Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy friends. Recently, I had an unfortunate run-in with my garage door. It stopped short when opening, and of course it opened just far enough so I couldn't see it in my mirrors, but just low enough to scrape the top of my car when backing out. Boy, was I mad.:headbang:

Anyway, the body shop could buff most of it out, but there are several scratches left in the paint on the steeper sloped metal above the rear windshield. Now, they are not terrible scratches (they are the kind you can see once you know they are there but probably wouldn't notice on a glance). They bug me even though they are minor.

The body shop said it would need paint to be completely fixed. Now, here's my question. Anybody have any idea whether Blackberry Pearl paint is a pain to match? I would like to have it painted to fix the scratches, but I don't want to end up with a car that you can tell has been painted. If it ends up such that you can tell, I may rather have had the scratches. Now, the body shop I would take it to has done great work in the past for me, but I'm not familiar with how difficult it is to match this color. Anybody have an opinion on whether they think a good body shop could make it look like new, or am I asking for the impossible? Thoughts, everyone?

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Man, that's a tough one. Your paint is only original once... I say if you can live with it just leave it alone.

·
Premium Member
9,658 Posts
Are you certain water can't get to the metal and start to rust? A good shop can make it perfect.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
If you've kept your paint waxed and looking new, it's no problem to match. It's a pearl base coat color with a clear over it, so as long as the clear coat is in great shape you'll be fine for a match.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Make sure you take it to someone at the top of their game with a paint gun. Not all painters are equal.

Reactions: Ohgeez

·
Registered
588 Posts
Make sure you take it to someone at the top of their game with a paint gun. Not all painters are equal.
No kidding. And if you do get it painted, do a thorough inspection before leaving the shop. Grab one of those high intensity flashlights and go over the area that was painted.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts