Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Srt Challenger
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I’m hoping someone can help me out here. I just recently purchased a 2011 srt challenger. When I was driving it home the check engine light came on. Later that day I checked for codes and p2097 came up. I cleared the code. To see if it would Pop up again. Since then it hasn’t , but when I went to get the car inspected in NY. The catalytic, and o2. Systems are not coming up. They told me to drive the car more. I have driven it a Few hundred miles,but those to systems are not coming up. I need one of them to pass. I’m not sure why that code p2097 hasn’t popped up again . Any advice as to what is should do? Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,209 Posts
Hello, I’m hoping someone can help me out here. I just recently purchased a 2011 srt challenger. When I was driving it home the check engine light came on. Later that day I checked for codes and p2097 came up. I cleared the code. To see if it would Pop up again. Since then it hasn’t , but when I went to get the car inspected in NY. The catalytic, and o2. Systems are not coming up. They told me to drive the car more. I have driven it a Few hundred miles,but those to systems are not coming up. I need one of them to pass. I’m not sure why that code p2097 hasn’t popped up again . Any advice as to what is should do? Thanks!
The converter and O2 sensor readiness monitors not completing is probably because the engine controller detects something out of the ordinary and this causes it to begin the readiness monitor test cycle again or abort it until next engine start at which time it will then begin anew the readiness monitor test.

Or there has been some discussion about one needing to follow a particular drive cycle. My experience with other brands of cars is if the engine/sensor population is healthy just a plain old drive to work suffices. And with my Hellcat so far this has proved to be the case. But maybe the earlier Challengers are different?

So search for a Dodge Challenger if you can find it drive cycle and try to follow that as best you can to see if you can get the converter and O2 sensor readiness monitors to complete.

As for the P2097 error code...

This link provides good detail on the code, what it means, possible causes.

The car is used. If it appears -- the car will have to be lifted up -- the exhaust system has been messed with (maybe an aftermarket system removed and the factory system reinstalled) there could be an exhaust leak.

While you have the chance check the O2 sensor's wiring and its connection to the car's wiring harness. Check the sensor has not be damaged in any way. Do not spray electronics cleaner at or on the connector.

While you do not give the car's mileage a sensor can fail at any time.

If you find no exhaust leak and the wiring and sensor look ok without access to more sophisticated test equipment this might be the time to throw parts at the problem. Two new #2 O2 sensors. I say two because I do not like to replace just one. This can introduce a difference in bank fueling as the two sensors differ considerably in response time, etc.

If the new sensors do not help then I think you are looking at having the car in and having a pro tech diagnose what's going on.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,741 Posts
There was also a bulletin for the 2011 (attached)

If you want to see diagnosing and troubleshooting, go to the Online Chilton manual

2011> Dodge> Challenger> Repair> In search box type P2097

A Guy

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,209 Posts
If it were a bad O2 sensor would the light come back on?
It depends upon the problem. In my experience when a heater circuit failed as soon as I started the engine -- and this with the engine pretty hot after stopping to fill up the gas tank -- the CEL came on. I'd read the code and then clear the code. Then I'd drive nearly 200 miles and stop to fill up the gas tank. And after fueling the car upon hot engine start the CEL would be on again. Same code.

But with another car the sensor would take around 30 minutes of engine run time before it would act up. Turning off then back on the engine would "fix" the sensor. It took me a bit of time before I would know the behavior was going to happen to actually then observe the erratic O2 sensor behavior using an OBD2 code reader/data viewer. I'd see the erratic behavior and then concurrent with this the CEL would come on.

In the case of the first vehicle the sensor had suffered a hard failure: Heater circuit. In the case of the 2nd vehicle the sensor was just wearing out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts