Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Charger SPWB
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made an observation regarding the paint finish in the engine compartment and trunk areas of my SPWB Charger. I'm wondering if the same is true of Challengers? My understanding of the Challenger is there is a clear coat applied only to Hellcats in these areas, but I'm wondering if the Scat Pack Wide Bodies also receive this benefit, since this is the case in the Charger.
I wonder if both the Scat Pack and Hellcat Wide Bodies are painted in the same manner just to make things run easier? All Charger wide bodies are clear coated over the base coat so that whether it's going to receive a HC or 392 engine, it can become either one according to the build sheet. This is what I believe to be the case, anyway. Does anyone know if this is true of the Challenger?

·
Premium Member
2021 SPWB Shaker A8
595 Posts
SP Shakers including WB have clear coat in the engine bay. Not sure about non-Shaker WBs

Reactions: USponycar

·
Registered
2021 Charger SPWB
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SP Shakers including WB have clear coat in the engine bay. Not sure about non-Shaker WBs
I thought all Shakers get a clear coat under the hood? IDK for sure, but my theory that all wide bodies get clear coated under the hood is supported by the fact that the Shaker WB is. It would make sense for a painted wide body frame traveling down the line be able to be used for a SP, HC, and Shaker. But then again, maybe I'me full of it lol.

my shaker wide body is clear coated under the hood, but not the inside of the trunk, amazing the cheapness not to spray at least the visible areas.

View attachment 1030935
That looks VERY nicely finished. A little unbelievably nice if that's possible lol. Did you put the painted strut tower brace and covers on?

·
Premium Member
4,179 Posts
My understanding is that the only Scat Packs that get clear coated engine bay and under hood are the Shakers. Not the trunk. At least that is how it is for my SPWBS.
Vehicle Plant Blue Hood Automotive lighting
Car Vehicle Grille Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Car Vehicle Tire Hood Blue

·
Premium Member
4,665 Posts
My 2020 SP WB does not appear to be clear coated. I think it is for Shakers only and Hellcats.

Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive air manifold

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Shakers are cleared under the hood but not the trunk

Reactions: SKT PK 9 Man

·
Super Moderator
17,264 Posts
Hellcat models and Shaker models are clear coat engine bay - not done on the other lines

·
Registered
2021 Charger SPWB
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hellcat models and Shaker models are clear coat engine bay - not done on the other lines
Okay, I had to go out and recheck my original observation and I have to admit I was only 100% WRONG lol! Both engine and trunk are not clear coated after all on my SPWB, so forget anything I said. I do think the paint job in these areas may have just ended up better than what I'm used to in the past. Maybe the guy in the paint booth had a heavy trigger finger so he wasn't as sparing with the base coat, but there's definitely no clear coat added. Thanks to all that responded to "clear" things up. Anyway, we got some very nice pics of different configurations and mods!

·
Super Moderator
17,264 Posts
Okay, I had to go out and recheck my original observation and I have to admit I was only 100% WRONG lol! Both engine and trunk are not clear coated after all on my SPWB, so forget anything I said. I do think the paint job in these areas may have just ended up better than what I'm used to in the past. Maybe the guy in the paint booth had a heavy trigger finger so he wasn't as sparing with the base coat, but there's definitely no clear coat added. Thanks to all that responded to "clear" things up. Anyway, we got some very nice pics of different configurations and mods!
automated paint lines at the plant

the only hand sprayed paint would have been the matte paint hoods for the T/A and 50th Anniversary models - as they are done at the upfit center after they leave the Brampton assembly line

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,876 Posts
Wish my under hood were clear coated...need more shiny!
Vision care Jaw Gesture Smile Eyewear

A Guy

Reactions: snobrdrdan
1 - 17 of 17 Posts