Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't climbed under the car yet, but going through the service manual looking for specs on the VSS and I don't see anything tied to the transmission for the VSS. Does the challenger only use the speed sensor at the wheel? With nothing listed in the manual it has me puzzled.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,493 Posts
I haven't climbed under the car yet, but going through the service manual looking for specs on the VSS and I don't see anything tied to the transmission for the VSS. Does the challenger only use the speed sensor at the wheel? With nothing listed in the manual it has me puzzled.

2015+ year models with the ZF A8 transmission use the wheel sensors only. 2014 and below with the NAG1 A5 transmission have a speed sensor in the transmission that is used to calculate the speed.

I cannot say which the M6 cars use, but my best guess is the wheel speed sensor

Reactions: McCloud

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,865 Posts
Speaking of the manual trans. I am going to completely remove the skip shift solenoid as I disabled it in the tune. There is a skip shift delete plug you can insert in its place.

I plan on just either putting shrink tubing over the connector on the wire harness or 3D print a cap for it.

·
Super Moderator
15,542 Posts
Speaking of the manual trans. I am going to completely remove the skip shift solenoid as I disabled it in the tune. There is a skip shift delete plug you can insert in its place.

I plan on just either put shrink tubing over the connector on the wire harness or 3D print a cap for it.
you can't simply unplug the skip-shift solenoid it will throw a MIL.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,865 Posts
you can't simply unplug the skip-shift solenoid it will throw a MIL.
Yes you can if you disable it in the tune (as I mentioned in my previous post). I already removed the skip shift eliminator and because of the tune the solenoid still does not activate.

Also a good idea to remove it from the DTC

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,865 Posts
One thing I did not know about autos is the tran cooler is part of the AC condenser (not 100% sure if true on challengers).

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, manual trans has no sensor to determine VSS. The 8HP45/8HP70/8HP90 have an input and output speed sensor used by the TCM but not for determining VSS.

Manual trans
View attachment 992682

Automatic
View attachment 992683
View attachment 992684
Thanks for all of the info.. I haven't done much of anything with the trans aside from the cdv delete and change fluid. Planned on diving into some research today.. Saved me some time..

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,865 Posts
I wish FCA would have a workbook on the TR6060 trans...I only found it for the A8. :( Although probably not much info on the manuals apart from what is in the FSM.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,725 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,865 Posts
Just an update on the skip shift solenoid removal. I have had the solenoid unplugged for some time now and no codes with the modificaitons I did to the tune. Removing the solenoid is not as easy as I thought as it requires a 1-1/16" socket if you plan to remove it without dropping the trans. Apparently Kent Moore #DT-49293 makes a socket that allows for this as most sockets are too short to reach the nut portion of the solenoid. They can be found on ebay used for $6.

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
424 Posts
Just an update on the skip shift solenoid removal. I have had the solenoid unplugged for some time now and no codes with the modificaitons I did to the tune. Removing the solenoid is not as easy as I thought as it requires a 1-1/16" socket if you plan to remove it without dropping the trans. Apparently Kent Moore #DT-49293 makes a socket that allows for this as most sockets are too short to reach the nut portion of the solenoid. They can be found on ebay used for $6.
What purpose does removing the solenoid serve?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,865 Posts
Well just removed the solenoid. Should be good for 2 tenths off my 60 foot. Just kidding...I don't race.

Here is the special 1 1/16 socket.

Now to 3d print a cap for the connector. Way too hot and muggy in the garage.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,865 Posts
Hopefully the cap I designed will work. If it does I will upload on to thingiverse and post the link in case anyone else wants to do this. Yes it seems silly to go thru all this trouble but as the doctor told my mom..."that boy ain't right".

Fits great!

Will post a link to the STL later today.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,865 Posts
As promise, the link to the STL can be found here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts