Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 Challenger SXT Plus
Got P0302 and P0202 codes yesterday along with stumbling idle.
Pulled over immediately - had it towed to mechanic.
Replacing coilpack on #2 and all plugs.

QUESTION:
Anyone hear of dreaded cylinder head problem on late model Pentastars? The issue is well documented on earlier model Pentastars. Just making sure nobody has heard that it's in late model units now as well.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Two completely different issues. The cylinder head issue that effected a small amount of pre '14 Pentastar's was related to a loss of compression due to premature worn valve guides or in a few cases cracked heads. The revised head that came out in '14 seems to have eliminated most related issues. Your issue appears to be either a fault in the fuel injector or wiring to it or the coil for cylinder # 2. Interesting that they've replaced the coil as code P0202 typically relates to a fault detected in the injector. Anyway, P0202 definately triggered code P0302 which is just the ECM detecting the actual misfire. Your cylinder heads are fine, just a fluke electrical issue.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OP here. Update:

1. Had the initial P0302 P0202 codes a few months ago. Rough running etc
  2. Mechanic traced to coil pack on #2. Coil pack #2 replaced. No more symptoms, no more codes.
  3. A few months after that I get P0306 P0206 codes and rough running
  4. Mechanic traces to Fuel injector on #6 and replaces. I also had them change the coil pack on #6 just to do it.
  5. No more symptoms, no more codes.
  6. Now a few weeks after that (today), I get the P0302 and P0202 codes again. These are the codes I started with a few months ago.
  7. Mechanic traced to bad injector on #2. Changing Injector on #2.
Is this just a weird fluke? Anybody have this happen before? This is on a 2015 Challenger SXT Plus. The car has had no gremlins up until now. Has a bout 40,000 miles. I think initial code was thrown at around 37000 miles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts