Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for an Outdoor Car Cover for when I have my 2015 Challenger covered.

I'm looking for some thing more along the lines of dirt, and water proof that way I can keep it more clean than anything. I don't know what would be a good cover to protect it and such but also for an affordable price. Affordable to me is maybe a little over a hundred not too much. Any recommendations would be good though!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IMO, the best car cover is no cover. They can do more damage than the elements to your car's finish.

Normally I would completely agree, But its parked under a tree.
So something is better than sap, and leaves, and bird droppings, and limbs, and everything else a tree could possibly produce to annoy me. lol

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
Oh man, best of luck. Hopefully the tree doesn't drop any type of "nut".........................you'll get dings a plenty.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,899 Posts
For all your wants, it's going to cost more. A good choice for you would be a Noah custom cover. Probably $225 and up. A Guy

·
Super Moderator
13,853 Posts
For all your wants, it's going to cost more. A good choice for you would be a Noah custom cover. Probably $225 and up. A Guy
I agree. The Noah is a fairly heavy cover that will not flap in the wind (a very important quality). Also, it provides some protection from minor dings. I have been using one for the past 6 years with no damage to my paint. Of course, I make sure that my car is perfectly clean before I put it on.

One thing that you should know. Even high quality car covers, exposed to strong sunlight, will only last about 2-3 years. Covercraft covers, however, carry a 4-year warranty. If they fail, just mail them back to the factory for a free replacement (with no pro-ration). I have received 3 free covers under their warranty.

·
Premium Member
2013 RT Classic
532 Posts
Honestly a semi permeable cover with a soft liner is going to be all you need. You want it to let out any moisture that may be trapped under it. You want a soft liner to prevent scratches. I disagree with the no cover is best statement, at least here in CA, the sun is brutal and does way more damage than a cover. Though I hate the chain, Pep Boys has a cover that works well for about $160 give or take. Most times I don't strap it to the car unless the wind is blowing.

·
Super Moderator
13,853 Posts
Go for neoprene. It's water repellent. It has the same materials as a scuba suit. It's easy to clean.
That's a bad choice. Car covers must be water resistant and "breathable"- not waterproof.

Impenetrable (i.e., waterproof) covers, under humid conditions can trap water droplets. This allows harmful agents, like mold and mildew to develop over an extended period of time resulting in corrosion.

High quality breathable car covers allow trapped moisture and condensation to evaporate quickly thru the cover itself, shortening the amount of time your car is exposed to wet, humid conditions.

In addition, car covers must have a very soft inner liner to prevent scratching the paint.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Costco Custom Car Cover?

I agree. The Noah is a fairly heavy cover that will not flap in the wind (a very important quality). Also, it provides some protection from minor dings. I have been using one for the past 6 years with no damage to my paint. Of course, I make sure that my car is perfectly clean before I put it on.

One thing that you should know. Even high quality car covers, exposed to strong sunlight, will only last about 2-3 years. Covercraft covers, however, carry a 4-year warranty. If they fail, just mail them back to the factory for a free replacement (with no pro-ration). I have received 3 free covers under their warranty.
I went on the website and for the "2017 RT 392" the Noah cost $279. On the videos it says that you want to have the car relatively clean before putting on the cover. Do you guys wash the car first then put the cover ons? What if you are on a road trip and just want to cover it up overnight? It would probably be dirty.

Would you be fine with that or would you use some waterless wash system?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,899 Posts
Unless the car is completely clean, as well as the car cover, it will rub. The trade off is keeping it covered/out of the weather as apposed to the inevitable swirls/scratches. I have a great car cover I used about 3 weeks until I talked to my detailer who would paint correct and coat my car. I never used it again, and cannot. A shame as it would keep the dust off. Again, if you need/want it covered, at least clean before covering, and keep underside clean as well. A Guy

·
Super Moderator
13,853 Posts
I went on the website and for the "2017 RT 392" the Noah cost $279. On the videos it says that you want to have the car relatively clear before putting on the cover. Do you guys wash the car first then put the cover ons? What if you are on a roadtrip and just want to cover it up overnight? It would probably be dirty. Would you be fine with that or would you use some waterless wash system?
My car is not a daily driver. I clean it, different ways, depending on the following conditions:

Slightly dusty- California Duster (very light strokes)
Dusty- Meguires Detail Spray (with microfiber towels)
Dirty- Wash (or Waterless Wash)

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
My 2013 R/T Classic stays in my driveway (on wooden blocks so-as not to flat-spot the tires), with a soft, permeable (breathable) cover from November until March in Western PA. I bought a generic-brand cover on EBAY in 2013, for around $250, and I'm on my 5th winter with it. It protects from ice/snow and debris from "dirty" wild cherry trees around my parking space. I will need to replace it after this winter (some small tears have appeared around the edges).

To keep it in place in high winds and storms, I use a bungy cord across the bottom, securing the two middle eyelets (the ones that are right about in line with the middle of the door). Before I did this, high wind would blow the cover up.

I would not get anything "waterproof". Previous posters have covered this. The paint/clearcoat are well suited to protect from water. It's the dirt you want to keep off. I run a snow-blower around it all winter, and anything that it tosses in the air that may drift down on the car, is kept off the paint. Also, Snow is full of whatever crap comes down from the sky (different depending on the pollution in your area). Keeping that from sitting on the paint all winter is another reason I keep the cover on.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Weather shield HP is what I use.
I appreciate the replies to the OP. I'm going to need a good cover by the 1st of November. My R/T will be in our garage until then; but, we play snow birds for the winter and go to SC. This was our first year there and I discovered something I was totally unaware of. The pollen falls onto cars like volcanic ash. I had no idea it could be so bad. Anyway, my car will sit outside from the 1st of November until the end of April. I can see the cover sitting on the car for 2 or 3 days at a time. The car surface will generally be pretty clean. The Weather Shield HP, with storage bag and gust guards is priced at $402.00. The Ultratect would cost $309.00 with the gust guards. There is no storage bag option. (I'm looking on the Auto Anything web site.)

The only difference I see in them is the HP is shown as lightweight while the Ultratect is shown as midweight. By the time I start using the cover I will be 73. I'm curious with removal/installation 2 - 5 times/week if I will likely notice a major difference due to the weights. Unfortunately, the weight of the covers isn't provided.

Thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
I use the best car cover from PEP BOYS which is called "Barrett Jackson".

Its soft underneath, pretty thick, about $120.00 and I use clips on all 4 fender wells and a gallon bottle of water as a weight by the wiper/windsheild area and the cover doesn't flap much as all.

I've used this type of cover outdoors on 3 Challengers and I have no paint damage. I take the cover to the laundromat and wash it in the big commercial washer about every 3 or 4 months.
They seem to last about 2 years....not bad for ALL outside.

·
Super Moderator
13,853 Posts
The Weather Shield HP, with storage bag and gust guards is priced at $402.00.
I previously used a Weather Shield HP car cover, for daily outdoor use, and would not recommend it. While the fabric has a super soft satin-like quality, it is extremely light and will flap in any kind of wind. In addition, this flapping will cause it to tear along the roof, eventually.

I have been using the much heavier Noah cover. It has a soft inner lining and rarely moves on windy days. As an added bonus, it is much cheaper than the HP. The only drawback is that the cover is bulky.

As a tip, whatever you buy, use sand-filled gallon storage bags on the front corners of your car and the base of the windshield on very windy days. This will keep the cover from moving.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello people. New to Challenger talk. I read the whole thread and learned a lot. Thank you for sharing information. I am actively looking for a cover for my 2019 Scat Pack Widebody. I live in New Jersey, and am concerned about the 3 vents on the hood. 2 of the vents expose the engine, and I don't want snow getting under the hood. May I ask - is this a concern (snow inside of the hood)? As for paint damage, I have an 07 S550 that has seen much snow over the years, and it hasn't damaged the paint, so I'd like to assume snow sitting on paint isn't an issue. With all of that said - what turned out to be the best cover for you all? Thank you in advance for replies.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,899 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) Beautiful car! Black car. Taking cover on and off...it will swirl, but if you're dealing with snow and such, I don't know how swirlless it can be ;)

A Guy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts