Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody please explain to me the point of them?

Referring my welcome post I came from a 2017 mustang gt pp 6 speed, and every car before it(camaro, civic si, 2x trans-ams, ect) has always been manual.

Now from how I have driven, the whole point of downshifting in normal driving is to use the engine to slow down, saving your brakes and sounding damn cool:)

I played around with it a bit today in my car, holy crap, all it does it dump it to an insanely low gear, max the revs and do nothing... it hardly slowed down.. am I doing something wrong?

I don't get their point, the tranny shifts WAY faster then I could ever could have in my manual, and it's smarter at picking the gears, sure if I wanted to punk around I could "pick" the right gear to have max rpm but honestly I'm saving what? Half a second compared to what the tranny does if I floor it?

I could be wrong in this, hell it wouldn't surprise me this is my first auto car since I was 18 but they seem useless to me.

Also, lol, what a shock I got when I found those controls on the back of the paddles that controlled the stereo! I thought I was going insane suddenly the stereo was going nuts lol.

You know what I wish they did? Controlled the signal lights! After all this time and all these advancements I still have to move my hands off the wheel to flick that damn leaver...

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I have the paddle shifters on the 5AT in my 13 R/T, and since there's a larger change between gears int he 5AT, manually shifting the gears has a more pronounced immediate affect that perhaps it would on the 8AT. It gives me the ability to choose a gear that's appropriate for what I'm about to do (enter a curve, accelerate to pass, slow down on a hill, )...something the car can't do. The AT can only react to conditions, but the driver can pro-actively impact the performance of the car by shifting to the gear that's needed.....before it's selected by the AT.

Personally, I prefer to shift with the auto-stick. The main reason for the paddle shifters is so you can manually shift while keeping both hands on the wheel. Even my wife's Honda Pilot has them (since they replaced the console shifter with push-buttons.) Theoretically, in track conditions, or even aggressive country road driving, you may want to grab a gear AND keep both hands on the wheel.

·
Registered
101 Posts
So a quick pull on the paddle shifter moves it 1 gear at a time. If you press and hold to down shift it will shift I believe 2 gears, or maybe it gets you as low as it safely can. When you do this prepare to redline pretty quick upon acceleration.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I can not stand paddle shifters. Hate them. I'm a manual 6 speed guy.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
I turned my paddle shifter to "off" when I took delivery of my Challenger.

I use the regular shifter when I do use the Autostick. Old fart stuck in his old ways I guess.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Give me paddle shifters any day. Can't beat em on a road course. Better in between gears than manual and much faster for me.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
I let the auto do it's job in my GT mostly. I use the paddle shifter only to down shift a couple of gears when I am passing a car and want the power to come on now and not later when the transmission realizes that I want fast acceleration a second or two after I floor the go pedal. Tried to use them for decelerating when I first got the car and found that because of the rev-matching it is useless as the rev-matching is to smooth the gear changing and put the engine up into the power band for better acceleration but does nothing to help slow the car down. I wish the rev-matching was something that we could turn off when we wanted. At least I also have a Scat Pack Shaker with a manual gearbox to drive when I feel the need to row my own boat down the street.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Oh we SOOOOO need to have this debate here. Manual guys vs. Auto guys. A8 guys vs A5 guys. Auto-stick vs. Paddle Shifter guys. Which is faster, which is better, which is funner (yes I said funner).

There's not much debate over faster. The AT shifts faster and can beat an M6 driver 100 times out of 100 in a straight line.

I don't know how an M6 driver could beat an AT using paddles or auto-stick. The time to press the clutch, move the shifter, and release the clutch is significantly more motion (and time) than the motion and time to move the paddles or auto-stick.

So it seems to me that the pecking order for speed is Auto - First, Manual shifting Auto - second, Manual - third.

M6 is definitely fun and old school, when driving for fun, but not so fun when driving for commuting, in traffic, or when nursing a broken toe on your left foot. Mucho respect for M6 drivers, but frankly, even in the muscle car, you're a dying breed.

Better is obviously severely objective. I like the 5AT better than the 8AT because EVERY gear change gets you something. In the 8AT, a down shift from 8, to 7, to 6 is hardly noticeable. Also, first and second in the 8AT are pretty much not needed for daily driving. Good for the launch, but on a run around town in the 8AT, you pretty much just use 3, 4, 5, 6, so the 8AT becomes a 4AT. I guess that makes it more versitile? But not sure about better.

I prefer Auto-stick to paddles. Paddles feel like I'm racing a game on the X-Box. Auto-stick feels like I'm driving a real car. There are still times the paddles come in handy, while hanging on for dear-life in a turn, and grabbing gears at the same time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ah ok cool, thanks for the info guys.

I'm keeping mine turned off, I get their point now but honestly coming from a manual the main reason I got an auto this time was 1. I live in an area that can have nasty stop and go traffic, and 2. I wanted to be able to be "fast" without blowing the engine or grinding gears when I miss a shift, and yes I said when:)

I had to say it cause I love them but I don't see manuals sticking around, the new autos are amazing, the 2018 mustang has a 10 speed!

Funny thing is now that I have the car being fast is the last thing on my mind, such an amazing car for cruising around!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Oh we SOOOOO need to have this debate here. Manual guys vs. Auto guys. A8 guys vs A5 guys. Auto-stick vs. Paddle Shifter guys. Which is faster, which is better, which is funner (yes I said funner).

There's not much debate over faster. The AT shifts faster and can beat an M6 driver 100 times out of 100 in a straight line.

I don't know how an M6 driver could beat an AT using paddles or auto-stick. The time to press the clutch, move the shifter, and release the clutch is significantly more motion (and time) than the motion and time to move the paddles or auto-stick.

So it seems to me that the pecking order for speed is Auto - First, Manual shifting Auto - second, Manual - third.

M6 is definitely fun and old school, when driving for fun, but not so fun when driving for commuting, in traffic, or when nursing a broken toe on your left foot. Mucho respect for M6 drivers, but frankly, even in the muscle car, you're a dying breed.

Better is obviously severely objective. I like the 5AT better than the 8AT because EVERY gear change gets you something. In the 8AT, a down shift from 8, to 7, to 6 is hardly noticeable. Also, first and second in the 8AT are pretty much not needed for daily driving. Good for the launch, but on a run around town in the 8AT, you pretty much just use 3, 4, 5, 6, so the 8AT becomes a 4AT. I guess that makes it more versitile? But not sure about better.

I prefer Auto-stick to paddles. Paddles feel like I'm racing a game on the X-Box. Auto-stick feels like I'm driving a real car. There are still times the paddles come in handy, while hanging on for dear-life in a turn, and grabbing gears at the same time.
I totally agree with you on all of this. The paddle shifters are great for road racing, but the auto stick is perfect for the street, especially with the A5.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
It’s pretty obvious that the “best” transmission & method of rowing thru the gears is the one that best meets the driver’s needs & wants. I’m just happy to have 3 choices in my A8 - the car will match whatever I happen to want at the time. Just another reason I love my Challenger.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It’s pretty obvious that the “best” transmission & method of rowing thru the gears is the one that best meets the driver’s needs & wants. I’m just happy to have 3 choices in my A8 - the car will match whatever I happen to want at the time. Just another reason I love my Challenger.
I keep forgetting about the third option lol. Come to think of it that is really amazing actually, three ways to shift gears.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I turned my paddle shifter to "off" when I took delivery of my Challenger.

I use the regular shifter when I do use the Autostick. Old fart stuck in his old ways I guess.
paddle shifting i have on 2 of my cars & really don't like either.ok for straight forward, but when turning the wheel useless. i much prefer the auto stick on the a8 to the a5. that slapping the stick right & left never made sense to me. but love autostick on the a8 especially just fooling around. the problem with the 392 is 1st& 2nd happen so fast you better be on the ball or you hit the rev limiter every time. have taken rev limiter off on 1 of my cars with a tune. would never do it on the 392, would blow it sky high!!

·
Registered
387 Posts
paddle shifting i have on 2 of my cars & really don't like either.ok for straight forward, but when turning the wheel useless. i much prefer the auto stick on the a8 to the a5. that slapping the stick right & left never made sense to me. but love autostick on the a8 especially just fooling around. the problem with the 392 is 1st& 2nd happen so fast you better be on the ball or you hit the rev limiter every time. have taken rev limiter off on 1 of my cars with a tune. would never do it on the 392, would blow it sky high!!
That's why I wish the paddle shifters were steering column mounted like in Ferraris or Lambos instead of steering wheel mounted. Once you do a tighter turn in the Challenger, the paddles are in a different position. That can be annoying when you're trying to turn right on a red light or so and want to start in 1st.

Personally I prefer the paddles though during upshifts since it's just much crisper and you can shift so much faster right at that desired RPM than using the auto stick where you need to make a longer motion. Kind of like a hair trigger vs a long pull!

The thing I like with auto stick though is that you can easily switch it back into automatic by pushing it back to the right. It's not as simple of a motion with paddles cause you have to keep the right paddle down for 2 seconds or so and sometimes if you can end up just upshifting instead of putting back in auto cause you didn't hold it long enough.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts