Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be ordering my 2011 R/T Classic sometime this week or next.

I had initially decided to just go for automatic transmission. Is it absolutely essential I get the stick, though?

Also, what are the *must have* options?
Thanks.

·
Registered
585 Posts
if you can, get it fully loaded. you don't want to have any regrets later. But if nothing else get the nav system. they supposedly came out with a garmin system that is better than the existing nav unit. That comes with the hdd so u can download songs right to it and it also has a dvd player in it. Then u can get a lockpick(aftermarket) and add the camera to the nav screen. thats a must have cause you can't see out the back of these cars. Good luck let us know what u decide on.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
The tranny part is all up to what you want to do with it and so are the options. If your going to only use it to play than it's silly to get alot of options that your not going to use. I use mine for transportation and play so as you can see in my signiture I have alot of comfort features. If it's just speed you want then the classic package won't help. The super track pack is good if they offer it in 11s. If you give us some more info on what your looking for we can be more help.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
I can't tell you what to do because I don't know your situation, but I can tell you from experience that I bought my first Challenger R/T with an Automatic transmission and I regretted it almost immediately. So, I had no choice but to buy another Challenger this time I learned from my previous mistake and bought the 6-speed and also decided to upgrade to the SRT. I absolutely love rowing through the gears. It makes driving the car so much more fun.

But like I said, that's me. My Challengers aren't daily drivers so I don't have to worry about shifting in 5 o'clock traffic.

Good luck - Either way you're going to love the car.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
466 Posts
My advice is not to order, but wait and buy one off the lot. The threads of people waiting for their ordered cars are painful to read. Seriously, you are setting yourself up for a lot of sleepless nights and headaches. Chrysler can't even get their brochures out until the end of a model year.

·
Registered
301 Posts
My advice is not to order, but wait and buy one off the lot. The threads of people waiting for their ordered cars are painful to read. Seriously, you are setting yourself up for a lot of sleepless nights and headaches. Chrysler can't even get their brochures out until the end of a model year.
Johnman has some good advice. There are very few options on the 2011 R/T Classics.

Major ones are:
You have auto or manual (manual SOUNDS a ton better BTW and is cheaper this year...if you're on the fence, it is a no brainier to go manual)
interior appearance
Super Track Pack (if you are going to ever drive in the snow or cold, DO NOT GET. If you aren't going to drive in the snow, GET IT)
Sunroof - Pricey for what you get (to me)
Radio & Sound Groups & navigation. It is pretty pricey to upgrade. If you don't, the bluetooth U-connect is still supposed to work. I'm content using my phone for directions when I need it and to stream music to the car).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. I'm still unsure on the transmission, but am leaning closer to manual the more I think about it and ask around.

I'd take an RT Classic off the lot, but I'm set on a black car, and there isn't one available in my area right now. The SRT8 is more than I want to put out. Same with the Mopar10. No, I've been set on the RT Classic from the beginning so I'll stick to that.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I can't tell you what to do because I don't know your situation, but I can tell you from experience that I bought my first Challenger R/T with an Automatic transmission and I regretted it almost immediately. So, I had no choice but to buy another Challenger this time I learned from my previous mistake and bought the 6-speed and also decided to upgrade to the SRT. I absolutely love rowing through the gears. It makes driving the car so much more fun.

But like I said, that's me. My Challengers aren't daily drivers so I don't have to worry about shifting in 5 o'clock traffic.

Good luck - Either way you're going to love the car.:thumbsup:
Great thing about the Challenger R/T with a 6 speed, you don't have to do a lot of rowing, due to the wide power band. I used to own a 3/4 Ton Ram with a I6 Cummins and a 6 speed trans. It could be a ***** to drive in city traffic, due to a 3200 RPM redline, if you shifted through all the gears, which you don't have to do, owing to massive torque in the Cummins, and with the 5.7L Hemi, you don't have to shift gears as much due to a higher redline. I haven't driven my car since Aug (deployed to AFG) but IIRC, second will get you about 50 MPH before it redlines. I would start my truck off in second (1st on the G56 is a "hole" gear, for starting up a heavy trailer load.)

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I'll be ordering my 2011 R/T Classic sometime this week or next.

I had initially decided to just go for automatic transmission. Is it absolutely essential I get the stick, though?

Also, what are the *must have* options?
Thanks.

DONT ORDER IT......mine has been done and sitting in Canada for 4 weeks now......and people who didnt order one are going and picking one up at the local dealer for the same or less than i paid to order one....absolutely no benfit to ordering one .....unless your extremely fussy about getting the exact options.......

i ordered mine 4.5 months ago....it sucks....

wait until the dealer has a few and see if you like the automatic or stick

I will never order a car again

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
I ordered my car and I'm glad I did. I wanted the manual which included the L.S.D. and the better exhaust. I also wanted D.W.Blue. But, I didn't want leather, sunroof, EVIC, MyGIG, or a NAV radio. I never once regretted any option that I didn't have.

It seems like most dealers order their lot cars with several if not many options.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Order if you are really patient or really picky with options. Ordered mine in September knowing that production wouldn't start until December. My RT Classic was built on the 23rd of December and still is up there. However, we have had a lot of delays thanks to weather. I would feel if you ordered it is spring or summer, when things thaw out a little, then you should get your the 6-8 week estimated time.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I agree with Huggytree. As for as the tranny, After I retired from LE. I drove an 18wheeler for six years and got very tired of shifting gears. My pickup has a five speed standard tran. But I would hate to have to shift constantly in my car. As far as maintenance goes, the Auto may cost more due to servicing it. But to me it is worth it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I agree with Huggytree. As for as the tranny, After I retired from LE. I drove an 18wheeler for six years and got very tired of shifting gears. My pickup has a five speed standard tran. But I would hate to have to shift constantly in my car. As far as maintenance goes, the Auto may cost more due to servicing it. But to me it is worth it.
I can see why you would be tired of shifting that 9/10/13/18 Speed RoadRanger, and not tracking what your pickup is, but I've driven RoadRangers, 4,5,& 6 speed medium truck transmissions, and my 6 speed hooked to a Hemi, and they are all 180 degrees apart from the Challenger 5.7 R/T + TR6060. It's a matter of taste, terrain, traffic, and what you plan to do with it. If it's just a weekend car, and you plan to blow out the exhaust and work some hard-G turns, I'd go with the stick every day and 2x on Sundays. If you want to hit the dragstrip, well, I don't have to tell you that automatics make sense. Unless traffic is several miles of constant stop and go, you really don't do all that much shifting, due to the wide powerband.

In the city, you won't need 3d gear, and for example, if I take US 31 from Franklin to Greenwood (two bedroom communities south of Indy) the top speed is 50, and I rarely exceed 55, so 3-4 are my normal cruising gears in traffic. I generally avoid, and either take the backroads, or hit I-65 and run along at a solid 75 or so. I love to take the backroads (all paved) and practice my heel-toe downshifting. Plus, no traffic to deal with, unless it's bicycle packs or farm equipment. Being a farm kid, I can deal with that, but the darn packs of yuppies on their bikes is a nuisance occasionally.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts