Dodge Challenger Forum banner

P0300 Cylinder Misfire code??

45K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  Chef 
#1 ·
2010 challenger RT, 6 speed, only mod is SOLO mach X exhaust.. 4500 miles, and had the P0300 Cylinder misfire code 2 times now. ones at about 2000 miles and now at 4500. car is not driven hard. anyone else seeing this problem? had it to the dealer 2 times and they cant come up w/ a reason for it. they have a call in to DODGE Tech Line and they are supposed to get back w/ dealer in the morning. Does anyone have a fix for it? the 1st time i had it in for this problem, they just cleared the code and it ran fine for about 1500 miles.

#2 ·
I have the same vehicle - 2010 R/T Classic 6-speed. Had the same thing happen to me - also twice. Once at around 5,000 miles - and once at around 10,000. Dealer could not find cause. The first time it occurred - I could feel the misfire. The second time I felt nothing. My car is also not driven hard. The second time it happened, the Check Engine light went off by itself on the third time I started the car after seeing the light. No idea what it is - but I share your concern. My car has been great - with no other issues. Dealer did suggest "bad gas" - but I use only Chevron and Shell premium - possible, I suppose, but unlikely. No further Check Engine light - so I decided not to worry about it. If you find out anything else - please post - there must be other folks with the same issue.

#5 ·
No high flow cats, only mod is Solo Mach X exhaust. Dealer called me this morning, said Dodge got back to them today, and after reviewing the graphs my dealer service dept sent them on reading on my car etc. Dodge has NO IDEA what is causing it. They told my dealer they dont even know where to begin or what part to even replace because they honestly have no clue were to start. I tell ya one thing, im VERY glad this car isnt my daily driver, and it now makes me VERY scared to take the thing on a long trip as i might get along the interstate at nite and have it mess up on me again. i dont know what to do, guess ill just keep taking it back to dealer service every time it happens.

#6 ·
I've had this exact same problem. 2010, 6-speed manual, R/T.

At almost exactly 5000 miles, misfires started. They came and went over the course of a few miles, CEL flashing and beeping and the car almost seemed to go into a limp mode. Dealer wanted me to get it towed, but I used the predator to clear codes and the problem went away.

7500 miles (just tonight) same exactly problem. Not sure if using the predator actually fixed the problem, or just leaving it off for a while.

Still, it worries me that it could be a bigger problem. This time it was cylinder 5, the last time it was #1 (I think).

No other obvious problems, and the only mod is the predator (93 tune).

Dealer couldn't find anything the first time, so I didn't bother this time. They said since I cleared the codes they couldn't do anything. Of course, they did joy ride it for about 50 miles to try to "recreate the problem".

#7 ·
I forgot to say...

Both times -- the car seemed to legitimately be misfiring. The engine was rumbling quite a bit. So, not just a false alarm -- I think it really was misfiring. Question is why?

#13 ·
I've been experiencing a similar issue since Jan. When I moved from Germany to Maryland and I picked my car up from the shipment company, I had to use the nearest mom/pop gas station. On the ride home it started miss firing, and miss firing bad. You could hear that not all the cylinders were firing, it stopped as soon as I down shifted and ran the RPMs above 4500. I took it to the dealer twice; the first time they said it was probably some bad fuel due to the intermittent issue and them unable to replicate it. The second time they just cleared the code. I used some fuel cleaner and since then, the Check engine light would come on, but I would not experience any issue, the light would clear itself the next time I started the engine. Yesterday it started miss firing bad again after I was running it at about 4k RPM for a minute (was stuck behind a slow driver and was trying to hint at him to get the $@&% out of the way). When I stopped at the next red light and took off again, the engine started miss firing real bad again when I got into third, I downshifted and kicked the RPMs above 4500. Sorry for the long post, but I'm hoping someone might have some input or has experienced this issue in the past.

I did find one other thread (http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/cause-long-time-miss-fire-5-cylinder-found-50502/), and I have messaged the person for more info.

Any Info would be greatly appreciated.

#14 ·
If this is only happening to R/Ts would it be related to the MDS activating or de-activating? A delay in spark or fuel or valve operation could trigger it. Not sure how that system works. I'v never heard of this on an SRT which does not have MDS.

#23 ·
I have a new 2014 branded year model and my CEL light has turned on twice this week. And my vehicle doesn't even have 600 miles on it yet. I have only had it for 14 days.

Looks like a have a good longevity of this problem happening to me with the service department unable to ever assist.

P.S. No my gas cap is not loose and I only use 93 Octane filled up for the third time already.

#15 ·
R/T 6 speeds do not have MDS, either - so it would seem to be unrelated to MDS cycling. I'm at just over 15,000 miles now, with no further problem. It remains a mystery - and one that I hope does not reoccur! Frustrating when it does happen - hope someone will shed some light on this at some point.

#16 ·
Mine is also a six speed -- seems like mostly this is a problem with R/T six speeds? Anyone have an auto and the same problem?

I know the six speeds don't have the cylinder deactivation, but maybe someone out there knows -- what really is the difference between the motors? Could it be that some piece of MDS could still be in the motor and malfunctioning cause its turned off?

I'm guessing to save costs any special parts needed aren't there, but also I know to save costs sometimes they'll make the engines the same and just have a means to plug in some parts to fix it. Anyway, its just a theory. I figured the reason the 6-speed doesn't have MDS is because its too difficult for the computer to figure out when to activate it when you're shifting (unlike the auto). Maybe its just turned off and a computer glitch?

If it helps, it seemed to happen for me when I pulled out at a light both times. Idling, pulling out gently from a traffic light. Then it started to come and go until I turned it off and cleared the codes (unsure if clearing the codes helped, or just turning the car off).

#17 ·
Had mine in the shop for the 3rd time for this issue. car has a little over 7000 miles. Dealer said from their records that it shows that it has been happening about every 2600 miles. They have no answer for it. They said that the dodge tech is supposed to in town soon and they are going to have him look at it. Who knows. im worried about going on long trips and having this happen at 3am on the interstate.

#18 ·
Misfires p0300

well im the sad owner of a 2011 6spd and yeah ive had two misfires first at 3k miles P 0300, p 0301 and the next one at 6k P0303..... i use 91 no mods all stock but yeah my car actually turned off then on and it was like i was riding a bull but the CEL came on and flashed 4 times then went off each time.... as far as i know 6spds dont have the MDS.... i took it in both times they swapped coils checked plugs but could not replicate my problem.. one more time and im gonna lemon law that dodge of car.......

James

NO FIX IN SIGHT AND NON OFFERED FROM MY DEALERSHIP:confused::confused::confused::confused:

#20 ·
My 2011 392 A/T is doing it. To the dealer twice with P0300 and P0304 codes. Back again next week for them to recheck. They said fuel and I knew it wasn't, but to eliminate the possibilitys I drove the thing and refreshed tank.

#22 ·
well it appears that my dealer has FINALLY after months, found my problem and fixed it. I came VERY close to selling my car over this issue. after having the chrysler factory rep come in and look at mine, they did one last thing which was put a camera down the intake and they found that my "pcv valve" was bad, causing oil to leak on the plugs and after so long the oil built up enough to file a plug and cause Misfire code. i will look on my receipt when get home to make sure thats exactly what was fixed. anyways im GLAD its been a STRESSFUL time up until now

#24 ·
I just put in a Hypertech Interceptor which does give a noticeable increase in throttle response and power. I am sure a programmer would be the better option as many of you have done. I just did not want to have the pcm show a foot print if I had to take it to dealer for something. 2012 R/T Plus with Auto. Well, 100 yds of driving and check engine light comes on. Code P0300, random misfire. Yet the car runs remarkable. No noticeable misfire at all. Called Hypertech and talked to them for almost an hour. Great folks. I had one of their products (hand held tuner) on my 99 Z28. The end of the discussion went to the MDS system. I cleared the code 3 times and within a short drive it came back, again with no noticeable misfire at all. What a crazy situation. I will run it for a week and see how it goes. If the code continues to come back I will pull out the unit and consider a tuner, as I had for my Z28. The only thing again, that I am concerned with is the warranty issue, especially with the P01 Timing Chain Recall, of which my R/T does not fall in, but yet is still a concern. So with all of that, anyone have some constructive info for me. I know many of you will say get the Diablo Tuner. I hear you all on that one. Throw the info at me guys and gals. All good input is appreciated.

#25 ·
whitechallyrt, this is an old thread you may want to start a new one.
The Hypertech Iv never used. Read alot about what they are. I check out every tuner option on earth and at the price of the Hyper to the Trinity and after studying what make one tick, I went Diablo for the many reasons.
The code you mention, I know the code just I have never set it off even with my mods. Something you need to look into. IMO
FT

#26 ·
I hear you on starting a new post, but I knew this wouldn't last long. Took the module out and sent it back. Screw it!! I don't like things that don't work right. I have little patients for that kind of stuff. So with that, as most of you have done, I ordered the Diablo tuner with the credit I had from the return. The Hypertech module did give a noticeable change in performance. Very much so. Its a shame that it didn't work out. With the Diablo and a 91 octane tune there is only a 13 HP gain (no 93 octane in California), with the Hypertech module they say a 20 HP gain. With the tune I can turn of that silly MDS. Thats what I am really after. Plus all the other things you can do with the tuner makes it worth it. Plus with the I-1000-DCX, there is no footprint for the dealership to see if I need to bring the car in. So to just end my post, as most of you have done, I went with the tuner. Just thought I would give Hypertech a shot since I had a tuner for my Z-28 and it was a great product. Thanks Flat Top for your input. All you needed to say to persuade me was "Something to look in to". Getting the P0300 code was the give it back clue I needed. If it don't work the first time, its gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.