Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m finalizing a couple of designs for another custom exhaust. It will be a side exhaust, but not sidepipes this time (they weighed too much, 45lbs each).

I’ve done the calculations, and would need a 3” (3” wide by 2.25” tall)oval pipe to equal the flow of the round factory 2.75”, but I can’t help but suspect the sound will be different; question is, in a good or bad way.

Anybody have any experience with oval exhaust pipes?

My sidepipes sounded tremendous; I’m hoping to replicate the sound, but would like to capture the 1/2” of additional ground clearance oval tape would give me, but given the additional cost, am hesitant to pull the trigger without knowing how it will sound.

Here’s the rumble I want to replicate, if possible:

·
Registered
873 Posts
Let me see if I can dig up some old videos and pictures. I ran exactly what you are referring to before I ditched it to go almost open header lol.

Side exit oval piping off of longtubes and no cats. Was loud and sounded great.

Standby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
873 Posts
Okay, I don’t have the old videos available to me but there are two on my Instagram account about midway through (insta: treyhontz). One is an idle and the other w short idle rev. Some of my old race videos have that exhaust as well.

If you remember, you conversed with me some time ago about the OCPerformance intake manifold.

I don’t know your exact plans with the oval piping but I can tell you I loved everything about it minus the weight. Like I said I ran JBA longtubes (1 3/4”) to no cat mids and to the oval dumps that exited just in front of the rear tire. It was a short lived experiment of about 6 months before I pulled them off. It sounded great. Coming from a mufflered, rear exit exhaust, the only sound difference I really noted was the volume increase. The “sound” or tone of it didn’t seem to change much going from the oval setup to my current setup (same headers, 3” mids no cats, 3”x-pipe and turn downs that dump under the car).

The way most places do their oval piping (from what I can remember) is based on comparable round sizing. I.e. they label a oval piping 3” or 4” diameter as compared to round piping when in actuality it is wider in diameter (length wise). I believe I used the 3” equivalent on my car when I had it. I used something like 2, 5’ straight sections and 2, 45° angles to get the location I wanted. All in all, it was a pretty cheap endeavor. I think I only spent maybe $300 total including the exhaust shop to do the work.
Hand Gesture Finger Bumper Gas

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, I don’t have the old videos available to me but there are two on my Instagram account about midway through (insta: treyhontz). One is an idle and the other w short idle rev. Some of my old race videos have that exhaust as well.

If you remember, you conversed with me some time ago about the OCPerformance intake manifold.

I don’t know your exact plans with the oval piping but I can tell you I loved everything about it minus the weight. Like I said I ran JBA longtubes (1 3/4”) to no cat mids and to the oval dumps that exited just in front of the rear tire. It was a short lived experiment of about 6 months before I pulled them off. It sounded great. Coming from a mufflered, rear exit exhaust, the only sound difference I really noted was the volume increase. The “sound” or tone of it didn’t seem to change much going from the oval setup to my current setup (same headers, 3” mids no cats, 3”x-pipe and turn downs that dump under the car).

The way most places do their oval piping (from what I can remember) is based on comparable round sizing. I.e. they label a oval piping 3” or 4” diameter as compared to round piping when in actuality it is wider in diameter (length wise). I believe I used the 3” equivalent on my car when I had it. I used something like 2, 5’ straight sections and 2, 45° angles to get the location I wanted. All in all, it was a pretty cheap endeavor. I think I only spent maybe $300 total including the exhaust shop to do the work.
View attachment 1013774
View attachment 1013775

Thanks! Found your IG, love the sound!

Do you recall where you sourced your oval pipe from?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Thanks! Found your IG, love the sound!

Do you recall where you sourced your oval pipe from?
Believe it was off Summit Racing

1 - 5 of 5 Posts