Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...I brought the Scat Pack Challenger in for Service (Oil Change, Differential TSB – Fluid Change). While I had it in, I mentioned a paint bubble in the drivers side wheel well. Service sent photo to Dodge to gain approval for fix under warranty. This paint bubble was very small (couple millimeters), but I wanted it addressed so it wouldn’t flake off and end up causing rust or corrosion in the future. Approval was received from Dodge, so I made an appointment and dropped off the car on Oct 30th.

Nov 9th, Service called to let me know that the Body Shop was done with the car and it has been returned to the Dealership. However, the Service Adviser (who is great BTW) informed me that the Scat Pack stripe has been applied crooked, and wanted my opinion on it. He sent me pictures, I reviewed, and we both agreed the body shop should redo the Stripe. Body Shop said Monday Nov 13th the would be able to redo the Stripe.

Well, Nov 14th brought some bad news. Service called to let me know that when the Body Shop removed the Scat Stripe, that clear coat was removed in some spots. My guess is that the Clear/Paint was not fully cured from the initial fix (Sounds like the whole rear quarter was painted as part of this paint bubble fix, which still amazes me) and when the Stripe was pulled back off from being crooked, it pulled the clear coat as well.

So, here we are today, Nov 17th and my car is at the Body Shop again to figure out the next plan of action.

I just wanted to get some feedback from you guys, and see if any of you have gone through anything similar.

What do you think the fix is going to be, as I know you can't just fill that clear void. Also, how do you think this will play into the cars value, long term or resale?

Pics attached for paint bubble, crooked stripes, and lastly clear coat damage.

Attachments

·
Registered
955 Posts
1st. That paint bubble was a factory run in the clear. They could have just sanded it off. That would have made it about 95% invisible. That bubble would never have gotten any worse. This could all have been taken care of in 30 minutes.

2nd. Clear coat can not be blended, it must be ran to a panel edge. That's why the entire 1/4 was re-cleared.

Your door, rear bumper and trunk lid should have also came off for a full uniside blend, that's the correct, professional process. I know for a fact that Dodge does not allow clear blends, within a panel. I can also guarantee that they didn't do a full uniside blend.

An incorrect repair is not a warranty repair. A warranty repair follows OEM guidelines.

Now your 1/4 will be painted for he 3rd time. Factory paint, 1st failed attempt, now the 2nd attempt. This brings up the question of what Dodge allows for maximum film build on a panel.

Ask what the maximum allowable film build is according to the manufacturer. There is one, don't let them bull shit you. Then have them measure it in front of you. They likely don't have the gauge for making the measurement.

I'm a collision repair professional.

·
Registered
32 Posts
What scat said....Looks like a run in the clear coat. A little wet-sanding would have fixed it and you would have been good-to-go......

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What scat said....Looks like a run in the clear coat. A little wet-sanding would have fixed it and you would have been good-to-go......
LOL, well....way too late now :).

Thanks for the posts guys, I do appreciate it.

I just called the dealership, they said they are stripping the paint down and repainting. I am not sure if they'll blend to the other panels, I guess we'll see how it looks when it's done. ETA is Monday.

What I really want to know is, is this going to effect resale value?

·
Registered
274 Posts
If they do a PERFECT job and it doesn't show up on the vehicle history it shouldn't affect resale value. A 100% perfect job is highly unlikely though (sorry but that is my honest opinion.).

I know it is too late now, but I always believed it is best to leave the factory finish alone if at all possible. Sometimes the fix is worse than the original flaw or problem. I worked at a dealership for several years and saw it firsthand. I seriously hope it works out for you, I know how sick you must feel at this point.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If they do a PERFECT job and it doesn't show up on the vehicle history it shouldn't affect resale value. A 100% perfect job is highly unlikely though (sorry but that is my honest opinion.).

I know it is too late now, but I always believed it is best to leave the factory finish alone if at all possible. Sometimes the fix is worse than the original flaw or problem. I worked at a dealership for several years and saw it firsthand. I seriously hope it works out for you, I know how sick you must feel at this point.
I've learned my lesson, and yes....im feeling sick about the whole deal.

I almost want to just start over.

I mean, they've had it since Oct 30th, they might as well keep it.......right?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
1st. That paint bubble was a factory run in the clear. They could have just sanded it off. That would have made it about 95% invisible. That bubble would never have gotten any worse. This could all have been taken care of in 30 minutes.

2nd. Clear coat can not be blended, it must be ran to a panel edge. That's why the entire 1/4 was re-cleared.

Your door, rear bumper and trunk lid should have also came off for a full uniside blend, that's the correct, professional process. I know for a fact that Dodge does not allow clear blends, within a panel. I can also guarantee that they didn't do a full uniside blend.

An incorrect repair is not a warranty repair. A warranty repair follows OEM guidelines.

Now your 1/4 will be painted for he 3rd time. Factory paint, 1st failed attempt, now the 2nd attempt. This brings up the question of what Dodge allows for maximum film build on a panel.

Ask what the maximum allowable film build is according to the manufacturer. There is one, don't let them bull shit you. Then have them measure it in front of you. They likely don't have the gauge for making the measurement.

I'm a collision repair professional.
x2 plus make sure to check for poor masking and paint edges around qrtr glass and rear glass, mldgs etc.
roof and drip mldgs should also have been R&I'D ( removed and installed) also
for a better quality job
or the new paint has high risk of peeling along those areas and edges
also look for dust and/or orange peel and/or solvent popping in the redo paint
and if it has than don't accept it
i feel for you
i'm a journeyman body repair professional for over 30 yrs and this would have me very upset also:icon_evil:
original paint run could have been sanded out, stripe not installed correctly and original paint not prepped properly for adhesion are all bad signs
of poor workmanship
don't mean to scare you but all of this could have been prevented if handled correctly from the beginning
hope this turns out o.k. for you:thumbsup:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Just wondering if the deck lid was out of alignment? Can it be adjusted with regard to the misaligned stripe? I have a personal friend who does graphics for a living and I’ve seen him wrap a custom stripe over the deck lid on to the quarter and just cut it at the separation. Even stripes on the sides from door to door to fenders. That’s why I’m asking maybe the deck lid is out of adjustment if there’s any?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Back in 02 , bought my wife a plain Jane Stratus, had a ding on the passenger door, easy fix. went to pick it up and the entire passenger side was repainted, bad masking . I raised so much hell 2 hours later I drove off the lot with a full loaded R/T , Same price . Hope yours turns out ok

·
Registered
955 Posts
Your car can absolutely be repaired correctly, finding someone that will do a correct repair is the hard part. I will see if I can find a shop in your area through my network.

What city and state?

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just wondering if the deck lid was out of alignment? Can it be adjusted with regard to the misaligned stripe? I have a personal friend who does graphics for a living and I’ve seen him wrap a custom stripe over the deck lid on to the quarter and just cut it at the separation. Even stripes on the sides from door to door to fenders. That’s why I’m asking maybe the deck lid is out of adjustment if there’s any?
I asked about that actually. The other side was lined up perfect.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Back in 02 , bought my wife a plain Jane Stratus, had a ding on the passenger door, easy fix. went to pick it up and the entire passenger side was repainted, bad masking . I raised so much hell 2 hours later I drove off the lot with a full loaded R/T , Same price . Hope yours turns out ok
Lol, nice. Maybe I'll leave with a hellcat then!

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your car can absolutely be repaired correctly, finding someone that will do a correct repair is the hard part. I will see if I can find a shop in your area through my network.

What city and state?
If the dealership fails, I'll let you know. If you have any contacts in MN 55449 (blaine), let me know. I can have them inspect the work.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
x2 plus make sure to check for poor masking and paint edges around qrtr glass and rear glass, mldgs etc.
roof and drip mldgs should also have been R&I'D ( removed and installed) also
for a better quality job
or the new paint has high risk of peeling along those areas and edges
also look for dust and/or orange peel and/or solvent popping in the redo paint
and if it has than don't accept it
i feel for you
i'm a journeyman body repair professional for over 30 yrs and this would have me very upset also:icon_evil:
original paint run could have been sanded out, stripe not installed correctly and original paint not prepped properly for adhesion are all bad signs
of poor workmanship
don't mean to scare you but all of this could have been prevented if handled correctly from the beginning
hope this turns out o.k. for you
Thank you!

I plan to look it over good, and really hope it's good.

I'm still irritated that it was this much work though, and we will see where that goes.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I asked about that actually. The other side was lined up perfect.

If it was out that bad from one side to the other, you would see it along the rear spoiler line. A good body man would of noticed the deckLid out of alignment rather than the appearance of the stripe. I hope it all works out for u. Maybe consider leaving the stripe off until the new paint cures. There are many other stripe options for these cars. Custom work is endless. Keep in mind these stripes are not put on in the Brampton plant; They are installed here in Windsor Ontario. Why the clear peeled off is beyond me unless it came damaged to the dealership and they did the repair and rushing the stripe back onto the car. You would never know.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If it was out that bad from one side to the other, you would see it along the rear spoiler line. A good body man would of noticed the deckLid out of alignment rather than the appearance of the stripe. I hope it all works out for u. Maybe consider leaving the stripe off until the new paint cures. There are many other stripe options for these cars. Custom work is endless. Keep in mind these stripes are not put on in the Brampton plant; They are installed here in Windsor Ontario. Why the clear peeled off is beyond me unless it came damaged to the dealership and they did the repair and rushing the stripe back onto the car. You would never know.
The clear that peeled up was new paint and clear that was applied as part of the fix for the clear bubble that was in the first pic in the wheel well.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well....guess what.

Traded a few messages with my adviser today. The Body Shop said my car won't be ready today. Reason, they tried painting the quarter without taking out the quarter window. In doing so, this left a tape line that was not fixable. So they are pulling the window, striping the paint and going to do it yet again. This is just unreal.

How in their right mind do they think skimping on try number 2 will get them anywhere. The first fix, they removed the quarter window, as they was a delay in getting the window tint guy to the shop to reapply tint. Now, this time they decide that isn't needed and try to just tape it off....and it leads to a paint line.

Ugg....I am frustrated.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I also have the same imperfections on all four wheel wells. After reading this I think I'll live with them. I only notice them when running my finger along the bottom of the wheel wells or when washing the car. I do hope they restore your car to new condition. Good Luck

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I also have the same imperfections on all four wheel wells. After reading this I think I'll live with them. I only notice them when running my finger along the bottom of the wheel wells or when washing the car. I do hope they restore your car to new condition. Good Luck
Yeah, leave it alone! Lol.

Otherwise, have someone who knows what they're dealing with and can just sand some of the clear off..

Had I know their plan of action, I would have just left it as well and went to a custom body shop.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts