Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize the clear bra option is more expensive than the ceramic coating, so I'm curious if it's worth the extra cost in terms of paint protection and longevity. Or should I maybe do both? I've been told you can still apply ceramic coat on top of a clear wrap

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,341 Posts
PPF offers greater protection, including small rock chips, and small scratches for the self healing type. Ceramic coatings offer protection against chemicals, pollution, UV, oxidation, and small protection against swirls, also provided by PPF. Both should be proceeded by paint correction as you are "locking in" the condition of the paint when they are applied.

PPF should last 5-10 years depending on quality, and environmental conditions (sun exposure, how often washed, and how, etc.). PPF will eventually have to be removed, or it can damage the paint.

Ceramic coatings will likely last 1-? (probably 5 years tops, despite "lifetime" warranties of some), and will eventually lose their hydrophobic properties by themselves.

The ultimate would be paint correction, followed by self healing PPF, followed by ceramic coating. There are even coatings made now specifically for coating PPF. Ceramic coatings have superior hydrophobic properties, and add more gloss.

A Guy

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PPF offers greater protection, including small rock chips, and small scratches for the self healing type. Ceramic coatings offer protection against chemicals, pollution, UV, oxidation, and small protection against swirls, also provided by PPF. Both should be proceeded by paint correction as you are "locking in" the condition of the paint when they are applied.

PPF should last 5-10 years depending on quality, and environmental conditions (sun exposure, how often washed, and how, etc.). PPF will eventually have to be removed, or it can damage the paint.

Ceramic coatings will likely last 1-? (probably 5 years tops, despite "lifetime" warranties of some), and will eventually lose their hydrophobic properties by themselves.

The ultimate would be paint correction, followed by self healing PPF, followed by ceramic coating. There are even coatings made now specifically for coating PPF. Ceramic coatings have superior hydrophobic properties, and add more gloss.

A Guy
How much could I expect to pay for a full PPF wrap on the entire body? I realize that varies widely depending on the installer and the film used but I just need a rough idea.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,341 Posts
I'm not sure, it will vary by amount of correction needed, the surface, etc. But I'd think a full body PPF will be $5,000 and up (how high?)

A Guy

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure, it will vary by amount of correction needed, the surface, etc. But I'd think a full body PPF will be $5,000 and up (how high?)

A Guy
Holy gawd that's a lot, I think I'll start with just a ceramic coating and paint correction and save up for the bigger purchase! At that price I might as well get the wrap in octane red since I prefer that color just a little bit more than my granite crystal.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,341 Posts
My car is 3 /12 years old, 15,000 mostly surface street miles, coated since 9/2016. I have one small chip on leading edge of hood (covered up by moi, only visible close up). Your mileage may vary. Some get tons of rock chips. A full body PPF generally overkill. Front bumper, hood, mirrors, lower following panels are more common...still not cheap.

A Guy

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My car is 3 /12 years old, 15,000 mostly surface street miles, coated since 9/2016. I have one small chip on leading edge of hood (covered up by moi, only visible close up). Your mileage may vary. Some get tons of rock chips. A full body PPF generally overkill. Front bumper, hood, mirrors, lower following panels are more common...still not cheap.

A Guy

Makes sense, I guess those would be the areas in the most danger of chipping.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,341 Posts
Get some estimates, then you'll know. An expert can tell you what's common, and more specifically, what your car would require ;) Hint: If it's cheap, you'll probably get what you paid for ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
2017 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
132 Posts
I was thinking of putting the PPF on the whole Challenger but I just couldn’t justify $5k on it - heck you can almost get a supercharger for that price.

I’m planning on just doing the front bumper and mirrors. Price quotes here in the SF Bay Area were between $500 for Xpel and $850 for Suntek.

We have Suntek PPF on our Tesla Model 3 mostly because we had some horrible bird poop etchings that we wanted to hide. That it was successful at. I was hoping that it would repel rain drops and avoid spots but I’m honestly disappointed with the results there. Still have to wash the car after a storm.😀. I guess swirls should be handled better at least.

I’ve also heard that if you partially apply the film that you could see color differentiations between the protected and unprotected sections develop over time. Hoping that’s not the case.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I was thinking of putting the PPF on the whole Challenger but I just couldn’t justify $5k on it - heck you can almost get a supercharger for that price.

I’m planning on just doing the front bumper and mirrors. Price quotes here in the SF Bay Area were between $500 for Xpel and $850 for Suntek.

We have Suntek PPF on our Tesla Model 3 mostly because we had some horrible bird poop etchings that we wanted to hide. That it was successful at. I was hoping that it would repel rain drops and avoid spots but I’m honestly disappointed with the results there. Still have to wash the car after a storm.😀. I guess swirls should be handled better at least.

I’ve also heard that if you partially apply the film that you could see color differentiations between the protected and unprotected sections develop over time. Hoping that’s not the case.
My car isn't fully covered with the clear bra so some areas are exposed to the sun and elements. hmm I wonder if I need to wrap the rest like my fender and roof now. And it was mentioned that the clear bra has to be removed every 5 years or it may cause damage to the paint? that's like $1000 a year for the clear bra if it's about 5000 to wrap the whole car

·
Registered
13 Posts

For me, I chose PPF over Ceramic Coating. Went with Suntek PPF on my 2019 Challenger SP WB, whole car coverage ran me $4390.00. The car is right a a year old... still looks brand new. People are always complimenting me on the appearance.

·
Registered
2017 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
132 Posts
My car isn't fully covered with the clear bra so some areas are exposed to the sun and elements. hmm I wonder if I need to wrap the rest like my fender and roof now. And it was mentioned that the clear bra has to be removed every 5 years or it may cause damage to the paint? that's like $1000 a year for the clear bra if it's about 5000 to wrap the whole car
The approach you took is the one I’m taking to protect the most likely place for damage. I’d call it the cost effective approach. I bought my 17 SPS earlier this year and I had the front bumper repainted because of all of the road debris damage that had accumulated.

Rest of the marks on the car in other areas really couldn’t be protected by PPF (like someone keying it), except perhaps for bird crap etchings.

I’ve seen mirrors get damaged over the years so I think it’s a good idea to get those wrapped as well. Last area would probably be a strip over the rear bumper to protect from damage when your kids load their junk in the trunk🙂

·
Registered
539 Posts
The approach you took is the one I’m taking to protect the most likely place for damage. I’d call it the cost effective approach. I bought my 17 SPS earlier this year and I had the front bumper repainted because of all of the road debris damage that had accumulated.

Rest of the marks on the car in other areas really couldn’t be protected by PPF (like someone keying it), except perhaps for bird crap etchings.

I’ve seen mirrors get damaged over the years so I think it’s a good idea to get those wrapped as well. Last area would probably be a strip over the rear bumper to protect from damage when your kids load their junk in the trunk🙂
I have the front bumper covered, I think they even put a clear bra on the headlight, might have already came with the set. The mirrors too, the hood, the door and a bit of the rear quarter panel I think for rock from the tires. yeah the rear bumper is good idea. hopefully prevents damage from love taps from bad parkers.

old pic i've since removed the bumper guards. I think these areas are mostly likely areas that rocks will fly toward the car

1 - 13 of 13 Posts