Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a very "high end" establishment here in Houston...works mainly on lambirghinis, Benz, etc...that have a sealent application that I am thinking about doing...around $300...called opti-coat...think that's right....no waxes required for 2 years...god I hate waxing my car...what yall think?....anybidy heard of this?...i think it's very new..i don't mind spending a little extra on "my baby"

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I've always been skeptical of these paint sealants. I guess if your just going to keep the car for a few years then trade it in but if your going to keep it long term who knows how or what this will do to the paint after 5-10 years

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT Core
553 Posts
You can buy that for a third of that price don't know how hard it is to apply maybe someone can give some insight to applying.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I had it done professionally to my car, using the "pro" version. They claim it's lifetime, but I don't keep vehicles much more than 2-3 years so I won't ever test that theory.

Anyway, I decided that instead of washing and waxing my black beauty all the time, I wanted to drive her more since Pittsburgh averages something like 57 nice days a year.

This stuff works. I'm extremely pleased with the results as dirt just falls right off. I used Adams detail spray when drying and she comes out like a mirror.

My guy charged 500 bucks which included 1 step paint correction and clay barring.

Justin

PS I did tons of research because I was always skeptical of sealants as well, but this stuff is relatively new to the US market and I could barely find any negative reviews about it. Most of the negative reviews that I did find where from people that applied it, incorrectly, themselves.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
I agree with you about hating to wax cars. Lifes too short to spend a entire day waxing a car? Last vehicle I waxed was My 1974 VW Bus camper, and that was 7-8 years ago?

My 2000 Dogge Ram was waxed once when I first bought it, my 2009 Jetta has never been waxed and still looks great.

So now I have a Challenger that wants to suck up what free time I have?

I did break down and buy a can of wax and will wax this weekend.

I'm not sure I would spend $300.00 on a Dodge, nothing special about the mass produced paint finish. Now if it was a hand built exotic high value veihicle you may have reason to spend that kind of money.

:guiness:.

·
Super Moderator
16,633 Posts
I'd skip that - there are better approaches.

If you don't like doing the work get yours detailed/polished/waxed by a pro each year and you'll have better results.

Removing the contaminants/winter grime/road grime and polishing and applying a protectant (wax) is what yields the best results.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Did anyone see that new paint coat from Nissan? It keeps dirt and rain from sticking on a car for at least 3 years! There's a video online. I think its called the Nissan Note car paint.

No car washes for at least 3 years. I wonder what the cost is

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
133 Posts
+1 for opti-coat, it's awesome stuff!

I did break down and buy a can of wax and will wax this weekend.
I have what I believe to be a well-founded fear of wax that comes in a can :scratchhead:

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
That's a good price for getting your car coated, and like someone said above, OPTI-coat is supposed to be lifetime, versus C-Quartz which I coated my car with, which is only supposed to last a few years depending...

As far as applying it yourself, there are pretty strict climate controls that you need to be sure you are satisfying, and you need the car absolutely CLEAN before you put it on.

A good friend of mine is a professional detailer, he does plastic trim and wheels in opti-coat all the time, but for paint, especially on blacks or bright colors, C-quartz just seems to look better, clearer, shinier and deeper in our opinion.

People with a negative opinion of these coatings are living in the past. They still require some work and cleaning, but nothing like the old school methods.

A coating does require a good cleaning from time to time, you are supposed to use either SONAX spray, I just use a liquid wax called RE-LOAD on mine every few months for a quick touch up to perfection!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
great advise, info guys....i think I'm going to do it. Now..they also have a $500 ceramic window tint they do using hyper optik which Is supposed to be top of the line.....thst may be pushing it...i can get 3m color stable for $200....crap...maybe 'll just do it.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
$500 is a lot for a window tint. Do they have LLUMAR?

·
Registered
407 Posts
I've heard nothing but great things regarding opti-coat. Do it if you can.

Me personally, I love having a car this nice to wash and wax. I clayed it, polished and waxed it this morning. :)

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
$500 is a lot for a window tint. Do they have LLUMAR?
its not lummar....its a somewhat new material from Europe called Huber optic....or something like that....they apply it alot to very high end cars. My son, who is big into this stuff, swears by it. They gave me a demo at the whoop with a heat lamp..unreal how much heat it deflects..its a nano-cramic tint...i think I'm just going to splurge and do it...you only live once...

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Sounds good, just never heard of it, but they are coming out with new stuff all the time :) I got to thinking a bit about your $300 opti-coat, I guess I'm a little leary because the price is so low at $300.

I don't know how new your car is, but you want your paint as clean and buffed out as possible before the opti-coat goes on, and this is your chance to correct any scratches and streaks that can be fixed, because once the opti-coat is on, your paint is kind of forever sealed. I would just be sure to get them to state what they will do to your car(hopefully it's just more than simply washing and drying it) before they coat it. I would consider having any paint correction work done that needs it, and while that may cost more, it is worth it.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Did anyone see that new paint coat from Nissan? It keeps dirt and rain from sticking on a car for at least 3 years! There's a video online. I think its called the Nissan Note car paint.

I saw that over on AutoBlog...looks interesting, but living in the midwest, most of my "washing time" is spent removing bug guts from the front end of the car, and I don't think that new Nissan Paint will help that very much :smokin:

·
Registered
215 Posts

I did see that nissian holds the patent on that paint right now and not introducing that paint to the usa yet. but being a experienced painter I wanna get my hands on some. Supposed to create like a barrier in between the paint (your car)and the air wild stuff. If makes it down here iam sure its not gonna be cheap

·
Registered
42 Posts
There is a very "high end" establishment here in Houston...works mainly on lambirghinis, Benz, etc...that have a sealent application that I am thinking about doing...around $300...called opti-coat...think that's right....no waxes required for 2 years...god I hate waxing my car...what yall think?....anybidy heard of this?...i think it's very new..i don't mind spending a little extra on "my baby"
Local guy here uses it and cquartz finest both have excellent results and lasts up to 2 yrs
How's Opti Guard Lasting??  10 month update on 2011 Journey - Flawless Reflections Auto Detailing 519-965-5911
My R/T getting done may 30th full detail. I'll post before and afters

·
Registered
260 Posts
My dealer sells a coating called Perma-Plate. This covers the entire car, inside and out. Would the outside be similar to Opti-coat? I never heard of either of these coatings and was considering it but I am skeptical. Seems a lot of positives for Opti-coat.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
My dealer sells a coating called Perma-Plate. This covers the entire car, inside and out. Would the outside be similar to Opti-coat? I never heard of either of these coatings and was considering it but I am skeptical. Seems a lot of positives for Opti-coat.
Take a pass. A quick Google search yields lots of negatives. Back in the day they tried to foist plastic seat covers on buyers, today it's high-profit/low-value stuff like this.

Do your research.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts