Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am at the ends of my whits here. I have tried everything it seems like. I have a dodge challenger 2010 R/T. I continue to get the P0462 code. My gas hand doesn't read correctly. Last week it stayed on empty for a whole week. I've cleared the code a trillion times. Example: I had 5 gallons in it (because I ran out of gas yesterday). We replaced the sending unit today. I drove it to the gas station and got a full tank. I cranked the car and it went to half a tank. Yep, I knew it was going to throw the code. It did. I cleared the code and it went to a full tank. By the time I got home, it was already one tik below full. I don't like far enough from the gas station for it to take that much gas.Just now, I got out to go back to town to see what it would do. I cranked it in the drive way and it went to half a tank. The code came up before I pulled out. I cleared it. The code came back up when I got to town. I cleared it. The code came back on before I got home. The last two times the gas hand didn't go back to half, it stayed at full....but the code still was coming back on.

I have replaced the left side fuel pump and the right side sending unit (today).The code has came back on after all this 3 times today. I replaced the left side fuel pump a while ago and was still getting the code.

I am unsure where to go to from here. My local dodge dealership requires $130 to look at it. He said something that if you didn't get OEM fuel pump and sending unit that sometimes the sensors don't like that? I'm not sure. I just wanted to try replace all the stuff I knew that I could before taking it to them.

Does anyone know what I should try before I take to them?
Does anyone know how much $ I am looking at to get it fixed?

I really have no idea what to do on my own now. I've tried replacing them, and I've tried testing the wires connected to the pumps with a multi meter. Everything has came back good, but it still gives the code.

Thank you to anyone that can help me out.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,003 Posts
Your aversion to letting the dealership diagnose it is going to put you in the poor house. I do t know how much the two fuel pumps cost, but surely each was >$130, not to mention your time and frustrations of installing them.

Take it to the dealership, let them diagnose, pay them their $130, them drive home and fix whatever they say they found the cause to be.

Just because they figure out the problem does not mean they must be paid to fix it. Pay them to do the leg work and then run the touchdown in on your own.

Reactions: BlackHemi41

·
Premium Member
10,003 Posts
Also, if they determine (rightly or wrongly) that a part is at fault, and it is one of the parts you replaced already, they will just say it’s not an OE part and continue to insist newly installed customer provided equipment means nothing to the diagnosis process.

So trying to replace everything you can before giving it to the dealership could backfire if they insist on an OE replacement for a non-OE part you already bought and installed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your aversion to letting the dealership diagnose it is going to put you in the poor house. I do t know how much the two fuel pumps cost, but surely each was >$130, not to mention your time and frustrations of installing them.

Take it to the dealership, let them diagnose, pay them their $130, them drive home and fix whatever they say they found the cause to be.

Just because they figure out the problem does not mean they must be paid to fix it. Pay them to do the leg work and then run the touchdown in on your own.
I'm fine with taking it to them and letting them diagnosis it. I've been searching the earth on this issue lol. I've posted here a year or so ago with it. That's what lead me to replacing the two pumps. I'm just really afraid that I've gotten to the point where it's really going to cost money and the only people that could fix it would be dodge :/

·
Premium Member
10,003 Posts
The circuit in question varies the ground to send the PCM a voltage signal representing the fuel level IIRC. Testing the resistance of those pumps’ wiring harness connection via backprobe while running and fault active would be my next task if I was troubleshooting this.

Finding excessive resistance on the circuit would cause problems and be relatively inexpensive to correct I would think.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A sending unit needs to be replaced I had that problem with my challenger . I took it to the dealer were I bought the car from I was told to get the fuel as low as possible they took the back seat out to get to the tank and put a new sending unit in . I could be wrong about yours but take it to the dodge dealer and they will take care of you and there are coupons on the web site also I print out alot and use them and they do help out a lot

·
Premium Member
10,003 Posts
OP has already replaced both units in the tank according to his original post

·
Premium Member
10,003 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,425 Posts
So there is a program called alfaobd (needs a OBD interface like obdlink MX) that is able to interrogate and help diagnose issues with just about every module found in a challenger. If you access the instrument cluster you can have alfa send signals to the gauge to make sure it works. It can also read the status of both fuel level sensors. However the software costs $50 and the interface ~$70 which puts you at the cost of what the dealer would charge to look at it. BUT this software is hands down the best diagnostic software for FCA vehicles.

Also, don't forget the online chilton manual which can help you diagnose your code.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys. Thanks everyone for posting. I sent it to the dealer and it's gonna have to have a cluster put in. Just wanted to update anyone if they come across this issue themselves down the road.
Side note: The tech at my local dealer said that OEM parts do matter to a extent. He said he had a charger in the back that had the same issue as me and it was the sending unit that the customer bought from o'rileys. They put a OEM part in it and it fixed it.

But for my case, the sending unit i bought on eBay worked fine, it was just my cluster that was bad.

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,260 Posts
Hey guys. Thanks everyone for posting. I sent it to the dealer and it's gonna have to have a cluster put in. Just wanted to update anyone if they come across this issue themselves down the road.
Side note: The tech at my local dealer said that OEM parts do matter to a extent. He said he had a charger in the back that had the same issue as me and it was the sending unit that the customer bought from o'rileys. They put a OEM part in it and it fixed it.

But for my case, the sending unit i bought on eBay worked fine, it was just my cluster that was bad.
Good to hear, but what's the cost of the cluster?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.