Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any update on the paint situation? Are dealers still restricted taking 2011 orders or have they been lifted yet? I heard the plant in Japan is supposed to come back online in June. When will production of the 2012s start? I went to Dodge's web site last night to configure a Challenger and I did not see where it restricted me in colors. Any update is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
16,475 Posts
Merck (supplier of Xirillac paint ingredient) is announcing that production is expected to resume.

Dodge (traditionally in the past...) has switched model years in mid-August, not sure when 2011 MY is wrapped up. I know some of the other lines have wrapped up retail orders for 2011 at this point.

The LX / LC line had a late start Nov - Dec, so its hard to say if 2011 will be a "short" year due to the late start and possible cutoff at August.

The restrictions I've noticed have been on Blackberry Pearl, Brilliant Black, Redline 3, Tungsten and other colors that use the pearl compound in the paint.

It appears that there are stocks of Toxic Orange and Green with Envy (these have pearl compound in them) that aren't affected by the production interruption, so Chrysler must have built up an inventory before the earthquake occurred.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was told by someone on this forum that Tungsten wasn't effected, and just had a dealer order me a Tungsten R/T Classic..

I wonder if/when I will get the phone call that it ain't gonna happen..

The order was supposedly placed this Tuesday/Wednesday..

Hmmm....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Is there any update on the paint situation? Are dealers still restricted taking 2011 orders or have they been lifted yet? I heard the plant in Japan is supposed to come back online in June. When will production of the 2012s start? I went to Dodge's web site last night to configure a Challenger and I did not see where it restricted me in colors. Any update is appreciated. Thanks.
They are still restricting orders, I tried to order a Billet SRT8 two days ago and was told the only orders being accepted are for the toxic orange. They also said the 2010 production should start in August.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I was told by someone on this forum that Tungsten wasn't effected, and just had a dealer order me a Tungsten R/T Classic..
Tungsten is one of the few colors unaffected, but according to the website, the R/T Classic isn't available in that color, so you might want to check with the dealer to make sure the order went in correctly.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Not sure how much time is left to order a Challenger as per this site they say last order date is today but they do say "All dates are estimated and subject to change".
Chrysler Cars (Build Out Final Order Start Up Dates)
The replacement colors I posted a few days ago in another thread but here they are again once.
Brilliant Black (PXR) to be replaced with Black (PX8)
Billet Silver (PJC) to be replaced with Bright Silver (PS2)
Redline Tricoat (PRY) to be replaced with TorRed (PR3)
Blackberry (PBV) to be replaced with Midnight Blue (PB8)
Link here.
https://www.fleet.chrysler.com/flee...91f4e735RCRD&ptitle=Build and Price a Vehicle

Not sure really what is going on this is just info from some links in my bookmarks from my days of searching for info during my ordering days.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the infos! Darren, do you think some of the colors like brilliant black will come back once the pigment is available again or do you think they will stay with the flat black for quite a while now? Just wondering if you had heard anything...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Tungsten is one of the few colors unaffected, but according to the website, the R/T Classic isn't available in that color, so you might want to check with the dealer to make sure the order went in correctly.

What is interesting is yes, the website doesnt' show Tungsten available for the Classic however the brochure I have does, and look at this...

I will check with the dealer and see if they have recieved a confirmation on the order yet..

Stay tuned..

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,475 Posts
Is that Tungsten? I thought Tungsten had more brown in it?

See here;
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/new-2011-tungsten-challenger-pics-51347/
I think you're seeing the difference between artificial lighting and natural daylight - the indoor shot is kind of dark and the fluorescent lights might cast a more yellow/green light. Those indoor shots are kind of dark conditions too.

Dark Titanium ('09 color) would change color based on light. It would look gray/green in some instances and more gray/brown in others.

I suspect that Tungsten has various pigments to it and not just the dark silver / "smoke" gray color like we saw on cars in the 80s-90s.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts