Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are we going to have to do to get rid of some of the weight, these things are carrying 4100Lbs with an aluminum head small block, its a bit extreme, the weight needs to come down into the 3600Lb range to get it competitive with the Camaro and Mustang.
It looks too me as if the thing will have to stripped to the unibody and cut heavily, the techno crap front and rear suspensions both will have to go and an aftermarket IRS set up for the rear and the front will simply just have to be custom made, all the tractin control crap is gotta go its just dead weight.
Its a shame we'll have to spend 30-40000 just to get the weight down, we are already at a disadvantage in the power department since their just isnt enough aftermarket performance support for the new semi hemi engines, the only bright spot in the drivetrain is we might get the T56 from the viper line.
It may just be me but did they not understand the horsepower to weight thing ?

7,359 Posts
What are we going to have to do to get rid of some of the weight, these things are carrying 4100Lbs with an aluminum head small block, its a bit extreme, the weight needs to come down into the 3600Lb range to get it competitive with the Camaro and Mustang.
It looks too me as if the thing will have to stripped to the unibody and cut heavily, the techno crap front and rear suspensions both will have to go and an aftermarket IRS set up for the rear and the front will simply just have to be custom made, all the tractin control crap is gotta go its just dead weight.
Its a shame we'll have to spend 30-40000 just to get the weight down, we are already at a disadvantage in the power department since their just isnt enough aftermarket performance support for the new semi hemi engines, the only bright spot in the drivetrain is we might get the T56 from the viper line.

I was hoping to see in a few years a aluminum hood and trunk lid and maybe front fender replacements,that may shave 300 lbs right there but at what cost to the owner it wont be cheap as you stated.
However these are easy to bolt on weight mods and they should look into a lightening package for us serious guys.
If Dodge is listening please make a weight lightening package for us who would like to really shave some pounds off this bad dude.

Funny thing is now add gas,and a passenger your well into 4500 lbs.
It may work to the cars advantage the weight that is, on hookup and youll not get that bunny hop like a stang produces.This is where all the engine mods will have to come into play to create a wolf in sheeps underware,a cam and the cnc heads will really wake that car up to no end!

It took some time to get used to my magnum as it is one hell of a big car !
Hope the same goes for the challenger.
I cnat wait to see all the after market goodies for this car its going to be an ongoing project I feel.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem is still horsepower to weight ratio though, we dont want to have to need 600HP to compete with a 450hp camaro. Performance wise there just isnt enough aftermarket support for these small black hemi engines, there are a few cams but not much for a very wide choice, I think there are forged pistons around now but nothing in the line of forged rods or crank much less a matching set. The block( can it handle more than 500 hp consistantly) most likely not. Valvetrain pieces are non existant.There are ported heads I see now but not much in the form of aftermarket true performance pieces. Induction, good luck trying to get an Intake for EFI, and the speed density is non adjustable nor improveable. Ignition ....maybe some plug wires might be available somewhere in pretty colors.
The point is for us Mopar fans is we are very disadvantaged when it comes to trying to match the ford and chevy guys in power, we just do not have the aftermarket support to keep up and Dodge certainly doesnt give a damn..just look at Nascar its only a half hearted effort. Now that we get a Challenger again thats a 2 door and not a 4door sedan like the Charger the damn thing weighs 4100lbs with a small block, were going to get our asses kicked on the street with these things.
You'll have to put 40000 into this thing and hope you dont run up against a Mustang or Camaro that isnt stock,the competition with just bolt on mods is going to kick our butts.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
It would be nice if they could liscense the drag car somehow. I also can't see why they could put some of the add-ons on the car going down the assy line. Headers, graphics, air cleaner ect.. be cheaper there then out in the open market. This thing is going to be a cash cow, when It shouldn't be. I'm just waiting to order my 09 so it can starting milking me. lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It would be nice if they could liscense the drag car somehow. I also can't see why they could put some of the add-ons on the car going down the assy line. Headers, graphics, air cleaner ect.. be cheaper there then out in the open market. This thing is going to be a cash cow, when It shouldn't be. I'm just waiting to order my 09 so it can starting milking me. lol

Thats exactly what we need though. If they take the drag car and just put AC cruise control and delay wipers on it, dump the street and strip suspension for a more road racey setup and just 17 or 18 " wheels, dump the hood scoop and boy racer paint scheme they would have it right. The drag car only weighs 3300lbs and minor options arnt going to add that much. If it was just in the 3600lb range id be happy, we just simply cant keep up with the ford and chevy guys to try and match them in horsepower because the aftermarket just doesnt support us.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are coming out with a "drag car"; patience please !!!

Yes but those arnt street legal and have no options. Whats funny is the Challenger which is a 2 door weighs more than the Charger which is a 4 door...LOL what is going on with Dodge ?. Do they want to hamper the performance capabilities or what.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess the only option is to buy both the drag car when its available and an RT, then just strip the options you want from the RT and put on the drag car then take the rest of the RT to the crusher at the junlyard.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
It looks too me as if the thing will have the T56 from the viper line.
Can you direct me to the threads where the weight issues have been addressed.Ah, Y-ahhhhh, I'll try,give me some time as the Challengertalk Archives are quite extensive. Ok, here's one probably to your liking : Now what does Dodge do??? . Ok, now, try these : Challenger not so heavy... , Picture of door tag on Challenger says it weighs 4160lbs. , Weight Difference of Dodge Challenger? , 2009 Dodge Challenger Midsize Coupe :stickpoke:, Tire Tearing Terror [Heck, I never saw that thread/post :icon_redface:] , Just joined [ or this one either]:eek:rangehat: , Production model weight? , What will the Dodge Challenger weigh? , Latest Update !! :mofo: , Challenger weight , Keep the Weight Off :brickwall:, Latest in sounds of Terror!! this one I not seen either ,is very psychedelic:hippy:, 2007 Marcos TSO GTC vs. Dodge Challenger & looks like FIREPOWER"S sister ! :woot:, Carbon Fiber In Short Supply !! / ?? , 4100lbs !!!!??? Why is this thing so damn heavy?? !!!! Well, these ought to safice for now; I need to take a break !!:SM127:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can you direct me to the threads where the weight issues have been addressed.Ah, Y-ahhhhh, I'll try,give me some time as the Challengertalk Archives are quite extensive. Ok, here's one probably to your liking : Now what does Dodge do??? . Ok, now, try these : Challenger not so heavy... , Picture of door tag on Challenger says it weighs 4160lbs. , Weight Difference of Dodge Challenger? , 2009 Dodge Challenger Midsize Coupe :stickpoke:, Tire Tearing Terror [Heck, I never saw that thread/post :icon_redface:] , Just joined [ or this one either]:eek:rangehat: , Production model weight? , What will the Dodge Challenger weigh? , Latest Update !! :mofo: , Challenger weight , Keep the Weight Off :brickwall:, Latest in sounds of Terror!! this one I not seen either ,is very psychedelic:hippy:, 2007 Marcos TSO GTC vs. Dodge Challenger & looks like FIREPOWER"S sister ! :woot:, Carbon Fiber In Short Supply !! / ?? , 4100lbs !!!!??? Why is this thing so damn heavy?? !!!! Well, these ought to safice for now; I need to take a break !!:SM127:
Thank you sir !

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
we are paying the max gas guzzler tax on the car, so let it guzzle gas and sell us the drag car with a street legal VIN. or do it like back when we had hot mopars or whatever you liked. put the race stuff in the trunk and it is there when u get the car from the dealer.
the way the economy is they better listen to their future customers a little better. my 2cents worth.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
we are paying the max gas guzzler tax on the car, so let it guzzle gas and sell us the drag car with a street legal VIN. or do it like back when we had hot mopars or whatever you liked. put the race stuff in the trunk and it is there when u get the car from the dealer.
the way the economy is they better listen to their future customers a little better. my 2cents worth.
Uh huh...seeing things on the same level wid ya. At least give us the options anyway.

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
The block( can it handle more than 500 hp consistantly) most likely not.
I dunno man, there are a few guys over on chargerforums.com that have a supercharger, 426 stroker kit, heads and cam and are making around 700-750hp. Look for Gilgamesh on that forum, he drives his hard and its his daily driver.

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
Yes but those arnt street legal and have no options. Whats funny is the Challenger which is a 2 door weighs more than the Charger which is a 4 door...LOL what is going on with Dodge ?. Do they want to hamper the performance capabilities or what.
The Challenger weighs more? I think not. The Challenger is actually 50lbs lighter than the Charger

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
I was just saw that at the Dodge website they are reporting the
Charger RT at 4031
Charger SRT 4160
Challenger SRT 4140
Not trying to be against you or anything, but Im pretty sure, unless the new one lost some weight, the Charger SRT8 is 4200lbs. Thats what mine weighed in at. But even so, the Challenger by your numbers is Lighter, not heavier than the Charger. But I do agree with you, taking 3-4 inches out fo the frame should have reduced it by atleast 100lbs or so i would like to think. I do wish this were a little bit lighter in weight though, but i dont think there are any real practical spots to take the weight from. Most of it is in the fram I do beleive. Some of the creature comforts like the myGIG and kicker stereo system add a good bit as well

7,359 Posts
Not trying to be against you or anything, but Im pretty sure, unless the new one lost some weight, the Charger SRT8 is 4200lbs. Thats what mine weighed in at. But even so, the Challenger by your numbers is Lighter, not heavier than the Charger. But I do agree with you, taking 3-4 inches out fo the frame should have reduced it by atleast 100lbs or so i would like to think. I do wish this were a little bit lighter in weight though, but i dont think there are any real practical spots to take the weight from. Most of it is in the fram I do beleive. Some of the creature comforts like the myGIG and kicker stereo system add a good bit as well
BoBokus was here to stir things up is all he cared less about the weight other than to flame this forum under a fake sign in.
He has been booted before for doing the same thing in the past under several names.This thread was started to burn not learn.

I found a pic of my old 73 rallye below!

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
BoBokus was here to stir things up is all he cared less about the weight other than to flame this forum under a fake sign in.
He has been booted before for doing the same thing in the past under several names.This thread was started to burn not learn.

I found a pic of my old 73 rallye below!
Yup...

I'm not happy with the weight either, but I know the Camaro is going to be pretty porky too. I'm betting it rolls in at about 3900 lbs... and until the mustang gets an engine with balls (under $50-60k), who cares about it?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts