably mostly run Shell V-Power. I might give Chevron Supreme a try just to see if the Hellcat engine reacts to this but I don't expect it to.

·
Premium Member
3,242 Posts
OP, you should always use top tier gas. If you don't, you should occasionally use a fuel system cleaner like Chevron Techron to help keep the injectors and valves clean. Most vehicles these days are direct injection. Luckily Challengers still use port injection. With port injection the fuel/air mixture passes over the valves and helps clean them. With direct injection it does not. So with a DI engine you can't clean the valves and that is the big problem with them. Carbon builds up like crazy. Some European brands have a 30k mile requirement to remove the intake manifold and blast the valves with crushed walnuts to clean them and Ford's turbo powered lawnmower engines, well, they say to just buy a new head when the carbon builds up too much. Any attempt to clean will destroy their turbos. A lot of added expense for the customer just for the one mpg increase and a little more power of a DI engine. So if you ever get a vehicle with a DI engine you MUST use top tier and the specific engine oil the manufacturer recommends to postpone the buildup. Some makes like Toyota are using a combo DI/Port system to remedy the problem but there are still many DI only engines out there (GM for example).

·
Registered
2019 M6 Scat Pack
318 Posts
The other day I accidently refilled the tank on the SC with 87. I was very worried and my first thought was to siphon it out and put it into the Expedition. But then I had a thought and went to Autozone and put in some octane booster. Crisis averted.

·
Registered
14,487 Posts
They'll run on anything in an emergency, somebody just ran thru a tank of E85 on a Hellcat and no issue.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
On Order - 2020 Scat Pack Hellraisin Shaker
364 Posts
The regular vs. premium gas debate is always a lively one. I probably should pop some popcorn and enjoy the entertainment. 🤪

In my opinion.... When I put the right foot on the floor, I want to be confident I have provided my vehicle with everything it needs to perform the way I expect. I run premium in everything, always have, always will. I just sold & replaced our two daily drivers. One at 311k, the other at 328k on their original motors, never rebuilt. Granted regular maintenance is a big part of that longevity too. The bottom line is I believe I will get out of my vehicles what I put in to them, and a diet of premium fuel is one part of that.

Your opinion will likely be different. I will respect it, but you won't change my mind.

·
Registered
14,487 Posts
Right, foot to the floor is totally different. But in an emergency, you can run 87 even in the mighty Hellcat. After one of the hurricanes around here, it was weeks before you could find premium.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 33 Posts