Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just bought a 2011 srt8 that happens to have the speedlogix ram air on it. im not a big fan of raw carbon fiber and would love to have the hood toxic orange like the rest of the beautiful beast. i would love to look out the windshield and see that color in front of me. is it possible to paint over carbon fiber? if not , im looking to sell that hood and go with an oem 2015 srt hood
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2018 HCWB. 2017 Scatpack.
2,658 Posts
you can paint over carbon fiber...its a more complicated (costly) process, including stripping it down to base carbon fiber, sanding, epoxy primers, then paint.
Personally Id sell it (someone will want it) and replace it with an original unit , in correct body color and matching stripes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah thanks , i had a feeling it was involved. i dont hate the hood, just wish it could be body coly around the scoop. if anybody has a fiberglass they want to trade, let me know!

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat / 2022 Challenger Redeye Widebody
464 Posts
Keep in mind that if you go the replacement route, you'd likely have to re-stripe the entire car as the new stripes will be a different color than the old ones, given the car's age.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat / 2022 Challenger Redeye Widebody
464 Posts
im pretty good with a rotary buffer and compounding... do you think i can knock back the ghosting ?
Never say never, but the bigger question is, is the juice worth the squeeze? IMO, it's all in how the old stripes come off and how much crap they leave behind. The older the vinyl, the more chances of it being brittle. If they come off in little chunks... that's a job for someone else, IMO :) I'm good with that sort of work too... but removing a dry rotted vinyl is a real pain in the ass job.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,784 Posts
My suggestion is to find a couple of good body shops and get their advice and prices to paint the hood and see what they could do about the stripes too. That might be a good start to tell you what you want to do.

I agree with you about the Toxic orange too, it's a Gorgeous color!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
update - i found out it is actually a fiberglass hood, but the PO wrapped it due to some paint issues. at least i know now i can pay a shop to correct / repaint which will probably not be too bad. i havet eyeballed the paint underneath yet but as long as the fiberglass isnt damaged i guess its do able. i will then ask if they can de-stripe. would love to have it look like this scheme but without the RT stripes of course
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Window

1 - 9 of 9 Posts