Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, got a question for you all. I had my oil changed yesterday by a local shop and now I am having issues with the engine rapidly heating up during higher RPMs (2k+). My car is a 2014 Dodge Challenger R/T Shaker. I do have the 180 thermostat (installed 6 months ago) and the car fan is tuned for it (192-199 degrees for fan). Normally my oil temp is rock solid at 212 degrees and my water gauge is a tick lower than the center hash. Very, very rarely does it move off this point. I went back today and spoke with the service manager about it. We went over oil level, checked the fans, and coolant levels. Everything looked good. I asked the service manager if they added coolant (no) and what oil they used. He told me they used 0w40 oil. I usually change my oil and decided to cheat this one time due to to the weather. I know the system calls for 5w20. The service manager insisted it was 0w40. Well anyway, I am getting the oil changed again tomorrow.

My question is would the higher weight oil cause overheating? I wouldn't think it would cause that much of an issue, but every time I accelerate hard, the water temp climbs rapidly. At idle and lower rpms, the temps are higher, but only about 8-10 degrees and are pretty steady. Do I have another issue besides the oil?

·
Super Moderator
13,849 Posts
I assume that you have a 5.7 Hemi. This engine has MDS which shuts down four cylinders at cruising speed to save up to 20% on fuel.

In 2004, Chrysler issued a technical service bulletin (TSB) – 09-015-04 and 09-013-04. It said: “Vehicles with the Multiple Displacement System must use SAE 5W-20 oil. Failure to do so may result in improper operation of the MDS."

The improper functioning of the MDS system, due to the improper viscosity oil, is likely the cause of your over heating condition.Have the correct viscosity installed.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Heating up fast doesn't seem to be a problem to me. Is the car overheating? How hot is it getting?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I assume that you have a 5.7 Hemi. This engine has MDS which shuts down four cylinders at cruising speed to save up to 20% on fuel.

Way back in 2004, Chryler issued a technical service bulletin (TSB) – 09-015-04 and 09-013-04. It said: “"Vehicles with the Multiple Displacement System must use SAE 5W-20 oil. Failure to do so may result in improper operation of the MDS."”

The improper functioning of the MDS system, due to the improper viscosity oil, is likely the cause of your over heating condition.Have the correct viscosity installed.
Yes, a 5.7 Hemi. I have MDS shut off through the tuner.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heating up fast doesn't seem to be a problem to me. Is the car overheating? How hot is it getting?
It's getting right up to the High line. I can sit there and watch the temperature gauge rise during a hard acceleration. Running at 70 MPH on the freeway, the temp gauge needle was getting very close to the high line.

I was thinking it could be a faulty thermostat, but the temps drop once I slow down. I always thought with a faulty 'stat the temps would continue to rise.

·
Super Moderator
15,343 Posts
that's really odd - my old 5.7 whether stock or with cam / tune afterward...the coolant temperature would hardly budge - whether driving up grades / high altitude in summer, etc.

The oil would certainly get hotter, but coolant was steady / normal temperatures.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,516 Posts
Water pump failure (plastic impeller spinning on shaft)? Bad water pumps are not uncommon on the 5.7, although they tend to make noise when they fail.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm getting the oil changed again tonight. I am also going to go ahead and change the thermostat as insurance. If that doesn't take care of the issue, guess I'll be ordering a water pump.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Many of these generic thermostats are garbage.
Turns out that is what the problem was. Changed it out and everything looks good. Thanks to everyone on their advice!

·
Registered
42 Posts

In 2004, Chrysler issued a technical service bulletin (TSB) – 09-015-04 and 09-013-04. It said: “Vehicles with the Multiple Displacement System must use SAE 5W-20 oil. Failure to do so may result in improper operation of the MDS."

Is it possible there's an update to that 2004 bulletin, the 2018 manual says to use 0W-40.

Update, this is in the quick guide 0W-40, and I now also see 5W-20 in the manual.

oli.JPG

·
Registered
42 Posts
Is this weight for a 5.7 with a manual trans.? I haven't seen any changes to the oil specs for an automatic, but I could be wrong.
2018 Challenger Quick Guide says 0W-40, the manual says 5W-20 so I guess both are ok but I'll now defer to the 5W-20 in the manual. The Challenger Quick Guide says to use synthetic, the manual only says use synthetic for the 6.4L. I know my dealer said they use the 0w-40 synthetic.

Maybe someone from Dodge on here can clarify what to use.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts