Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just going to let everyone know that I ordered the 3,000 rpm stall converter from Stu at Inertia Motorsports. Should be delivered and installed in about 3 weeks. I will let everyone know how it works out.

Fyi, this is the same converter that "wishing for hemi" has (LX forum member, runs a 13 sec 1/4 mile with the V6 on NOS):thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
yeah you are lucky with the 5 speed! Post some picks of your ride, I like the idea of 17" rims..

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Converter came in last night. Should have it installed on Monday. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
So i'm not 100% sure on the gains this will provide? It seems like all it does is let you rev higher while power breaking so you can launch? So its purely drag race focused?

Thanks.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My understanding is that for normal driving it will be almost the same.

The gains come from when you push on throttle. At a stop, if you let off the brake then floor the gas, the engine revs to 2000-2500 rpms, then the stock converter engages, pulling the rpms down and giving you the "bog" feeling. The 3000 rpms stall converter will not engage until 3000-3100 rpms, allowing the engine to be in a higher power band and not "bog" down.

This mod should also help the future superchager install, allowing the engine to make more boost and power when the converter engages.

FYI, I don't like to power brake. Feels like you are "cheating".:indifferent:

IMHO, the only thing the SE really lacks is the ability to fry tires on a regular take off. This should remedy that.:smokin:

So i'm not 100% sure on the gains this will provide? It seems like all it does is let you rev higher while power breaking so you can launch? So its purely drag race focused?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts

Thanks.
on my LS1 Camaro the performance converter worked two ways:
Drag race, at idle you just romped on first yellow and the converter flashed up and launched the car, with no other changes the stock Camaro was in the 12s.

On the street, just stomping on the gas you would feel the converter lock up clutch decouple and the engine would feel like it would go into free rev and bang the torque would hit the rear wheels, the car would kick sideways and you were off for shiznits and grins.

In all cases, you are trading RPM for torque, but first you must build RPM.

So in the case of the LS1 Camaro the converter was great for both street and drag, not so good for autoX, not becuase it does not work there, but the sloppy feel between the engine and the rear wheels, then too much torque makes for a soggy exit that has to be anticipated, it is more like driving a turbo than a V8, also the heat buildup is crazy on an autoX so an external cooler is a must.

Fuel economy is unaffected. Later I got a 5 pack or was it 6 dunno now, lock up clutch installed form a GN? with a remote switch this lets you lock the converter up solid in 4 gear thru the traps gives you a couple of MPH to the speed as the converter is no longer slipping.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great write-up oldman!

I was thinking of having a trans service done a week or two after the converter install. Good idea?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I don't know much about the trans to tell you, on the LS1 Camaro a good quality trans oil went a long way and change it every 30 to 40 k. I did not need a trans cooler, I live in Texas. Others will have more experience in the area. You will be happy with the converter, it was the best mod I've ever done... on any car I've owned. You are lucky with a 5 speed!

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
well good luck with the mod and let us know how it's going

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, this has turned into one big FRAKKING MESS!!!

Before I get started, I would like to clarify that Stu has been great and has no fault in this mess.

I dropped off the car Monday morning for the converter swap. Supposed to be ready around 5 pm. I get a call a 5:30 pm from the shop. The converter has a stripped out mounting thread and cannot be used. I call Stu who calls Edge (converter builder) who builds me another converter. Car sits on rack until Thursday morning. About 1 pm. on Thursday the shop calls and says that new converter splines were too tight and broke the ears off the transmission pump.

As of Monday night the original $500 installed turned into $900 because of having to pull and replace the second converter.

As of this afternoon, the bill will be +$1,000 for replacing the transmission pump. Looking at a total of $1,900 for installing a converter.:notallthere:

WTF!!!

Edge admits there is a possibility of the first converter leaving with stripped threads. However, there is also the possibility that the shop messed up and cross threaded the bolt.

For the second converter, Edge states that all the converters for the NAG-1 are the same. Seems that Stu and Edge thinks the shop forced the converter on thereby sheering the ears on the trans pump.

Any thoughts? I am very flustered right now....:disgust:

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
well that f'n sucks ..... iv been following this post cause thats my next mod .... post up what the final outcome is

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, the mess has worked itself out.:)

On friday morning I contacted the manager for their north shop who helped me contact the shop's owner. After a peaceful conversation, we agreed upon the original price from monday night. My wife and I waited on the car at the shop for 1.5 hours friday evening as they were finishing up. Everything was peaceful and the way it should have been all along. Even got a free car wash.

About the converter. It drives like stock until you go over 1/2 throttle. Then it jumps to 3,100 rpm and runs. It will definitely make a mess out of the back tires on a take off (no power brake). I think this will compliment the MM supercharger well when I install it this summer.

Also, the shop's owner was selling three of his 4 post lifts and replacing them with 2 post lifts. Considering the grief I went through last week, he made me a killer deal on the "small" one, a 9,000 lbs lift. Cost of the lift plus the converter install is less than the shop manager was going to hit me for on friday morning just for the install. They will even take it apart and load it on my trailer for me.:thumbsup:

All's well that ends well....:)

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Now that you've got it installed do you see any change in fuel economy?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts