Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone please share some 1st hand experience process registering a new out of state (Dan Cummins) Challenger to CA, POC states 50 state Emissions

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
2,221 Posts
I don’t have personal experience with a new car, but I did register a ‘78 Firebird I bought in Michigan. I had to have it smog tested. In that test, they inspected the emissions stuff to see it was all there. I suspect that something similar occurs for new vehicles too…minus the test. In other words, inspected to see all components are present.

Look on DMV website. I’m sure all you need to know is there. All Challengers come out of the factory 50 state compliant so you shouldn’t have any significant trouble…a little inconvenience, yes, trouble, no. Good luck and post up here how it goes.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
It’s a money grab by Sacramento. Bought a new 09 R/T. Bought it back East bucause criminal Normandin had a 10k adm at the time. Had to get it smogged even though its 50 State. The obd port was new at the time so had to take it to Evergreen College Shop. Took it to Alma DMV (Ellis Island). Had trouble getting around the Taco Truck. Visual a joke. Got it done.

·
Registered
2018 Plum M6 Scat Pack with Shaker
184 Posts
Not new, but have smogged and registered out-of-state used cars when I brought them into CA.

If all lights pass visual inspection, and all parts on it are supposed to be there, and none are missing, and the OBD has completed its learn cycle (not recently cleared), and finally if it sniffs clean, you will pass.

Then off to registration. If you paid any sales tax on the purchase, bring documentation to DMV! Depending on specific facts, it may offset some of the "use" tax or whatever they might choose to call registration that day.

·
Registered
485 Posts
To register a vehicle currently licensed in another state, the inbound vehicle must receive an in-person inspection via REG 31 form by a DMV agent at a CA DMV office (cannot be accomplished at a AAA office) and an initial smog inspection at a certified inspection station. The rest of the registration process is the same as an in-state purchase. Prior to purchasing, I highly recommend securing a picture from the seller disclosing the emissions certification label proving the vehicle is 50-state certified/compliant.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,904 Posts

A Guy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts