Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yes it was the tune from whipple. They sent updates but never got me a solid tune. I ended going to 2 different tuners locally before getting it dialed in correctly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can you elaborate on what was wrong with the tune? I am going through the same issue with my 2008 srt8 with JBA long tubes and whipple 2.9 blower. Have went as far as relocating the o2 sensors, replacing the o2 sensors and it's been at my local hemi performance shop on and off the dyno for tuning for 3 weeks now. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry for bringing this old thread alive, but I now also have the same problem, very curious to find out what was wrong in your tune.
Did a 4.5L Whipple install on a 2019 Redeye, tried everything that got mentioned here, but nothing works

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,151 Posts
Could be you still have a leak somewhere, there was a guy on HP tuners that had a 0171 and 0174 codes show up when his PVC hose popped off which cause his fuel mixture to lean out.

P0171-FUEL SYSTEM 1/1 LEAN
For a complete wiring diagram, refer to the Wiring Information.

• When Monitored:
    With the engine running in closed loop, the ambient/battery temperature above -7° C (20° F) and altitude below 8500 ft.
  • Set Condition:
    The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) monitors the Adaptive Memory factor (a combination of Short Term Adaptive and Long Term Adaptive). If the total fuel addition exceeds a calibrated threshold for an extended period, a fuel system lean fault is stored. If the total fuel subtraction exceeds a calibrated threshold, a fuel system rich fault is stored. Two Trip Fault. Three good trips to turn off the MIL.
Possible Causes
FUEL DELIVERY SYSTEM
ECT SENSOR, WIRING, OR CONNECTORS
MAP SENSOR, WIRING, OR CONNECTORS
O2 SENSOR, WIRING, OR CONNECTORS
ENGINE MECHANICAL SYSTEM
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

Are you running a wide band? If not you really should think about installing one an start logging AFR error to see if fueling is dialed in correctly. OEM O2s are ignored by PCM at WOT so it is likely running lean during PT which is the only time fuel trims are used.

As for the MSD boost a pump, I would rather run an upgraded fuel pump like one of these.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you for the input, yes if it was a pcv leak I would expect it to be both banks as well, but we specifically get bank1 just like the original poster here....

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Thank you for the input, yes if it was a pcv leak I would expect it to be both banks as well, but we specifically get bank1 just like the original poster here....
PCV leak can affect one cylinder bank more than another. The crankcase hose/connection does not dump air into the center of the intake but at one side of the intake. Thus the excess air could favor one bank over the other.

And the intake leak does not have to be from the PCV or crankcase ventilation system. A plain old intake leak can be the problem.

You need to eliminate an intake leak before you start digging into even more complicated to diagnose and repair possible fault causes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just now capped of the pcv ports, and let the car run, still fuel trims on bank 1 are up and giving the lean code

PCV leak can affect one cylinder bank more than another. The crankcase hose/connection does not dump air into the center of the intake but at one side of the intake. Thus the excess air could favor one bank over the other.

And the intake leak does not have to be from the PCV or crankcase ventilation system. A plain old intake leak can be the problem.

You need to eliminate an intake leak before you start digging into even more complicated to diagnose and repair possible fault causes.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,151 Posts
Did you have the tune updated when you installed the whipple (at the minimum the PE would need tweaking)? Have you logged the fuel trims to see if they are within 5-10%? Have you verified fueling is lean with the factory wide bands?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the reply, yes the tune was updated, several tuners looked at it.
Yes I logged the fuel trims and they are off
By factory widebands you mean to O2 sensors in the car?

Did you have the tune updated when you installed the whipple (at the minimum the PE would need tweaking)? Have you logged the fuel trims to see if they are within 5-10%? Have you verified fueling is lean with the factory wide bands?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Than yes, but to me it looks like its only doing it around idle, not while driving

Also if I erase the code, I can drive it without the code showing up, than when I shut the car off, and start it again the light comes on

21 - 33 of 33 Posts