Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to add some color to the engine bay. I want to get the billet 392 engine dress up kit in red anodized

Billet Challenger 392 Under Hood Engine Kit

and a catch can in red anodized with braided hoses

The other thing I have been thinking about is putting some color on the fuel rail covers.

I put some pin striping on one of them just to get an idea of how they would look. I think to get them to last would require powdercoating or paint. not sure if powdercoating works in an engine bay.

So, what do you think?
Just the stripes
or stripes and "HEMI" letters
or
do the Stripes, and the entire "392 HEMI" in red.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Like it all

Dadstoy-
I think however you choose to to do it, it will look sharp. Matching the fuel rail cover's highlight color to the billet pieces would be pretty killer. And whatever combination you decide looks good to you, whether just the stripes, just the hemi, the hemi and stripes, etc - do what you like. Someone else is always going to like it different than whatever you do! :notallthere: LOL!

Ref the powder coat - think it will look great and be extremely durable since it bonds to the metal. May have to be a certain type for the heat, but will last forever when done right. Plus, I think that more and more powder coating vendors are able to do small pieces for less money, as it continues to increase in demand.

Your car is going to look great!
APM

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, thats what I do not know about powdercoating, these fuel rail covers are plastic not metal. not sure if you can powdercoat plastic.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I agree, it'll be hard to go wrong with any of those choices. I guess I like contrast so I might just do the rails and Hemi and leave 392 untreated. That Billit set is gonna look good. I've been thinking about the same thing. Red always looks good on an engine. I gotta decide between red, or blue to match my stripes....

·
Registered
531 Posts
thanks, thats what I do not know about powdercoating, these fuel rail covers are plastic not metal. not sure if you can powdercoat plastic.

Don't think you can powder coat plastic. I think they sell colored covers?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Affirmative on the paint. If you prep it right, use an adhesive promoter for the plastic, you'll be fine. Lots of guys have done some amazing things to the 5.7 plastic engine covers with paint. Likewise, theres some good looking painted 6.1 stock covers (plastic) out there in the forums. No reason you can't do the same with the 392 covers.

I'd say do the stripes and "HEMI" in red - leave the "392" in the original color for some contrast. Throw in that stuff from BT and you're on your way. As more items come out for the 392, you may want to do more. It can be a little addictive once you get a theme going...

Here's a shot of my 6.1 engine bay. Started with a couple of things from my MOPAR bucks incentive (CAI and tower brace), then....well, you know...

Attachments

·
Registered
559 Posts
hemi.....good call on the "addictive"....once you start you wont know when to stop...if ya ever do :) dadstoy.....use ur imagination bud...make it ur own...who cares what anyone else thinks if you like it! good call on the adhesive promoter hemi, i said primer but its what i meant. as per the painter guy neighbor...its a MUST.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I agree, it'll be hard to go wrong with any of those choices. I guess I like contrast so I might just do the rails and Hemi and leave 392 untreated. That Billit set is gonna look good. I've been thinking about the same thing. Red always looks good on an engine. I gotta decide between red, or blue to match my stripes....
I agree with this idea. Think it would look awesome.

·
Registered
175 Posts
A heads up in case you haven't seen the red anodize in person, it is sort of dark, a very close match to Dodge's Inferno Red which to me anyway is almost a burgundy. That might be the shade you are looking for which is cool but thought I would throw that out there just in case.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Hmmm. Burgundy sounds darker than I'd want. May have to lean towards blue.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A heads up in case you haven't seen the red anodize in person, it is sort of dark, a very close match to Dodge's Inferno Red which to me anyway is almost a burgundy. That might be the shade you are looking for which is cool but thought I would throw that out there just in case.
Hey, thanks for letting me know that. I would not of expected a dark red and might of been disappointed. Thanks very much. By your signature it looks like your engine bay is pretty well dressed. can you post a picture or two.

thanks again.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hey, thanks for letting me know that. I would not of expected a dark red and might of been disappointed. Thanks very much. By your signature it looks like your engine bay is pretty well dressed. can you post a picture or two.

thanks again.
Sure can. I just installed the 6.1 manifold & 90mm TB a couple of weeks ago.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts