Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you original Challenger owners that are familiar with the modern Challenger automatic shift handle: do you think the slapstick t-handle from the 1971-74 Challengers will fit the modern ones?

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just my opinion but I would not swap for an original. I have a 71 Cuda with a Slap stick 727 and the T handle are a cheap plastic. I had to replace mine because it broke. There is a weak point where the screw attches to the shifter. Now my Challenger is a manuel so I don't know for sure if it would fit but I do know that it is not very sturdy

·
Super Moderator
13,704 Posts
No, the original slap-stick handle on the 70s Challengers and Barracuda will not work on a new auto Challenger.

The original handle had a spring-loaded button to engage the gears. The gears were engaged in a vertical motion, instead of side-to-side.

Also, as has been stated, they were made of very cheap plastic and crack easily. I had to replace mine on my 1971 'Cuda.

Why not buy the new MOPAR shift handle? I have one on my SRT. It looks great, is easy to install, and closely resembles the 70s shifter (see photo, below).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The original's button and gear engagement isn't an issue because the new Challengers don't have any type of gear-locking mechanism - you only need to push the shift post to the right to unlock from PARK and then slide it to whatever gear you want. One could even remove the shifter handle and just shift it by the post (ugly, but possible).

As far as the originals breaking easier because they were cheap plastic, I wasn't aware of that, but I'm also wondering if that might not be an issue since I won't be using any moveable parts on it. I think my biggest concern would just be how (or if) it would fit over the shifter post - would the hole of the slapstick be big/deep enough for the post? Also, I would probably need to use the set-screw to secure it, but if the plastic around it cracks easily, that's a no go for sure.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, the original slap-stick handle on the 70s Challengers and Barracuda will not work on a new auto Challenger.

The original handle had a spring-loaded button to engage the gears. The gears were engaged in a vertical motion, instead of side-to-side.

Also, as has been stated, they were made of very cheap plastic and crack easily. I had to replace mine on my 1971 'Cuda.

Why not buy the new MOPAR shift handle? I have one on my SRT. It looks great, is easy to install, and closely resembles the 70s shifter (see photo, below).
I like the new Mopar T-shift handle a lot, I just think if it were possible I like using the 70's slapstick more - it's a trick nod to the originals. Another choice would be getting the Billet Technology's T-handle in black.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
The original's button and gear engagement isn't an issue because the new Challengers don't have any type of gear-locking mechanism - you only need to push the shift post to the right to unlock from PARK and then slide it to whatever gear you want. One could even remove the shifter handle and just shift it by the post (ugly, but possible).

As far as the originals breaking easier because they were cheap plastic, I wasn't aware of that, but I'm also wondering if that might not be an issue since I won't be using any moveable parts on it. I think my biggest concern would just be how (or if) it would fit over the shifter post - would the hole of the slapstick be big/deep enough for the post? Also, I would probably need to use the set-screw to secure it, but if the plastic around it cracks easily, that's a no go for sure.
I had the original on three different cars back in the day. The last car I had I bought in 1980 and sold in the late 90's. I never had one break. That is my experience. Now getting it to work right... That may be a trick.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I like the new Mopar T-shift handle a lot, I just think if it were possible I like using the 70's slapstick more - it's a trick nod to the originals. Another choice would be getting the Billet Technology's T-handle in black.
Or another option is what I have. I went with the Hurst shifter kit, then added a original Hurst 4-speed T-Handle. It looks and works great. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Groovy!!

LOL, just stumbled across this pic of a First Gen slapstick shifter...gotta love the custom puke green shag carpet and seat covers!

(My apologies to anyone that was eating while reading this....):(:icon_evil:

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
It was a popular mod back in the 70's LOL. Really, the vinyl split after awhile and there was no Legendary Interior back in those older days. So a lot of owners need to improvise. A few of my friends got sheep skin (fake) seat covers on their Mopars. I do agree going with green carpet for seat covers is a bit too much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts