Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to replace the battery in my 2010 RTC today............... until the load test showed 687 CCA (battery was rated 730 CCA when new).

The manufacture date on the battery is 2009. Am I crazy to keep using the battery ?

Note: Car is on a battery tender from early November - early May.

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
1,057 Posts
I had the original battery in my 05 Ram for 8 years before it went dead. It was a daily driver and never on a tender. I’m sure the only reason it died. Surprised the heck out of me! As far as replacing yours goes, I don’t know. I would say if it still works leave it, but if you are worried at all about getting stranded then change it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
14,204 Posts
You are really rolling the dice with a 9-year old OEM battery. It can suddenly go dead on you and leave you stranded.

I resisted buying a new battery when it was 7 years old and I regretted it. It died in a NJ Motor Vehicle Inspection station after the worker turned my car on and off 3 times. My SRT had to be pushed out of the garage and onto the grass until I could get a jump from GEICO. Very embarrassing! :7:

The next day, I purchased a Bosch Platinum AGM battery (Group H7/L4/94R). It has 800cca (better than OEM), absorbed glass mat technology and a battery vent. It is supposed to last twice as long as a regular battery and comes with a free 4-year replacement warranty. I got a great deal. It sells for $230, but I bought it on line from Pep Boys for $142, with 25% off and a Bosch $30 rebate. Currently, there is another 25% off sale. It will cost you $177.

Here is a good DIY video of how to replace your battery:

http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/...tomotive-Battery-Replacement-Guide/index.html

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

The next day, I purchased a Bosch Platinum AGM battery (Group 65).....

Will the mounting plate hold the Group 65 size ?

Seems like group 65 is easier to find that H7/94R.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are really rolling the dice with a 9-year old OEM battery. It can suddenly go dead on you and leave you stranded......

If I watch the battery voltage, before starting the car, and while on the road, via EVIC, will I get some advance warning ? Or still could die suddenly, despite such monitoring ?

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
An old battery can also fail catastrophically and it's in the trunk which is going to make things a lot worse. Saw a post on other forum where old battery exploded on a 300 and it was a mess, I wouldnt risk it. Five years maybe six tops and I'm getting a new battery.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,683 Posts
8 years on a battery, you got your moneys worth. Buy a new one and hope for another 8 years. A Guy

·
Registered
537 Posts
Short answer is "Yes"... I was lucky the last time I had a battery fail. I parked in front of my house because one of my son's friend's car was blocking the drive way. After he left I went out to move my car and......., yup, dead battery.:surprise: Looking back..., I thought it cranked a little slow when I started it in the parking lot at work to come home but ignored it.

·
Super Moderator
14,204 Posts
Will the mounting plate hold the Group 65 size ?
Seems like group 65 is easier to find that H7/94R.

My mistake, I posted the wrong size. My Bosch Platinum battery is an H7/L4/94R group. It fits perfectly. Currently Pep Boys has a 25% off sale. It will cost you $177.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got a new 94R battery and installed it. I used a OBD battery memory saver - worked great.

Seems like the battery case has just a tiny bit of slop in it - cant get the bracket tight enough to be slop-free, though.

Either the case size/base is slightly different or I'm doing something wrong .............

·
Registered
318 Posts
The battery in my wife's 2007 BMW is original. The BMW dealer we had to take it to to clear a brake sensor code listed it as something we should replace ($300 for a BMW battery!) three years ago. The first issue we had was it died a few times when it was very cold this winter, but she is working from home and we literally weren't driving it more than once a week. So I will probably throw a new battery in soon, but it is at least 11 years old.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,324 Posts
My battery is a also Nov 09 and 134k miles. I will probably go ahead and replace it before my long (1500 miles) end of July trip just to be safe. I've just started pricing batteries and will likely go with an AGM.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts