Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m stumped. A spot materialized on the matte stripe on the hood of my Challenger. No idea where it came from. Car is always garaged. I washed it today and noticed the spot afterwards. I use very little soap when washing it and rinse quickly, so I’m certain it isn’t soap residue. Nothing on the garage ceiling that would indicate a leak. I tried to get it off using a damp micro fiber cloth from Chemical Guys. No dice. I’m hesitant to try anything else until I get input here. Ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
I’m stumped. A spot materialized on the matte stripe on the hood of my Challenger. No idea where it came from. Car is always garaged. I washed it today and noticed the spot afterwards. I use very little soap when washing it and rinse quickly, so I’m certain it isn’t soap residue. Nothing on the garage ceiling that would indicate a leak. I tried to get it off using a damp micro fiber cloth from Chemical Guys. No dice. I’m hesitant to try anything else until I get input here. Ideas?

You might try a 50/50 mixture of distilled white vinegar and water. Or just straight vinegar. Just be sure to rinse it off right away. I understand it can take off the wax. This has worked on my stripes and paint when I've had water spot stains and bird dropping residue before. Can't tell what you've got though. Doesn't look like a water stain but you still might give it a shot. Hope this helps. Let us know what happens.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
633 Posts
The discolored area appears to have a very sharp edge. Can the edge be felt with finger or fingernail?

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope. Can’t feel it.
Tried the vinegar method. No results. Looks like my car has developed a birthmark.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Take it to a body shop - or good paint shop. They'll know and if they don't they'll at least have some ideas and tricks to get it off.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
633 Posts
I agree the spot should be inspected by someone with extensive body and paint or detailing experience. I've seen a lot of defects but this defect is in the vinyl and does not look like anything I have seen before.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,039 Posts
If you have some swirl remover or a good polish, it might be worth a try to hit it with that but applied by hand to see if any difference can be seen.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, gentlemen. I’m ok working with paint, but totally unfamiliar with the matte finish on the stripes. I’ll try your way, Nuke, but failing that, it’ll be time for the pros to address it.
Just a dang mystery where it came from. Nothing in the garage that I could see, didn’t notice it during the wash or dry. Took a short drive afterwards to completely dry it, and saw it then.

·
Premium Member
6,039 Posts
Thanks, gentlemen. I’m ok working with paint, but totally unfamiliar with the matte finish on the stripes. I’ll try your way, Nuke, but failing that, it’ll be time for the pros to address it.
Just a dang mystery where it came from. Nothing in the garage that I could see, didn’t notice it during the wash or dry. Took a short drive afterwards to completely dry it, and saw it then.

What about some detailing clay...if it is something that got onto the stripe (as opposed to the stripe deteriorating or something), I bet hitting it with a clay bar or nanoskin towel would make short work of it. Shoot, I've been able to remove road stripe paint off a friend's truck using nothing but some $10 Simoniz clay I found at the local O'Reilly Auto. If it can take dried on paint meant to adhere to the roadway, surely it can remove whatever that is, assuming it is topical and not the stripe itself that is.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What about some detailing clay...if it is something that got onto the stripe (as opposed to the stripe deteriorating or something), I bet hitting it with a clay bar or nanoskin towel would make short work of it. Shoot, I've been able to remove road stripe paint off a friend's truck using nothing but some $10 Simoniz clay I found at the local O'Reilly Auto. If it can take dried on paint meant to adhere to the roadway, surely it can remove whatever that is, assuming it is topical and not the stripe itself that is.

Thanks, Nuke. I’m worried that clay may change the “matte-ness” of that part of the stripe. I’ll try it on a less noticeable stripe near the grill first.

·
Premium Member
6,039 Posts
Thanks, Nuke. I’m worried that clay may change the “matte-ness” of that part of the stripe. I’ll try it on a less noticeable stripe near the grill first.

As long as you use plenty of lube, it should be fine.

<queue the "That's what SHE said!" replies from our fellow (juvenile) members>

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
I know your car is not a Hellcat, but your stripes are a Satin/Matte Finish. Google search the Dodge Satin Finish Care and Protection service bulletin # 23-031-14. Dodge specifies which products to use on a satin finish. There is one stored on the Hellcat.org site, look for that in the search results, it's a .pdf. I tried attaching it here.......

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts

Are there children perhaps?

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
I had spots on the matte stripes on my TA when I picked it up. I ended up using Dr. Beasley’s Matte Paint Cleaner & Matte Paint Coating (recommended by Dodge). It took a bit of work & a couple of passes but it did the trick. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
6,039 Posts
I know your car is not a Hellcat, but your stripes are a Satin/Matte Finish. Google search the Dodge Satin Finish Care and Protection service bulletin # 23-031-14. Dodge specifies which products to use on a satin finish. There is one stored on the Hellcat.org site, look for that in the search results, it's a .pdf. I tried attaching it here.......
Now that's disconcerting...I mean, if there are cars being sold with a different, special kind of paint that requires a document such as that just to keep that paint from getting damaged when treated like other cars' paint, why is this important information only released as part of a TSB, which we all know rarely makes it to the public in general. Why isn't it given to the buyer of said vehicles at purchase time. That's when it could do the most good by informing the new owner before they have a chance to mess it up with paid-car washes and the like.

Also, after reading through all the warnings, cautions, and eventually the steps necessary to maintain/clean the satin paint, I'm left thinking it is an extremely fragile surface which requires a whole slew of special items just to take care of, most of which don't look to be OTC...unless I go to the local Dodge Dealership, where I'm sure they are OTC, but with a price that is OTW.

Yes, I realize this doesn't affect me personally, so I should just move on and tend to my own rat killing. But I will continue to wonder why a TSB was needed for this. Those usually only cover scenarios which were unforeseen at the time of production. If what their document says is true, its finicky nature and special requirements for maintenance could not have been unforeseen...not by a long-shot.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled forum perusing...

:dj:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Magic Eraser, damp and ever so light in use. I have used it over the years on my matte stripes on two different Challengers followed by a liberal application of Lucas Spray Wax.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Thanks. Good info there. I’ll be trying their cleaning methods tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts