Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 SRT8 19,700 odo

Bought the car two weeks ago from Five Star Chevrolet. A week in, I get the good old P0456 error code.

Crap. Not my first rodeo. Check the seal on the gas cap and make sure it's cranked down. Drive it 5-6 times, code doesn't clear. Only 2.5 miles to work, so I reset the code by disconnecting the pos terminal. No issues for about a week and a half.

Get out to my car after it sat for just 2 hours today, "bong". Pull into the shoppette/gas station and check the code. P0456. I don't think this will be covered under the 60 day powertrain from Five Star, and they'd probably just replace the gas cap and clear the code.

I'm going to check and see if the canister seal is present, but I'm thinking the reason they sold me this car so cheap was because they'd cleared the code and called it good. I've had a not-great day, and this was just what I needed to round things out.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,439 Posts
There is a recall for some LX cars that replaces the vapor canister, maybe yours is subject to it? Couldn’t hurt to check, right?

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,439 Posts
Recall #UB4 UB4 - 2013-2016 MY L-CAR VAPOR CAN

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, I'm taking the car in to my non-stealership local auto shop and they're running a smoke test on Tuesday. We'll see what they come up with.

They also pulled the service history and found out it had been tested before 8k miles ago in 2015. But had not been fixed. That means the dealership sold it to me knowing there was a code on the engine that they'd covered up. Sounds a bit unethical, but I'm not a car dealer, so I don't know where they draw the line.

Regardless, 80% chance it'll be covered under the 60-day 2k mile warranty through the third party, and it'll finally run optimally.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts