Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday afternoon/evening I went to local dealer and drove a 14' RT+ Slate Gray w/Blacktop package. I loved the way it drove, performance, and great aesthetics. Came to a preliminary agreement and came back next day to pick up and complete paperwork. Was giving the car a once over b/f signing and noticed many paint defects and contamination. Some minor scratches and imperfections would be ok but 30+ Tiny raised paint areas including raised tiny bumps under the decals were a deal breaker for me. Maybe I'm too picky or just have really high expectations.

My question is, is this common, the norm as the dealer stated to me? I was thinking about finding or ordering the same one but am concerned about having the same issues. Thanks

·
Registered
588 Posts
Yesterday afternoon/evening I went to local dealer and drove a 14' RT+ Slate Gray w/Blacktop package. I loved the way it drove, performance, and great aesthetics. Came to a preliminary agreement and came back next day to pick up and complete paperwork. Was giving the car a once over b/f signing and noticed many paint defects and contamination. Some minor scratches and imperfections would be ok but 30+ Tiny raised paint areas including raised tiny bumps under the decals were a deal breaker for me. Maybe I'm too picky or just have really high expectations.

My question is, is this common, the norm as the dealer stated to me? I was thinking about finding or ordering the same one but am concerned about having the same issues. Thanks
Well I guess the first question I would ask.....have you looked at other challengers, up close, for comparison?

Nothing wrong with the paint on my car and I'm very picky.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I ordered mine 1 issue on the paint around the lip of the hood they refinished it and some issues inside the trunk. Other then that 2 scratches that were a result of the delivery process. The dealership fixed all the issues and the car now looks perfect, though I would of enjoyed not dealing with them having my car for 2 days.

·
Premium Member
N/A
1,814 Posts
Did you ask the dealer if they would correct the issues you found? I am sure they would have taken care of these issues.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts

Most new cars have "trash" in the paint at this price point. My '13 Mustang GT had it and I've noticed two small specs in my RT's paint. I'm sure I'll find more over time. My previous Challenger had a couple of fish eyes and a larger piece of trash that had been sanded smooth and cleared over. It looked like a little black dot in my silver paint. Just search for paint trash on this forum and you can read about previous threads on Challenger paint. Plenty of reported flaws with other members, it's very common. 30+ seems very excessive. Were those air bubbles in the decals or in the finish?

My dad owned a body shop so I'm pretty picky and notice flaws that most would not. Walk around a car lot and look long enough, and just about every car will have some flaws in the finish.

Reactions: pdx.challenger

·
Registered
262 Posts
I agree that 30 blemishes is a lot so maybe look for another. I think all cars have problems nowadays.

Keep in mind as well that the paint of today is really crap anyways and doesn't stand up to much punishment like the cars of the old days. Dark colors also do not help the situation.

·
Premium Member
3,017 Posts
Every Challenger I have looked at including mine has some dirt specks in the paint. I have not looked any '14s.

Our '10 Jeep and my '11 GMC pickup paint was flawless when new.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I am really pleased with the paint on my 2012 compaired to my last newer vehicle, 2006 F150 that had to be the thinnest paint ever applied and felt like sandpaper.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback. No I have not looked at many Challengers for comparison. Yes, the dealer was willing to try to make it work but i was not interested in having them remove the decals, fix the paint, and then hope they can reapply them as well as the factory. I would have driven it home with a few defects/imperfections but not this many for a "new" $30k+ plus vehicle. In my opinion, it should have never left the factory this way. The dealer stated that "we have come to accept these types of quality issues and so should you if interested in one of these vehicles". Uh, BS.

My main reason for the inquiry here is to see if there are enough positive experiences to roll the dice and order one to my spec. since I cannot locate one within 500 miles.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Did you ask if they would correct the issues and then you'd decide? Although a bit excessive according to your count, the things you mention are hardly rocket science to fix.

I just did a complete paint detail on my '13 and found 2 or 3 dust specks, one tiny scratch in the clear coat and orange peel below the beltline and you know what - I don't care. It's a Dodge, not a Bentley.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you ask if they would correct the issues and then you'd decide? Although a bit excessive according to your count, the things you mention are hardly rocket science to fix.

I just did a complete paint detail on my '13 and found 2 or 3 dust specks, one tiny scratch in the clear coat and orange peel below the beltline and you know what - I don't care. It's a Dodge, not a Bentley.
Easy for you to say. I would have a new Challenger in my garage if it had 3 dust specks and a tiny scratch. I would not care either. Try 30+ paint issues and if you feel the same.

And yes, it's not a Bentley and it's not a Yugo either

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
Paint is not a Chrysler/Fiat strong point by any stretch of the imagination....
Dirt, Blemishes, Scratches, ORANGE PEEL, and incredibly THIN soft paint abound.

When we 1st started looking at 300's back in 08 I couldn't believe how bad some cars looked, while others were pretty solid. But most were not... Challengers were by & large just as bad. Now that we have one of each... both Black, one thing is very apparent.... the paint on both is incredibly thin! If you wanted to... you could scratch it down to the primer with a paper towel. My Road Runner had a piece of 4x8 sheet rock drop from the ceiling of a rented garage and land (break apart) on the trunk. Not only did the scratches in the original 40 yr old paint NOT go down to the primer... (they buffed right out), and there were no dents either. (A new car would have been replacing body panels) I can show you little scratches all over my '10 Challenger from peoples finger nails... just from women touching it with there long claws at car shows. As well as from purses/pocketbooks hitting the car as they walk past. You have to drop a hammer on a 40yr old car to scratch the paint... but the new ones will scratch if a big enough leaf hits it.... not to mention all the divots in the front fascia of both cars... just from hitting bugs. The only marks in the front of my old Challenger's paint are from stinking ROCKS.... bugs don't chip old paint... not even those big old Florida beetles . ;)

Note: The old cars had a lot of dirt & orange peel too...
But they had more than enough paint applied to be able to cut them down & buff mirror smooth.
Try that with the new cars, and you will be looking at shinny primer all over the place. :(

Reactions: salvy59

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Easy for you to say. I would have a new Challenger in my garage if it had 3 dust specks and a tiny scratch. I would not care either. Try 30+ paint issues and if you feel the same.
You missed my point. I asked if you would be willing to have the dealer correct the problems before you made a decision.

Don't get all pissy, I'm just trying to help.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, I wasn't willing to have the dealer fix these issues. I wasn't confident with the outcome especially removing factory decals and reinstalling.

Not getting pissy, I appreciate the help. Just saying your lucky. I could live with what you have. Me, no I'm too picky and can't justify 30k on that. A 35k car shouldn't have that many paint imperfections regardless of brand.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
No, I wasn't willing to have the dealer fix these issues. I wasn't confident with the outcome especially removing factory decals and reinstalling.

Not getting pissy, I appreciate the help. Just saying your lucky. I could live with what you have. Me, no I'm too picky and can't justify 30k on that. A 35k car shouldn't have that many paint imperfections regardless of brand.
I agree with you, get one that doesn't need to be "messed with". you're paying for it. The good thing is there's more like that car around to choose from!

·
Super Moderator
14,139 Posts
I think that the fit and finish vary from car to car and from year to year.

I know that when the Challengers were first produced in 2008-2009, factory workers took a lot of pride in them. They were a symbol of Chrysler/Dodge's great past and hope for the future. (Remember that Chrysler almost went out of business and had to be bailed out by the federal government). Now, it is just another car coming down the assembly line.

The paint on my 2009 SRT is nearly perfect, with only four dust specks. That being said, it is very thin and chips easily (like most modern cars).

1 - 20 of 51 Posts