Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I’ve been looking to buy a challenger for awhile now, and have found a beautiful 2011 R/T that’s in my price range. The only problem I have with it is that the car fax shows it has had the catalytic converter and spark plugs replaced and it’s only got 65k miles on it. I’m pretty sure that’s not normal. Is that something I should be worried about? Also, does anyone have any general knowledge on the reliability of the 2011s? Is there a better year like 2010 or 2012?

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,269 Posts
2008-2013 has standard copper core 30k mile spark plugs. Dodge recently changed their stance on the old cars and now recommends using NGK Laser Iridium plugs. If it's an automatic make sure it's had the timing chain recall done.

Reactions: F8HemiRT

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2008-2013 has standard copper core 30k mile spark plugs. Dodge recently changed their stance on the old cars and now recommends using NGK Laser Iridium plugs. If it's an automatic make sure it's had the timing chain recall done.
Awesome, thanks so much for the reply. I never knew there were spark plugs that only lasted 30k miles. I’ll check that the timing chain was fixed because it is an automatic. Any insight on the catalytic converter?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I wouldn’t worry too much about the Cat being replaced or the plugs being changed. Those are essentially tune up items. Year Cats should last for a long time but considering the car is 9 years old with only 65k on the clock. This car was babied. If it is in your price range and you like it buy it. I’m sure you will modify it anyways like the rest of us saps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: F8HemiRT

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SXT
51 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned about the catalytic converters. When I bought my Magnum R/T one of them had a huge dent from hitting something. I replaced them with hi flow cats and moved on.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,269 Posts
I bought my 2010 RT new in Feb 2010 and traded it 163k miles later in Mar 2020. She was still running great but I was ready for a different ride. Nice thing about the pre 2015 cars is you can buy a tuner only and play. Later cars also need an unlocked PCM.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn’t worry too much about the Cat being replaced or the plugs being changed. Those are essentially tune up items. Year Cats should last for a long time but considering the car is 9 years old with only 65k on the clock. This car was babied. If it is in your price range and you like it buy it. I’m sure you will modify it anyways like the rest of us saps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You’re absolutely right... thanks for the advice I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
735 Posts
If they changed the plugs, car probably had a misfire. That would make a cat go bad quicker than normal. Excessive fuel and cats doesnt play well. Just ask for the car to be put up on a lift and look it over. If its a reputable dealer then there should be no issues. With the car on a lift you can see if they used cheap cats or quality ones and see if any leaks or other issues that it might have. If your not car savvy then pay a mechanic to do an inspection for you.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
619 Posts
Hey all, I’ve been looking to buy a challenger for awhile now, and have found a beautiful 2011 R/T that’s in my price range. The only problem I have with it is that the car fax shows it has had the catalytic converter and spark plugs replaced and it’s only got 65k miles on it. I’m pretty sure that’s not normal. Is that something I should be worried about? Also, does anyone have any general knowledge on the reliability of the 2011s? Is there a better year like 2010 or 2012?
I had a 2011 Challenger R/T Classic .... and wish I still did.

The only issue I had was an alternator failure ... that was recalled after I'd traded the car and I received a refund.

And as others have said, the 2011s came with 30,000 mile copper plugs. Have the dealer pull one and see what was put in when it had the plugs changed. If they're iridium, they're good for 100,000 miles. If they put copper back in, then you're possibly due for a plug change now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts