Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just wondering if anyone has seen anything like the pics attached on their cars. I take good care of my car and do regular washes and waxes, not sure if this is a factory paint issue, or a product I use issue, I’m currently in the United Kingdom on a 3 year work assignment, the wife noticed this issue and sent me these pics.

Water Grass Automotive exterior Metal Terrestrial plant

Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive exterior
Ś

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
32,907 Posts
Those are the plastic roof moldings. They are pre-painted from the factory I believe and the dealer needs your VIN# to order the correct color. They look to be deteriorating, are you in a sun/heat state? Near the ocean? I believe that could cook them pretty good. Unless you use particularly harsh chemicals to clean your car. There were cracking issues on early cars (see attached), and ripples/dimples are/were also very common, but peeling/fading paint I don't recall seeing

A Guy

Attachments

Reactions: 87GN

·
Registered
401 Posts
Just had mine replaced under warranty. Mine cracked and clear coat peeling. What they did, ordered molding and sent out to be painted, they do not come painted as what the dealer said

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
32,907 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
That was what I was told by dealer, for matching paint issues he said. Well I was satisfied again I guess you cannot trust anyone until you do the research yourself. I guess maybe it’s a warranty and they did it the cheapest way

·
Registered
18,301 Posts
Yeah I don't know which would be better but they absolutely come in to Brampton pre-painted so assume the same vendor supplies them on the parts side. The dealer may or may not do as good a job who knows.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,445 Posts
I wonder if those seams could be "leaded" like the seams on the old "E" bodies. That is probably a lost art.
I was taught how to do that in my Auto Body repair class in about 1982. However, because it WAS lead we used, that practice has since been banned. Lead = Lead Poisoning.

Reactions: Frank Julian

·
Registered
401 Posts
They still do that process on auto body when they chop cars seen it done the discovery channel. Not like they are doing the whole car. They did say nobody is doing this process anymore

1 - 13 of 13 Posts