Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Ordering a Hellcat, I think...

10K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  Scatpacksam 
#1 ·
So Friday, My credit was approved but the only Hellcat that the dealer had, just wasn't my color. As I was headed for the door, I ask about ordering one in the color I wanted. Well I was told that of course ordering Hellcat's was Restricted at the moment and that they wouldn't know what the dealerships allotment would be until the beginning of the month(Today). Then a Manager said he'd check with his rep, but the rumor mill had it that they weren't even taking orders in April and possibly May so I left . Anyhow, I had no sooner walked in the door when my salesmen called me back and said the rep got back with to his manager and it was good news for me. He said that if he pushed the order thru as sold, for a $1,000 deposit (non refundable) "I would have my Hellcat made to order in 6 to 8 weeks". So I went thru the build specs I wanted in my car as I was on the phone and let them charger my credit card for a grand. This was Friday. Today I received a text from my salesman informing me that a vin number was generated for my new hellcat and he gave it to me.

?????

Does this make sense as to the order of operations? Never ordered a new car and just wanted to run it by the brotherhood
Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Semper Fi

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I just ordered a Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body last Tuesday on March 26th and I got both my VIN Number and VON Number the next day on March 27th for my car. Your experience has me wondering about a question that I've been asking and trying to get answered on here in the forums that nobody has an answer to. You say that you just received a VIN Number for your Hellcat order just yesterday which was Monday, April 1st. The Brampton plant up in Ontario, Canada that makes all the different model Challenger cars has temporarily closed starting on Sunday, March 31st and they will be closed for the next 2 weeks from April 1st up until and including April 14th. They will be reopening back up again on April 15th.

What I'm wondering is "HOW" were you able to get a VIN Number for your Hellcat order while the Brampton plant is temporarily closed?? I myself am having a hard time trying to find out from Dodge Customer Service and from the dealer whether the current status on my Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body can move up to a D1 Status with a Build Date from its current D Status that it's in right now. If the Brampton plant is currently closed like it is and if you already received a VIN Number for your Hellcat order while the plant is temporarily closed, then I wonder whether there's a possibility that I will receive a D1 Status with a Build Date for my order too? Another thing that gets me thinking here is that if you received a VIN Number for your Hellcat order while the Brampton plant is currently temporarily shut down right now, then the VIN Number that you acquired was generated "electronically" by Dodge's automated computer system without requiring the Brampton plant to be open and production going on in it. As I found out, when we place an order for a Challenger through the Dodge dealer, the first few stages of our new car order (acquiring the VIN Number and VON Number) that go through are generated "electronically" through the Dodge computer system. However, any stage that requires assembly also goes through Dodge's computer system, but it requires that the Brampton plant to be open and in full production mode for the assembly stages to register and update themselves.
So I'm wondering if Dodge has set up their computer system to have the capability to automatically generate the D Status and the D1 Status while the plant is temporarily closed just like it automatically generated your VIN Number and VON Number?? It would be nice to be able to find out the answer to this question. Nobody here or at Dodge Customer Service or at the dealer knows the answer to this question and they all give different answers to it. The only person who can clearly answer this question is someone who knows how the computerized Dodge ordering system works when the Brampton plant is temporarily shut down. There has to be some early ordering stages (like acquiring the VIN Number, Von Number, D Status and D1 Status with a Build Date) that occur "electronically" without requiring the Brampton plant to be open and operational. Otherwise, how else could've of you acquired your VIN Number like you did on April 1st while the plant was closed??

#3 ·
Makes sense from the dealer's perspective. It has your $1000 non refundable (??!!) deposit and among other things it means you are very unlikely to go to anotherr dealer and buy a car.

(Can a dealer really hold you to that non refundable deposit? I'm thinking a dealer might say that just to get a feel for how serious a shopper is but there are laws -- at least in some areas -- where a deposit can't be non-refundable.)

Maybe the car arrives in 6 to 8 weeks. I'm not current on how long it takes to build a car to a customer's specifications and deliver a car to a customer.

Be sure as soon as you can you review the order to ensure it is correct. Mistakes can be made and ordering over the phone is as mistake prone as any and more than some.

When the car comes in be sure it is correct, agrees with what you ordered. If it does not agree with the order you don't have to take the car, but with that non refundable deposit if this indeed the case you pay $1000 for the dealer's mistake.

#10 ·
Maybe the car arrives in 6 to 8 weeks. I'm not current on how long it takes to build a car to a customer's specifications and deliver a car to a customer.
I wouldn't count on 6 to 8 weeks. That's standard dealer talk.

Our second attempt took a mere 50 days from being ordered to delivered to the dealer, being "helped through the system" by inside sources. In comparison, the first one took four months and eight days to get to the dealer after it was built.

Hopefully this one will be quick, but six weeks is unrealistic even if the plant was open.

#4 ·
At least in Massachusetts, the 'non-refundable' deposit is in reality; refundable. Been there done that, with another dealership a dozen plus years ago. It took involving the AG and a month of hassle, but I got it back. Vowed never to get myself into a situation like that again.

You're order seems legit. Your order may initially be generated a VIN as part of the order process prior to the plant receiving it or attaching it.

Best of luck to you!!

#6 ·
Thanks, I'm more confident than I was yesterday to be sure. Yes they have my Loot, which might be enough to keep me hostage. But my happiness is priceless as are my dreams. The fact that My Scat has 30K+ on her is the only reason im making the move to a newer car. And quite frankly if they stopped making Challengers today, a Pro charger, headers and a tune would be very respectable and might even save my marriage:wiggle:

So you received you vin after a deposit, did you get a build sheet, I'm not sure how to check my Vin to see if the car was ordered correctly. Tell me more if you would how to track it. What should I ask my salesman for as far as documentation to bemore informed..

Thanks for everyone's replies

#7 ·
What kind of discount are you guys getting on the Hellcats by ordering one?

Here around the NC area quite a few are sitting on dealers lots and can be picked up up to 7k of sticker price and 6k for the Redeyes.

From what I heard that is the reason the factory is closing for a couple of weeks, too many dodge Challengers sitting in dealer lots.

#13 ·
When you ask Dodge customer service a simple question like “how long does it usually take for a vehicle to change over from D Status to D1 Status”, they have no clue. When I ask Dodge customer service a question like, “can a vehicle change from D Status to D1 Status “electronically” while the Brampton plant is temporary shut down for 2 weeks”, they are again clueless and don’t have an answer. Dodge customer service needs to know the answers to these types of questions because it’s not the first time that the Brampton plant has temporarily shut down like this with customer vehicle orders being in the D Status. They should be able to give a straight answer to these questions. But they don’t.

#14 ·
Thanks for your service brother!!! You guys are the best. Good luck with the Hellcat.

#17 ·
Delivery is an issue, I don't follow other makes, so no idea if it's across the board. I still say they can't tell you where it is because they know it's going to take a long time, and would rather appear clueless. A Guy

#18 ·
Supposedly they aren't allowed to give detailed information about where in the shipping process it is anymore, even if they can tell where the vehicle is by their computer.

In order of factual information, my experience has been that chat is almost useless, calling is hit or miss, and the dealer usually has good and timely info.

#19 ·
I just did an online "live chat" with Dodge Customer Service. I gave them my VIN Number and Von Number (Vehicle order Number) and they told me that my Challenger order has moved up from D Status to "D1 Status". It moved to D1 Status on April 2nd just 4 days ago. They also told me that the "Estimated Ship Date" for my car will be on April 17th.

I know that the Brampton assembly plant will reopen for production again on April 15th. Is it possible that my Challenger will be built in only 1 day, say on the 15th or the 16th of April when the plant reopens again and be shipped out on the next day on April 17th like their computer system says??? Or do you think that this is unlikely to happen and that my car will be built on April 17th or a few days after April 17th and be shipped out on the week of April 22nd? How accurate is the Ship Date of April 17th that Dodge Customer Service just gave me for my Challenger? Is that an accurate enough ship date or is it inaccurate and only an "estimated" ship date?

#21 ·
Why do you say that? What difference does it make if the vehicle is built on the 15th of April or any other day after the 15th? Most of these Challengers are built with quality issues to begin with no matter which day that they are built. Do you think that Tyrone, Bubba and Antwon the assembly line employees will drink a lot before the plant reopens causing them to be hung over and not build the car correctly?

#22 ·
Yeah, it was something like that I had in mind. Plus it may take a day or two for them to remember what went where.
Or where they were supposed to go in the first place.

#23 ·
That thought also crossed my mind too. However, I'm not buying the car that I special ordered. It's going to be a 3 year lease, so if there is anything wrong with it, the factory warranty will cover everything. I give the car back at the end of 3 years and won't have to live with or deal with quality problems that any fat assed drunk assembly worker(s) caused to my car because they returned to work with a hangover. That will be someone else's problem.

#24 ·
Leased or not, you're the one that has to deal with the lost time and dealer visits.

Besides, you may not mind, but it would take a lot before I took any of my vehicles to a dealer. Dealer visits seems to be a bit like the restarts after a yellow flag, they create new problems.

So unless you're in a real hurry, wouldn't it be better if your car was built on, say, the 18th?

#25 ·
I don't mind if my car is built on April 18th. I'm in no rush. I think that it will be built on the week that the plant reopens. However, I don't think that it will be built so soon on April 15th or on April 16th, the day after the plant opens. Plus, my car has to go into that special department where they put the wheel flares and the Hellcat rims, tires, special suspension and the Scat Pack racing stripe on the back trunk.

#26 ·
Yep, the build is only the first step. Between going to the upfitter and then getting shipped, it'll be a while before you see it.
Luckily for you, your car shouldn't be subjected to salt spray, like most winter builds are.

#28 · (Edited)
I’ve read about the railroad back up delays. However, the articles which I read about these delays that you are talking about are old and are from one year ago last summer. I doubt that there will be any delays with shipping when everyone else in here like me who ordered a Challenger got delivery of their car quickly without having to wait for an extra 1 or 2 months. The estimated delivery will probably in the beginning or before the middle of May. Plus, I live up here in the northeast in Massachusetts which is only 525 miles away southeast from the Brampton plant. If there are any delays, I doubt that it will be that bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.