Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my Whipple install on my otherwise stock 2011 R/T I keep getting a check engine light. Took some logs and sent to whipple, they tell me "Usually when getting code P0171 (lean bank 1) that is either a small air leak on Bank 1 of the engine or even a exhaust leak". They were prompt in replying to my emails, whipple seems to be pretty stand up.

I take back to the installing shop and they say they found the leak. Drive around for 20mins then I get the CEL again...same P0171 code.

Before I go back to the installing shop I want to inquire if anyone on here has had similar experience with their blower install or in general.

Could it be the tune? Even after the CEL the car/blower still runs strong and smooth.

I really have no clue. Thoughts from the gear heads on here?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Any work on exhaust such as headers? I would reset MIL and swap the front 2 O2 sensors and see if the code follows the sensor. If it does, replace sensor. If not, check spark plugs, and possibly spray some brake parts cleaner around the injector o rings with the engine running to see if anything changes.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No headers. Will take note of the O2 sensors...thanks for the advice...have read similar advice with this type of issue. Thing is no CEL until after whipple install. Could the install damage/mess with the O2 sensors?

Anyway, taking into a local mechanic tomorrow who said he will find the leak if that's the problem. The plan is if he finds it or determines the issue he suggests that I should bring back to the shop that installed the whipple to remediate. He won't touch the whipple since he didn't do the original install. But kinda looking for another opinion/second pair of eyes on this problem.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
If they happen to find a intake leak from say a manifold gasket on the intake side, then yes take it back to shop that installed it.
If they find a problem with exhaust then its not from the supercharger.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pesky P0171

The pesky P0171 is back after the vacuum leak fix. Took it back to the local mechanic guy. He hooked up the smoke machine again and this time no leak. Assuming the install of the entire kit and accompanying fuel upgrades was done correctly, the local mechanic guy says that this P0171 is more than likely due to a tuning issue.

Can you guys confirm that if the install was complete and done correctly and if no vacuum leaks that the P0171 code is due to tuning?

If so is this common...i have a stock 2011 R/T...no engine mods. Shouldn't the factory tune be tried and true.

I've already emailed Whipple.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
what does your AFR gauge read? if you don't have one spend the money your gonna need it. If you have hi flow cats you might want to look into putting anti fouler plugs on your o2 sensors. search it you will find out how it works.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
DOH!
Isnt that a Bank 1 lean condition? I could look it up but my computer is a pain. If your mechanical, swap one whole side of 4 injectors with the other without mixing them up. If the code follows to bank 2, it may be a injector issue.
Also, check spark plugs. If a coil is not fully plugged in, it may not be firing at all times.
I hope you can find a simpler issue but it sounds like you need to take it somewhere else, or start a process of elimination.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Assuming it's not a sensor or anything equipment or install related could the problem be the tune?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Anything is possible with incorrect tuning. If you have a good data log file maybe see if Mike at OST can look it over.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Whipple asked for data log. They have been very responsive. Hopefully it's just the tune. In the end I paid the shop here $9K for the kit and the install. They are a dealer for Whipple...they bought the kit from Whipple and did the install...if the tune doesn't resolve ...I'm taking the car back to the shop and leaving it until they resolve the issue.

The shop says Whipple left some parts out of the original install, install done, then I got the code, had to data log and send to Whipple who said its probably a vacuum leak...the shop found the vacuum leak, then i got the code again, I had to take it to another local mechanic who hooked up a smoke machine to find another vacuum leak and no vacuum leaks for sure now...still getting the code.

I'm tired of being in the middle of it. Again hopefully it's the tune.

FYI - I'm the original owner of a 2011 R/T, it has 9K miles on it. So everything equipment wise on my vehicle is like brand new. Only factors to consider now are tune and potentially install (which shop is saying was done 100% perfect). We'll see.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Still not resolved. I've gotten another tune from Whipple. Thought it was resolved, 100+ miles or so later I got that damn CEL again with the P0171 DTC. I reset praying it was a fluke because prior it was coming on after 30-40 miles of driving. 100+ miles later (yesterday) it came back.

I emailed Whipple (they have been very responsive), told them I would data log again and email them back. But if this next tune doesn't work Im going to have to send car back to install shop to diagnose. No one else will even try to diagnose since then didn't install.

My 2011 R/T has less than 10K miles on it and was pristine...no issues related to a P0171 until the Whipple install.

Could it be parts in the Whipple kit were bad?
Could it really be Whipple's tune is off?
Or is it the install?

What sucks is I don't find out until after 100 miles of driving whether tune worked. I've also reached out to a well known tuner here. I'm thinking of biting the bullet and having him look at my logs and seeing if it's something he can clearly see.

Any help would be appreciated...I need this resolved before emissions/smog check prior to registration renewal...I suspect I won't pass if this is lingering.

Any thoughts on here? I'm surprised no one has had a similar experience right after a blower install.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
I think orrwhat is on to something about the O2 sensors, didn't see in your posts where you change those out. I had a CEL after some work and it was a bad O2 sensor. Don't remember the code but I would change those first in trying elimination process. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Going to change the O2 sensors out. I think I should be able to do that myself. Looks easy enough on-line.

Also am going to get a Trinity to monitor the fuel trims. Also going to work with a well-known tuner on here. Hopefully we figure it out.

·
Registered
350 Posts
you could swap the 02 sensors(drivers and passenger side) before buying a new one. if the gripe follows(P0174) you know the issue then, I would also inspect the wiring that runs to the 02 sensor and make sure it didn't get melted and is shorting out.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts