Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the second time in a month that this code has been tripped. Car seems to drive just fine. Is this anything to be seriously considered of? Should I take it into the dealership?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
i used to get the code to.. only started after a custom tune.. not sure what the deal is but from my research it is a pretty common code for dodge vehicles.

i never did find out what it was.. i just cleared it and moved on.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i used to get the code to.. only started after a custom tune.. not sure what the deal is but from my research it is a pretty common code for dodge vehicles.

i never did find out what it was.. i just cleared it and moved on.
I just spoke to Baxter they said it could be a faulty gas cap, they have those often. Sometimes it doesn't close flush with the car. It could also be a leak somewhere in the hoses. If it does it one more time I'll bring it in and see if they can fix it.

Interesting Chris, you have the same problem and after the Johan tune. I'm very curious exactly what the problem could be.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
ya i don't know.. i wish i new.. i would think if a line was leaky it would trip ALL THE TIME and not just sparatic..

let me know what you find out.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I had this once after installing my supercharger. My idle was off and my fuel trims were way different than one another. My tuner said it looked like a vacuum leak. So I check the hoses to the best of my ability and all I found was the hose going from the CC to the SC was loose. I could just slide it back and forth off the nipple. I bought a hose clamp and clamped it down. Cleared codes and none have come back since.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
An update. P0441 just popped again. Car seems to drive fine. Only thing different is I plugged my Trinity back in yesterday. Otherwise no changes to the car at all. I don't see what plugging the Trinity back in would have to do with it but figured I mention it as that is the only thing that's changed since last time it popped.

I'd like to figure out what it is that causes this? Sounds ominous. Like instead of purging whatever is supposed to be purged it is in turn ingesting it. Can't be good if it is supposed to be purged.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
An update. P0441 just popped again. Car seems to drive fine. Only thing different is I plugged my Trinity back in yesterday. Otherwise no changes to the car at all. I don't see what plugging the Trinity back in would have to do with it but figured I mention it as that is the only thing that's changed since last time it popped.

I'd like to figure out what it is that causes this? Sounds ominous. Like instead of purging whatever is supposed to be purged it is in turn ingesting it. Can't be good if it is supposed to be purged.
My service advisor said it's a common problem and that more times than not it's that the gas cap goes faulty. Basically it doesn't seal 100% after you turn it and that it can cause this code.

It's happened to me twice.. if I get the code one more time I'll go to the dealer and see if replacing the gas cap deals the trick.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
If you have a code reader or a diablo tuner then just check your gas cap and then clear the code. This is a frequent thing for our fleet vehicles and most of the time it comes back to the gas gap.

·
Registered
339 Posts
ya i don't know.. i wish i new.. i would think if a line was leaky it would trip ALL THE TIME and not just sparatic..

let me know what you find out.
From what I've been told by a trusted Mopar mechanic, the computer will pressurize the fuel and evap system at a scheduled time. If, when it does this, it wont hold pressure it trips the code, that's why you never want to fuel up the car with it running (And safety reasons too obviously) because if the cap is off when the computer decides its time to do the pressure check, it's going to throw a code thinking theres a leak. A cap that wont seal correctly does the same thing. Hope that's all it is for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts