Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched and all of the threads with the same symptoms, noone seems to post up the solution.......

2011 RT6 speed......no mods 1475 miles

Three times now, all on the expressway, all at about 3K in 4th gear while just downshifting from 6th at about 50% throttle....vehicle chimes intermittently, engine light flashes for about 4 minutes, and there is a noticable loss of power and the vehicle shakes........First two times I pulled the codes after I got home and nothing was stored or pending........this time there was a pending code P0300. Has anyone had this problem and solved it? I REALLY don't want a dealership touching it.............

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
yes I had it a couple of times after I added the exhaust.. Honestly after I added the 93 tune i never seen it again.. Not even supercharged.. i got it once and followed by a number 5 misfire .. 2 years no issues now

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
car went into "limp mode " while the engine light was flashing

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
it will Id after a while.. either way its a pretty common issue or was last year around early april.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
P0300 -Random misfire code. Haven't seen it on our '09 R/T thankfully.

Since you brought up the subject - here's my experience, sorry for the long length.

This code has popped up on every vehicle on the planet in the last few years. Our other car - 2001 Metro gets it when it's very humid and moist outside and after it sits and rains then started up cold. I've research it down for weeks and it usually points back to the O2 sensor(s) wires or weather pack connectors. In fact we had our sensors replaced over year ago (been touched) and others on the Internet mention working around or unplugging/plugging them back up for access to exhaust repairs and such.

1. Have you touched or disconnected the O2 sensor(s) in the past?
2. If number 1. is valid, then are you sure the wire from the sensor
doesn't touch/rub any metal or have a burned jacket when returning to
the harness?
2. Is the misfire when the is engine totally warm/cold? (wire touching
exhaust or metal/moisture in the connector)
3. Is the outside weather very humid or had it been raining that day?
(connector problem)

Other people have blindly replaced components left-and-right trying to solve this issue and it's the same thing with auto dealers. Like new plug wires (we have boots instead), spark plugs, coil(s), cam sensor, crank sensor, etc and still can't fix the darn problem.

What the auto techs see is the fuel injectors run rich and then lean in quick successions and this causes the random misfire conditions. Now if the code is P0301, P0302, etc then it's probably a fouled #1, #2 plug and easily replaced. Search around on P0300 random misfire and you'll see it on other forums.

My hunch points back to the O2 sensor(s) and the electrical connection or voltage dropping out/crossing over in bad weather (water getting into the connector causing cross electrical connection) or rubbing against metal/hot exhaust and doing the same effect.

Start at the O2 sensors for outer jacket problems or if nothing found then just unplugging the electral connection and spray some silicone to keep them dry. Good luck!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
P0300 -Random misfire code. Haven't seen it on our '09 R/T thankfully.

Since you brought up the subject - here's my experience, sorry for the long length.

This code has popped up on every vehicle on the planet in the last few years. Our other car - 2001 Metro gets it when it's very humid and moist outside and after it sits and rains then started up cold. I've research it down for weeks and it usually points back to the O2 sensor(s) wires or weather pack connectors. In fact we had our sensors replaced over year ago (been touched) and others on the Internet mention working around or unplugging/plugging them back up for access to exhaust repairs and such.

1. Have you touched or disconnected the O2 sensor(s) in the past?
2. If number 1. is valid, then are you sure the wire from the sensor
doesn't touch/rub any metal or have a burned jacket when returning to
the harness?
2. Is the misfire when the is engine totally warm/cold? (wire touching
exhaust or metal/moisture in the connector)
3. Is the outside weather very humid or had it been raining that day?
(connector problem)

Other people have blindly replaced components left-and-right trying to solve this issue and it's the same thing with auto dealers. Like new plug wires (we have boots instead), spark plugs, coil(s), cam sensor, crank sensor, etc and still can't fix the darn problem.

What the auto techs see is the fuel injectors run rich and then lean in quick successions and this causes the random misfire conditions. Now if the code is P0301, P0302, etc then it's probably a fouled #1, #2 plug and easily replaced. Search around on P0300 random misfire and you'll see it on other forums.

My hunch points back to the O2 sensor(s) and the electrical connection or voltage dropping out/crossing over in bad weather (water getting into the connector causing cross electrical connection) or rubbing against metal/hot exhaust and doing the same effect.

Start at the O2 sensors for outer jacket problems or if nothing found then just unplugging the electral connection and spray some silicone to keep them dry. Good luck!
The car is always at operating temp....was raining once, dry both other times. Everything stock, nothing has been touched.Wasnt humid, IAT temp 75. The only curious thing I noticed with the freeze frame data when the code set was the fuel level showed 52%, and I was only down about 2 gallons.....:scratchhead:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Hey Dun - during the mishap 52% level is strange when only 2 gallons of gas were used? I know we have saddle tanks that separate but they equalize when driven since the pump is in the one that feeds the motor.

Without a wiring diagram it's hard to tell what else is tied into the fuel gauge reader/sensor. Something is temporary timing out/running low voltage/etc and if it causes the injectors to run lean then motor starts to misfire. Same effect like in the old days when you turned the idle jet screws in too much and the motor stumbled and stuttered all over the place.

I don't have EVIC so - would be nice to see what the injector pulse rate is when it happens again and what the O2 sensors are reading as well. If your pulse rate changes dramatically then you'll at least know if the motor is starving for fuel vs. flooding.

Or it could be water in fuel if not related to O2 wiring/connectors. Try another heavily used gas station after running to empty that has lots of consumers to see if the condition returns.

·
Registered
73 Posts
ive got 7200 miles on my 2010 6 speed rt classic, only mod is Solo Exhaust. its happened to me 4 times now. dealer cant figure out what to do. im very serious about selling my car now because of the aggravation of it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts