Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
A GNX is a rare bird.

The '84 to '87 GN's and Regal T-types are much more accessible.

I have spent some time in a friends '86 GN. A K&N filter, chip and Flowmaster cat back exhaust were its only mods.
This was the very early '90's. The car felt fast at that time.

Unfortunately, even thou the car was only 5 or so years old and had low mileage, it was already having issues. Brake/vacuum booster problems, transmission issues, sagging doors, moans groans rattles and rust. The build quality of that area of car (from any/all the U.S. manufactures) was pretty poor.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Consider the new GR Yaris. 268hp, and tuned by Gazoo Racing so it's almost a Supra. That Yaris is Beast Mode.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So I did some more searching on the Genesis G70. I didn't realize it was its own brand now. You can get the 3.3t in rwd or awd. Its been reported to do 0-60 in 4.5 stock and maximum torque comes in at 1.3k rpm. Dynos have shown the advertised hp about right, but torque looks to be underrated by about 50. There are a few plug and play tunes out that can raise hp and tq from about 50 to over 100 on a stock car. There is one for under a grand that produces 450hp and 475tq and it can do 0-60 in about 3.5 and the test car buries the speedometer at 300kmh or about 186mph! They are a little pricey and will never sound as good as a V8, but IDK that interior is nice. I only wish they offered it in a coupe.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Toyota-Lexus, Nissan-Infiniti, Honda-Acura.

Genesis should be consider BMW M (Motorsport), as they hired M Boss away. And you can see it in the new products.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I had a chance to buy a all stock Cosworth Vega (black with gold wheels) for $2800 about 25 years ago. "Perfect" running condition. I don't think the guy know much about it, or how special it was. It was just an used car to him.

I passed because at the time, I was into Imports.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,425 Posts
I had a chance to buy a all stock Cosworth Vega (black with gold wheels) for $2800 about 25 years ago. "Perfect" running condition. I don't think the guy know much about it, or how special it was. It was just an used car to him.

I passed because at the time, I was into Imports.
I always loved those, stock 120hp, with intake/carb and headers, 240. nice head, horrible manifolds.
We had a couple of the HS cars, (Sunbird/Monza) and the 327 that was in my 1967 El Camino ended up in a 1980 Monza, with parts from an IMSA Spyder, and Pontiac Performance front suspension. Nice little car to run around in.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
A guy my dad used to work with put a small block Chevy a Vega back in the day and from what I heard the car was pretty quick being it was so light.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,425 Posts
Back to the OP's question, as for other cars to consider, I would strongly suggest a lightly used Mercedes. BUT no way a new one, let someone else eat $30,000 in a year, and not too old, you want a FULL warranty just in case something isn't hidden, even if it is only 1 year.
A SL or SLK (SLC now) is a great drivers car. I had a 2005 SLK for a while and took it on a 8 day trip weaving around the great lakes. I put something like 2,800 miles on it and the first 2,200 were top down in a row. 3.5 V6 with the first 7 speed automatic, it was a hoot. I guess there are some nice deals on sporty BMWs as well, but I don't know much about them.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Just noticed the 2021 STI may have a new 2.4L engine with at least 400hp and 360tq! It sounds like they benchmarked the AMC A45 which has 415hp. The rendering looks a lot better than the current car. Price increase most likely of course, but rumors it should still be under 50k.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
A guy my dad used to work with put a small block Chevy a Vega back in the day and from what I heard the car was pretty quick being it was so light.
I built 2 of 'em in the 1980s.

A '74 and the one I really liked most a '73.

the '74 was the first attempt. I put a 350 from a Chevy Wagon in it. No rebuild, no deviation what so ever from stock internals. Did the car seriously on the "cheap". Broke the cars single track rear gears and sold the car to a friend who wanted it more than I did. After selling it though I still wanted to do one correctly. Grumpy Jenkins was running a Vega at the time and at the drag strips across the country they were EVERYWHERE. When I found the holy grail of Vegas in 1983 a '73 without any rust damage to speak of I did a far better job. This was such a popular engine swap for two reasons price and the ease of how it was accomplished.

You could buy a "kit" that came with the headers required and engine mounts but in truth the really smart way to go was to just buy the headers for the swap alone. Then go out and find a junk yard Chevy V8 powered Monza for parts.

The Vega engine compartment was so very similar that the V8 Monza engine mounts, radiator, and front springs were all easily swapped. Out back the posi rear in a monza was virtual bolt in as well.

Weight was indeed the secret to these cars. Well set up with a decent mild small block you could easily accomplish 14.0 and hot ones, with traction could go far faster. I never broke into the 13s with the '74 but I did in the '73 and I managed it with a pretty mild 350 build.

The trade offs won't surprise though. The bigger monza front springs were way too stiff and the car was a miserable street driver that beat the hell out of you on crappy pavement. Things that shouldn't go wrong did. I even lost a steering box that wasn't up to the job of handling the extra front end weight. Manual steering was heavy with the small steering wheel.

On the bright side. The '73s front end appearance couldn't have looked more like a little version of the Camaro. I my case I even gave it the split bumper look by cutting a modifying the ends of what was a far better looking bumper than the big aluminum battering ram the '74 had.

To this day I miss the car. I wish I'd kept it. I'd love to build another but finding a decent candidate for the swap now seems highly unlikely to be found easily. Monza donor cars are no easier to find.

What was once so very cheap to accomplish almost certainly would cost far more than the end result would be worth today.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Recently heard rumors of a 2021 Nissan 400Z possibly coming out late this year. I had a Sentra Spec-V back in the day and really liked the 350Z, but couldn't afford it at the time. I don't like some of the angled lines of the current 370, but the new one may be more retro (love the look of the original 240 - 280z's) and may have a twin turbo 6 with 400hp. That wouldn't be too bad given its weight and if its anything like the new supra (a bit underrated power-wise) and several thousand less, may be something to consider.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts