Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I went all in and ordered the Mishimoto from JEGs - It's on backorder until next week. They claim it's a direct fit so I should be able to run stock hoses. I still need to decide on what oil and EHPS cooler to buy. If I can swing it, I'm going to buy the Wilwood 6-piston front brakes but I need to check the clearances .

·
Registered
520 Posts
I went all in and ordered the Mishimoto from JEGs - It's on backorder until next week. They claim it's a direct fit so I should be able to run stock hoses. I still need to decide on what oil and EHPS cooler to buy. If I can swing it, I'm going to buy the Wilwood 6-piston front brakes but I need to check the clearances .
I ran Amsoil last year and had good results. Before you dismiss this as a sales pitch, it's not since I am not selling to you. Here's how I know I got good results. Or at least perceived good results.

I had the oil change earlier in the year and on my way down to the place I was sub 10% on my oil meter. Ran it for a day and a half and drove back. Oil still looked good and smelled good. Was not sludgy or excessively dark. I got back with the oil meter around 3% and almost right at 5k miles. I changed the oil and sent off a sample to get analyzed. Sample report came back looking pretty damn good. I told them my temps sat around 280 degrees and sometimes a little more. They tested the viscosity and found that it hadn't really lost any of it's lubricating properties and could have probably been ran a little while longer. The filter on the other hand is obviously a different story. This was also a time where my motor dropped a number 1 intake valve so the sample read extremely high in lead.

I just did a spirited driving event on the stock Pennzoil and while I didn't sample it the .eter was around 40% when I got back. I checked the oil and it looked nasty and even a little thick on the dip stick. Maybe it was good and maybe not. It didn't look good and I made sure I did some cool down laps this time. So your mileage may vary. If you plan on seeing a lot of track time then prepare to have an open tab at your local oil supply store anyway.

·
Super Moderator
15,591 Posts
Are you tracking someone that's actually tried/done this, or just spitballing around a possible Mopar upgrade option?
I had put the 6.4 SRT oil cooler on my former '09 R/T (M6) - after I had installed the 392 cam & tuning, my oil ran hotter - it wasn't unusual to see temps 222-226*F on grades even on mild days.

After installing the oil cooler, it would have oil temp ~ coolant temp.

I suggested the Ram 6.4 cooler, since that vehicle is designed around towing - the oil cooler capacity was increased on that application since the operating conditions have that engine under continuous load, such as pulling a 5th wheel, climbing grades, etc. The SRT 6.4 cooler didn't have as much capacity.

The BGE (6.4) in a Ram is CGWR of 23,400# for a point of reference...

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
the catalog shows one, however never paid much attention to it, our 15 to 20 minute sessions are probably not an issue with the transmission, more worried about the differential, mine is currently failing and about to be replace
however that may be my fault I screwed up a heel toe shift and locked up the rears at over 100mphs

I ordered all the pieces for the engine cooler and will be installing the HC engine oil cooler on Bigred
Luke
Did you get it installed yet? My Mishimoto came in on Friday but I don't think I'm going to have time to install it until September. Getting a crew to finish my detached garage and epoxy the floor this month.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

·
Vendor
12,322 Posts
will not work, no space in the traditional front end, gave up on the idea
Luke

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
ah, guess aftermarket in-front of the I/C is the way to go. Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
14,412 Posts
are there risks to doing this?
I don't see what they could be and this is SRT talking.

Now there is debate on what SRT means so I'll post what they say in the manual and you can decide. Seems like they are talking belly pan but others disagree.

And this is for off-road use only.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
Belly pan on? SRT says take it off.
are there risks to doing this?

I don't see what they could be and this is SRT talking.

Now there is debate on what SRT means so I'll post what they say in the manual and you can decide. Seems like they are talking belly pan but others disagree.

And this is for off-road use only.
They absolutely 100% are not referring to the engine undertray/belly pan in that extract.

They're referring to the lower grille in the front bumper.

·
Registered
14,412 Posts

They absolutely 100% are not referring to the engine undertray/belly pan in that extract.

They're referring to the lower grille in the front bumper.
OK but seems crazy, who does this?

Maybe that goes back to Viper days.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,004 Posts
we found most performance aftermarket radiators do not fit well, we are using a fluidyne that we modified
Luke
Wonder if this radiator would work for $100? Appears to be an aftermarket 2 core for a 6.1L?

Chizzle found it and installed it in his ride.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
OK but seems crazy, who does this?

Maybe that goes back to Viper days.

It seems crazy, but that does seem to be what they mean. I will likely try this next time I'm out on a hot track. It looks like it comes out easily with a few screws.

Remember the Chevy Camaro "Flow-tie" on the Z/28? The Chevy engineers are pretty confident that it helps. If that's the case, I don't doubt that removing the lower grille would allow better airflow as well.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,961 Posts

A Guy

·
Registered
2017 T/A 5.7 A8 front and rear strut braces frame connectors
1,272 Posts
All the guys running super chargers on the challenger always run hot wether it’s at drag strip or road course

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
All the guys running super chargers on the challenger always run hot wether it’s at drag strip or road course
Mishimoto racing radiator took care of things for me.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts