Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
I don't think the original paint there is anything but primer. I painted mine cast iron grey because I didn't want them to stand out, just not look rusty.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
I am just going to shoot mine with 1100 degree BBQ Black. When it gets hot and cures it has a nice lusterless sheen to it.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Apparently mine was left in the snow or a puddle! Before and after pics....

The driver rear (shown) was the worst but all mine were like that.

Fixed em but this is pretty much unacceptable for a $50,000 car, IE or not.

IMHO.

Elbow grease and TLC I suppose

Jack em up and get a 22mm socket

-Dino

Attachments

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Dino,

Chew out Brembo... they made the rotors.. Dodge didn't! I agree that after the gorgeous finish job Brembo did on the calipers, they really blew it on the rotors..

I wonder what BT would charge to make anodized aluminum rotor hub covers that would give the look of "floated" rotors.. That would look hot and would take care of the rust issue!

Did you paint your rotors while on the car or did you take them off?

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
while they were on the car

I wasn't gonna pull the brakes off. I just taped everything off and went for it. Easy fix.

I'm not gonna "chew" anyone out. My girl has a 2011 volvo and the hubs are flat black, no rust. Just saying. I don't mind working on my ride.
Very good for me as I'm re-discovering the gear head within my HEAD! LOL!

All Good Brother:)

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
I'd still chew em out! :)

Good work! I was going to pull mine off, but knowing you did it with them on... Ehhh why not! :)

I just need it to stop raining and the sun to come out... Not quite sure that's ever going to happen!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
while they were on the car

I wasn't gonna pull the brakes off. I just taped everything off and went for it. Easy fix.

I'm not gonna "chew" anyone out. My girl has a 2011 volvo and the hubs are flat black, no rust. Just saying. I don't mind working on my ride.
Very good for me as I'm re-discovering the gear head within my HEAD! LOL!

All Good Brother:)
Looks great!
What did you use...Rustoleum??
Are the fronts also rusted...I didn't even look.

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
Apparently mine was left in the snow or a puddle! Before and after pics....

The driver rear (shown) was the worst but all mine were like that.

Fixed em but this is pretty much unacceptable for a $50,000 car, IE or not.

IMHO.

Elbow grease and TLC I suppose

Jack em up and get a 22mm socket

-Dino

Damn you guys! Now I have another project! :guiness:

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Looks great!
What did you use...Rustoleum??
Are the fronts also rusted...I didn't even look.
I live in San Diego so the weather (usually) isn't an issue so, Yes. I just used a flat black Krylon (sp) with rust guard. I bought a 500 degree black as well. I was going to spray that over to give protection against heat but it was a semi-gloss black (my mistake). After comparing what I did (just the flat black) against the ****ty grey on the other wheels, I decided to leave it. I'll see how it goes and I'm sure I could have put on something more durable. (see other opinions) Living in Socal with no salt/less mud on the roads etc.. It should be ok for now. More then anything, I couldn't stand seeing my immaculate detail of #703 be thwarted by that crappy looking hub. So now she sits, awaiting the next mash on the gas pedal. Under most lighting all that stands out is the red accent of the Brembos and vented discs. The hub blends nicely with flat black. I personally wouldn't go grey. They're all flat black but this specific wheel was the worst. I just wanted to show ya the difference.

Do it and you'll be happy! I did however read threads for lug nut sizes. Bad segway but just saying; 22mm socket fits perfect when changing the wheels if you do 'em yourself.

Good Luck Brother!

·
Registered
559 Posts
caliper epoxy

ive used this epoxy in the past....never chips....hard as a rock! shouldnt paint the hub where the wheel bolts on....especially when using several thick coats of epoxy paint or spray paint....the purpleish color is a very thin rust preventer, i brushed it on very thin...the epoxy paint is a gloss black...matches the wheels on the ie great!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
ive used this epoxy in the past....never chips....hard as a rock! shouldnt paint the hub where the wheel bolts on....especially when using several thick coats of epoxy paint or spray paint....the purpleish color is a very thin rust preventer, i brushed it on very thin...the epoxy paint is a gloss black...matches the wheels on the ie great!
Ah, I see....so the wheel "can" be taken off, ref. the bolt pattern.
That hub center cap? I don't have that.....Should it have been there? Didn't come on mine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts