Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I'm waiting for the 2020 Challenger Scat Packs to get here with a decent rebate, I've been looking at other cars to possibly consider. At the top of the list is the Camaro 2SS. Its about as quick as the SP, better handling and larger aftermarket, but tiny trunk and sits very low with no lumber adjustment in seats. Another Mustang maybe, but had 3 and want something different, maybe a 2.3 HHP? I also thought about a classic or resto-mod, but probably not the best DD idea as I want something reliable. A 75 trans am with a rebuilt 455 and all new suspension sounds good, but sure to be bad in gas mileage and in the winter. I also thought about something like the new Supra or Audi RS3, but a bit too pricey. I always wanted something with AWD and turbo like an evolution or STI. STI are still made, but ugly and a bit outdated. Although I hear its pretty easy to add some power to them and there is supposed to be a new model next year. My latest thought is maybe a Genesis G70. Nice looking car and interior looks to be very upscale materials, but don't really need a sedan, almost no options from the factory and they are pricey with the AWD 3.3L turbo. They are quicker than advertised though as I saw some Youtube videos in which a Kia Stinger (pretty much a twin of the Hyundai, but a tad heavier) beat a new stock Mustang PP in the quarter mile several times in a row. Am I leaving anything out? Something like the Subaru BRZ would be awesome if the offered it with a turbo.

·
Registered
92 Posts
You lost me at KIA, lol jk, I think they are two different leagues, Mustangs, Challengers, Camaros, heavy ships with huge machines able to plow the earth, KIAs, Hyundais, Lancers, more or less are crotch rockets, I am a fan of the first big boy league to be honest

·
Registered
837 Posts
Couldn't stand the cramped interior of the Camaro and I'm only 5'-9", 175, I had planned on ordering a Camaro.

I have done the classic daily driver thing. From about the mid 80s to the mid 2000s i daily drove 72 or older "muscle cars". Put 30,000 miles on a numbers matching 66 Chevelle SS 396 in 3 years. It was all stock running on 205-75-14 tires with hubcaps. Best daily classics was a 72 Camaro with a modest 350. Again, factory appearing with no spoilers and factory wheels and white walls. Classics are cool but the safety and tech just isn't there.

I work on cars professionally and I just don't think the long term reliability is there for European cars (although I have owned a couple).

The Challenger offers a great deal of interior space, including a massive trunk, expandable if you fold down the seats and gobs of power. Thats what brought me to a Challenger.

My daily is a 2011 Subaru Impreza. I can drive or park it anywhere and not worry about it.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Get a brand new 2019, I think they still have 10 bucks per H.P. off. Not much is going to change unless you are waiting for a new color. If that is the case and you really need something NOW get one of those turds you listed, anyone will do to thrash on until you trade it in on the 2020 or keep the turd for a daily and get the Challenger for nice days.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
412 Posts
Please don't buy a Challenger. I don't think you'll be happy with one as it's likely that nothing will live up to your built-up expectations. And, frankly, I don't want to see the string of buyer's remorse posts when you find out that someone else bought a similar car for $50 less at another dealer.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
If you will trade within a few years run from the Camaro... I like the Kia Stinger for a daily car. It has a lot to offer. Have you considered a Charger?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I prefer the looks of the Genesis G70 over the KIA. Plus its a little lighter. I had two Genesis Coupes back in the day and they were decent cars. Both were 2.0t. The first one was a 10 manual that I leased and the other was a 13 auto. Just a CAI and a tune really woke them up so I'm betting the twin turbo 6 would be similar. But if I wait a few years, it sounds like we may be able to get a turbo 6 in the Challenger with a lot more hp from the factory.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Keep on spinning your wheels, Medsport.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I half expect to be on my deathbed like 15 years or so(That's enough) and you still are pondering whatever is out there then.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I think you are now casting to wide a net.

You need to start narrowing down your options.

If I can be so bold as to offer you a bit of advice, I would start with excepting the fact that you will own a separate vehicle for winter duty.
Its shouldn't be expensive or fancy, just reliable. Any 10 year old front wheel drive car will do just fine.

Now, WITH OUT the winter duty restriction/compromise in play, you can start to make a SHORT LIST of performance vehicles to choose from.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was just throwing those out there as a thought. I've still pretty much narrowed it down to a Camaro SS or Challenger Scat Pack. I'm not sure I really need a 2nd vehicle as I've been driving rwd sport cars for the last 10 years without much trouble. I just would have to get another winter tire/wheel set. If I were to do with the Camaro, I'm thinking 2SS auto with ceramic or tan interior in garnet, crush or rally green with maybe a couple options like wheels and spoiler. Now if I were to go with the scat, I'm having a harder time picking a trim. I like some of the features of the 1320, wide body and the T/A, but also a near loaded base SP. But I can't seem to get all the options, color combos or features I want with any one of them. IDK, I recently found a 20 RG SS with most of the options I wanted on sale at 4k off plus the Mustang conquest that would put it right around 41k. No way I can come close to that with the scat (at least on a 20) until incentives possibly increase in the summer. I don't really want to jump on something right away either as I would rather wait until spring so I wouldn't have to get tires or wheels this year and I could also take a few more test drives.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I prefer the looks of the Genesis G70 over the KIA. Plus its a little lighter. I had two Genesis Coupes back in the day and they were decent cars. Both were 2.0t. The first one was a 10 manual that I leased and the other was a 13 auto. Just a CAI and a tune really woke them up so I'm betting the twin turbo 6 would be similar. But if I wait a few years, it sounds like we may be able to get a turbo 6 in the Challenger with a lot more hp from the factory.
Have you considered the Geo Storm ? Turbo, Front wheel drive (y)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hope you are kidding? That new turbo civic is supposed to be pretty quick though. I wish we could get something like the Mercedes AMG A45 over here.

·
Registered
804 Posts
You lost me at KIA, lol jk, I think they are two different leagues, Mustangs, Challengers, Camaros, heavy ships with huge machines able to plow the earth, KIAs, Hyundais, Lancers, more or less are crotch rockets, I am a fan of the first big boy league to be honest
Don’t count the Stinger out. I have a customer who bought one and got to drive it. Pretty impressive. And I will say the interior is nicer then my Redeye.

·
Registered
120 Posts
While I'm waiting for the 2020 Challenger Scat Packs to get here with a decent rebate, I've been looking at other cars to possibly consider. At the top of the list is the Camaro 2SS. Its about as quick as the SP, better handling and larger aftermarket, but tiny trunk and sits very low with no lumber adjustment in seats. Another Mustang maybe, but had 3 and want something different, maybe a 2.3 HHP? I also thought about a classic or resto-mod, but probably not the best DD idea as I want something reliable. A 75 trans am with a rebuilt 455 and all new suspension sounds good, but sure to be bad in gas mileage and in the winter. I also thought about something like the new Supra or Audi RS3, but a bit too pricey. I always wanted something with AWD and turbo like an evolution or STI. STI are still made, but ugly and a bit outdated. Although I hear its pretty easy to add some power to them and there is supposed to be a new model next year. My latest thought is maybe a Genesis G70. Nice looking car and interior looks to be very upscale materials, but don't really need a sedan, almost no options from the factory and they are pricey with the AWD 3.3L turbo. They are quicker than advertised though as I saw some Youtube videos in which a Kia Stinger (pretty much a twin of the Hyundai, but a tad heavier) beat a new stock Mustang PP in the quarter mile several times in a row. Am I leaving anything out? Something like the Subaru BRZ would be awesome if the offered it with a turbo.
The only other car you mentioned that I would have any interest in is the 75 Trans Am. In fact, when the time comes to replace my Challenger it most likely won’t be with a newer Challenger but with a late 60’s-early 70’s muscle car project. That’s what I was somewhat looking for when this Challenger came up a few miles from my house.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I was thinking about that one again too. I'm sure the Challenger would be a smarter choice. I've been seeing a few Buick Regal turbos advertised lately. They still want a lot of money for them so they must hold their value well.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I've been seeing a few Buick Regal turbos advertised lately. They still want a lot of money for them so they must hold their value well.
I noticed GM taking this marketing approach, which IMO is suicidal.

First, they MSRP price their cars high. Consumers (still) think if a burger cost $8.99 it most be better than a burger costing $5.99.

Then, it doesn't sell. Too expensive.

And you wondering why they would then conclude...."See, there's no interest, no demand. Let's cancel it."

On the flip side, I'm offer $13,000 off of a GM truck, and I have not even show up at the dealership, yet.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts