Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,357 Posts
So my outside Temp is reading 70*
but its clearly 90+* outside? Anyone know if there some kind of reset?
could be a bad sensor - on my other car when it went bad - read 135*F on the warmer days. And this was in the SF Bay Area back then, and it rarely gets really hot there (by the coast).

Sensor was replaced many years ago and worked fine since.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had washed it Saturday it was working all weekend, and it worked yesterday.
Today at lunch I drove to togo's was reading 70* I drove back to work it reads 70*
I ran outside just now, it is @ 70* it has to be high 90's here today in San Jose Ca.
sounds like a bad sensor? maybe it will correct itself?
I wish it was 70* outside!
where is this sensor located behind the front grill or lower grill?

·
Super Moderator
15,357 Posts
Had washed it Saturday it was working all weekend, and it worked yesterday.
Today at lunch I drove to togo's was reading 70* I drove back to work it reads 70*
I ran outside just now, it is @ 70* it has to be high 90's here today in San Jose Ca.
sounds like a bad sensor? maybe it will correct itself?
I wish it was 70* outside!
where is this sensor located behind the front grill or lower grill?
behind from grill - its clipped ahead of radiator / condenser unit. If you pull the close out panels (these are between nose and radiator support when hood is open) and hunt around for it. Its a small sensor, with a two-wire connector going to it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well its creepin up it said 72* on my way home
Parked and restarted it was still 72*
I will pull those panels and see if i can find it
Is it a relatively easy sensor to replace?
I Guess I could / should just take it to Dodge as its under warranty still.

·
Super Moderator
15,357 Posts
Well its creepin up it said 72* on my way home
Parked and restarted it was still 72*
I will pull those panels and see if i can find it
Is it a relatively easy sensor to replace?
I Guess I could / should just take it to Dodge as its under warranty still.
its about a $14 part - look like this:

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Might be working now, I pulled the right side top panel I think I found this same part I wiggled the wire connection and pushed together.
It said 61* as I drove to work 65* now. maybe just a loose connection? I will keep my eye on it. Thanks for the picture of the part Hal H
that really helped!

·
Premium Member
3,194 Posts
Might be working now, I pulled the right side top panel I think I found this same part I wiggled the wire connection and pushed together.
It said 61* as I drove to work 65* now. maybe just a loose connection? I will keep my eye on it. Thanks for the picture of the part Hal H
that really helped!
I try not to spray water directly through the grille area. Water in the connector is a common cause of low temp readings. I think that's what might have happened. I've never had one go bad on any car but my Fords were very prone to this. The only other time I had a problem was when a rabbit took up residence in my front bumper cover of my 2012 Challenger and ate through the temp wiring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts