Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed a yellow top optima? If so, how was fitment? Looking at part no. 9012-021.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
40 Posts
The yellow top is deep cycle battery, the red top is for general automotive with cold cranking amps.

I use to run Optimas for years. After they sold to Johnson Controls in 2000 and started making then in Mexico, their quality went downhill and their warranty isn't as good anymore. Not worth the high cost for those batteries, IMO.

If you want a good AGM battery, I would look at the Sears Diehard Platinum. They are manufactured by Odessey and about the same price as Optima, except way more reliable.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I appreciate the input, and I did not know that about the diehard battery, I'll pass that along

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Coming up on my 5th winter on the OEM battery and will likely change before it hits. I'm going with a Duralast (AutoZone) yellow top. Have used Duralast batteries for damned near 25 years now both red and yellow tops in a half dozen different vehicles with much success. None were duds and all lasted 5+ years. Most would have probably made it longer but I kinda have a 5 year rule.

I know, I know, AutoZone vs. Optima? Pay what you want, I need gas money! :D

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Back in the day, before Optima was Optima, it was owned and developed by Gates Energy (as in Gates Rubber/Hoses). Back then, they were extremely high quality batteries. My dad was an engineer for them, and helped develop the machine that rolls the cells in those batteries (called the 'beer can paster-winder).

Back then, he got piles of blems/rejects he would bring home. Our whole family ran them in all our cars....ran one in an old mustang I had for over 10 years before I sold the car.

But then, Gates sold that division, and they became optima, and QC went out the window.

They are still great batteries for specific/limited use, as in race cars and marine apps.....but I no longer trust them in my street cars....

·
Registered
681 Posts
Ran one in my old F-150 for over 10 years till I cracked the top about a year ago when I was removoing the terminal clamp to dissconnect it, replaced it with another Red Top Optima, thought they were still made like they were in the old days, will find out I reckon.

·
Premium Member
6,488 Posts
The yellow top is deep cycle battery, the red top is for general automotive with cold cranking amps.

I use to run Optimas for years. After they sold to Johnson Controls in 2000 and started making then in Mexico, their quality went downhill and their warranty isn't as good anymore. Not worth the high cost for those batteries, IMO.

If you want a good AGM battery, I would look at the Sears Diehard Platinum. They are manufactured by Odessey and about the same price as Optima, except way more reliable.
Red = Starter battery
Yellow = dual-purpose (starter + deep-cycle attributes)
Blue = Deep-cycle/Marine

I had thought previously that there was a Diehard Platinum that was the same group size as the OEM battery but there isn't. There's one that is close, though. I'll have to look at a previous post for the details.

·
Premium Member
6,488 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
I don't know where they are made any more, but back in development, and several years after, there were 3 factories running the cell winders. One in Denver, one in Missouri, and one in England. Pops was constantly traveling between them for several years to get everything working. Then, at the peak of their quality (mid 90s), Gates sold out to Optima, pops left the company, and Optima started caring more about sales quotas than quality.

If you ever find a 'GATES' battery that looks like an Optima (and believe it or not, I still run across them once in a blue moon, 20 years later)...well, that's one of Dad's ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yahooligan, is at batt.com a reputable company to order from? Having a hard time finding a local exide retailer

·
Premium Member
6,488 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts