Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys , i have a 180 jet t-stat and a Trinity tuner(as well as a lot of other mods).... i live in phx,az and travel on road trips to northern az all the time... should i set my fan temps according to outdoor temps(winter/summer) and the varied temps of the season to see the best HP/mileage, results?? or just keep the fan settings at what speedlogix recommended???

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Ambient temps won't affect your coolant temps, that's the whole point of the thermostat. ;) The only difference you may see is that during cold days the temp is a little bit closer to the t-stat's rating, but not enough to make any real difference.

The only time ambient temps may have a real impact is when your cooling system is undersized for the power output of the engine. If you're making a lot more power but have done nothing to the cooling system then it's not out of the realm of possibility to overheat or run hot in the summer and be fine in the winter, but generally speaking it's the t-stat's job to regulate the coolant temp and the fans' job to pull heat out of the radiator. If the coolant in the radiator is "too cool" then the t-stat will simply close or restrict the coolant flow so that the correct temperature is maintained.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
hey guys , i have a 180 jet t-stat and a Trinity tuner(as well as a lot of other mods).... i live in phx,az and travel on road trips to northern az all the time... should i set my fan temps according to outdoor temps(winter/summer) and the varied temps of the season to see the best HP/mileage, results?? or just keep the fan settings at what speedlogix recommended???
I would leave the High MPH fans as they are as the air flow through the radiator is sufficient to cool.
I run the Low MPH fans at 199 HS, 196 MS & 194 LS. This seems to work best in the Texas heat and doesn't cause the fans to run too much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts