Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who out there has painted the heat shield of their CAI the color of their car - or some other color?

I'll be installing my CAI soon, and am trying to decide whether to paint the heat shield the color of my car (white) so it will blend in more with the engine compartment, or keep the shield black. I remember a while back seeing it painted the color of the car (blue) and it looked good.

Pease POST PICS.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have a Mopar CAI on mine that is painted (tube and box) I will post up some pics in a little while.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hopefully this will help with ideas....

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What Color Best Blocks Heat to CAI?

Ok, now I am considering the heat shield color as far as function; yes I know I wouldn't see any direct improvement, but insulating and blocking more heat should help the intake/engine run a little more efficient, so what color would be best to paint the outside wall (part that faces the engine) of the heat shield in order to block the engine heat from entering or radiating to the CAI filter: white, black, or a reflective silver? Then, in theory, should the inside wall (part that faces the CAI filter) be painted a different color to help dissipate any heat inside the heat shield box and keep that area cooler?

Whatever color I decide, I'd be using the high heat ceramic paint which would afford some slight degree of insulation properties.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Reflective(chrome) towards the engine, flat black against the filter side. Dont know that the black necessarily help absorb any more heat than usual, maybe it would to a certain degree, but a chrome side towards the engine will def affect how much heat the shield absorbs

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Het Shield: White Exterior w/black Interior

I was debating chrome/silver for the exterior of the heat shield, but figured since my car is white, I could match it with the body color, and white would be the next best thing to using silver for reflecting the engine heat. For the interior (filter) side of the heat shield, I painted it flat black. I hope to install it tomorrow before the Big Game, and post pics.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I installed it before the Superbowl, and it looks really good. I hope to post pics tomorrow. I think painting the heat shield of a CAI the color of the car or as an accent to the car's color is a good idea. I hope more people post pics of their painted heat shields.

I primed both sides of the two walls of the heat shield, then gave both sides of each of the walls three coats of the heat resistant black paint, then re-primed the exterior side and added three coats of Bright White to match the color of my car, and finished it with two coats of clear.

As far as function of the type of paint (using a heat insulating paint) and color (for heat reflection), I have this observation:
Yesterday as I returned home from a five hour drive (keep in mind I live in Florida and yesterday was a gorgeous summery day even though it's February - don't hate me because you're cold up north), I popped the hood and felt inside the airbox and I felt the filter - they were not hot at all. I then felt the engine and engine compartment and they were hot as expected. Anecdotal I'm sure, but it looks like the area inside the heat shield was kept considerably cooler. Is it because of the colors I chose, or the fact that I used ceramic heat resistant paint, or both? I couldn't say, I'm guessing both...actually, since I did no temperature testing before or after the CAI install, we don't even know that the stock air box doesn't keep the air filter and area cooler than the CAI, whether painted with heat reflective colors and insulating paint. I just know that te area inside the heat shield was considerably cooler. I'm sure the paint mod added at least 20 HP - yes, I'm joking.

In the big skeam of things, I think matching or accenting the color of the CAI heat shield with your car looks good, and if you are going to paint it anyway, might as well consider the color and type of paint you use as far as keeping the CAI cooler. It (probably) helps the air stay cooler and resist heat soak, thereby helping the engine run smoother / perform better.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I would guess its prob because you used white, which tends absorb less heat than other colors, reflecting more heat back to the engine comp. Cool functional mod! Think i may fab my own heat shield just for this purpose! (In between all my other want-to projects lol)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pics of Painted CAI Heatshield

I used Dupli-color Ceramic Engine Paint (Semi-gloss Black) and Dupli-color Vehicle Paint (Bright White).

Here's pics of it. Please excuse the dirty engine bay; I had all intentions to detail it during the install, but time wouldn't permit me to do both.

Who else out there has painted CAI heat shields?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
looks great guys

·
Registered
332 Posts
Nice job RockanRoll, looks good.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CAI Filter Warning Decal - Opinion

Along with several logo decals, my Airaid CAI came with a cool looking DO NOT DISCARD AIR FILTER decal warning that it is a re-usable filter. I guess other CAI manufacturers supply a similar decal.

Asking for opinions:

Did anyone use the warning decal, if so where did you post it - inside heat shield, outside the heat shield, on the header panel near the CAI, or somewhere else? Pics, please.......

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Along with several logo decals, my Airaid CAI came with a cool looking DO NOT DISCARD AIR FILTER decal warning that it is a re-usable filter. I guess other CAI manufacturers supply a similar decal.

Asking for opinions:

Did anyone use the warning decal, if so where did you post it - inside heat shield, outside the heat shield, on the header panel near the CAI, or somewhere else? Pics, please.......[/QUOTE

Here's a pic of the decal:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I would put it directly underneath the air filter so that it was the first thing you saw when you removed the filter, but couldnt see it while filter was installed. Just a thought

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's actually a cool decal decal - reminds me of the warning decals on fighter jets. Any other CAIs come with a similar decal?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Reflect-A-Cool Added

Added Reflect-A-Cool (comes in 12"x24" self-adhesive, easy trim sheet) to exterior side of heat shield to increase heat barrier for CAI. As you apply the wrap it tends to wrinkle/crease, but still looks good. Would have come out better had I removed the CAI to apply it, but didn't have the time.

Wish I had thought of this when I bought the CAI, and just covered the entire exterior of the heat shield as I assembled it.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts