Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a car a week ago, didn't sign anything. Can I cancel without causing a big issue, or problems for the dealership.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I ordered a car a week ago, didn't sign anything. Can I cancel without causing a big issue, or problems for the dealership.
Did you put a deposit down and what is, if known the status of the car now, is going down the line or?.

Some dealers will refund and some will not.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,052 Posts
You probably won't get your deposit back. But as said, can't hurt to ask.
Curious, why did you change your mind.
I doubt the dealer is going to be very happy with you.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
All deposits should be refundable (if not tell us who they are). Cancelling should be easy as everyone is dying for cars right now. I guess depending on what you ordered as I'm sure they would love a 392 as they can mark it up and get it. Nice that the vin came so fast I thought nothing was moving well. It won't be on their lot long and it may actually help them in getting it quicker since it is now loaded as a sold order.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger R/T Hellraisin M6
343 Posts
Dealer won't care at all. With the current shortage of vehicles on the lot, they're probably counting their lucky stars because now they'll be able to markup your order. I'm pretty sure that all deposits are refundable, but it may depend on the location.

Either way - nothing will happen if you cancel your order.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger SXT, Octane Red Metallic, Ruby Red/Black Int.
294 Posts
They shouldn't refund the deposit. You place an order in good faith and lay some money down to prove you want it. The dealer does not have to give it back but probably will depending on the circumstances and how you approach them about cancelling. Otherwise dealers would end up with cars with specific options that could be hard to sell (in normal times).

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Dealer won't care at all. With the current shortage of vehicles on the lot, they're probably counting their lucky stars because now they'll be able to markup your order. I'm pretty sure that all deposits are refundable, but it may depend on the location.

Either way - nothing will happen if you cancel your order.
This 100%. They might act like they care so they can justify keeping your deposit like they most likely will. They could really care less with the current shortage unless you ordered a manual or some weird combo that reduces the buyers pool.

·
Premium Member
4,052 Posts
This 100%. They might act like they care so they can justify keeping your deposit like they most likely will. They could really care less with the current shortage unless you ordered a manual or some weird combo that reduces the buyers pool.
"unless you ordered a manual"
There is a demand for these as well. Although sales #'s do show a preference for the A8 (and MDS???).
I demanded the M6, and glad I did.

They shouldn't refund the deposit. You place an order in good faith and lay some money down to prove you want it. The dealer does not have to give it back but probably will depending on the circumstances and how you approach them about cancelling. Otherwise dealers would end up with cars with specific options that could be hard to sell (in normal times).
This is why I inquired as to the reason for cancelling.
Emergency? No problem.
Whimsical nature, sorry.
But as the OP said, doesn't care about the $250.
Has more money than me I guess!! :LOL:

Reactions: Midlife Mischief

·
Premium Member
10,366 Posts
I was always told it’s refundable. None of my ordered cars ever had the dealer ask me for any money. My Challenger SRT at the time was the most expensive one ever made, the sticker was $53,000.

·
Registered
89 Posts
But what if the car came in and the dealer sold it to someone standing there for more money than the agreed upon numbers with the one who ordered it? Morals, integrity, acting responsibly, etc is a two way street. An agreement was made and someone is breaking that agreement, the deposit should not be refunded. I'm from an era when a handshake and a man's word actually meant something. And $250 is less than 5 fill-ups in a Scatpack, really a moot point.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
285 Posts
It's not rare for someone to cancel. A good dealership will not keep your deposit, they'll just sell the car off the lot. Heck, the first Scat Pack I drove had someone's name on the window sticker. I asked about it and they said the fellow changed his mind. Saw the same thing with a new Chevy pickup truck.

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
If your dealer is in the Bronx, they'll send Vinny over to bust your kneecaps.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
"unless you ordered a manual"
There is a demand for these as well. Although sales #'s do show a preference for the A8 (and MDS???).
I demanded the M6, and glad I did.
Of course there is some demand but the dealer will see a manual as a pool 1/10 the size and therefore might balk at someone walking away from it.

The reality though is that he will lose $250 which he doesn't care about and since he didn't sign anything the dealer can't do anything about it so everyone is free and clear.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
Johnny G, you are not the first guy-- nor the last-to cancel an order. If the car you ordered was reasonably equipped, the dealer will just take delivery and sell it to someone who wants what you ordered.

You lost $250. For the dealers time, this is a fair trade.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,439 Posts
Lots of folks complain about how the new car options are all in packages now. You can’t get option A without adding Package Z, which includes lots of other options not necessarily wanted or needed by the buyer.

Well, say hello to one of their favorite justifications for this build/option strategy.

Yes, it also means more profit on any given build due to the extra options from the added packages, but they won’t come out and admit to that one.

What they will trot out, with a bit of truth in it, is these special builds would be harder to sell when cancelled by the original buyer, if the buyer were allowed to option his/her car à la carte.

But by forcing the buyers to add these packages of options for singular popular items, they ensure the custom configured cars are still relatively attractive to a different buyer when the original one bails before taking delivery.

Reactions: Byron
1 - 20 of 79 Posts