Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my Scat Pack a few weeks ago with 26K mi and I believe it has the OEM rotors. I noticed they have rusted around the hub area where they're painted grey. They have also started to squeak (possibly due to glazing) so I am going to replace them with Powerstop Z26 rotors and pads. Should I be concerned with these rusting as well? I'm considering painting them but I'd prefer not having to do so. Thanks for any feedback!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Those rotors are zinc coated and shouldn’t require painting, I installed them on my 2016 scat Pack and they stayed nice and clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those rotors are zinc coated and shouldn’t require painting, I installed them on my 2016 scat Pack and they stayed nice and clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for your feedback! I'm glad they stayed clean without having to paint them and I did read that they are zinc coated but it does say that the hub area is not so that's the part I'm worried about.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
...Scat Pack... with 26K mi... They have also started to squeak so I am going to replace them with Powerstop Z26 rotors...
Thought I'd comment on just this one item. Why would you want to replace your factory rotors with only 26k on them? Are they undersize or damaged in some way? Why not just have them turned? Once they're trued up a little, they should work like new again.

Do you have the stock 4 piston set up, or the upgrade 6 piston Brembo's? And are we talking about all 4 brakes or just the front?

You didn't mention why you chose Z23's. We're familiar with these pads, but we're not familiar with you and what you will be expecting from them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thought I'd comment on just this one item. Why would you want to replace your factory rotors with only 26k on them? Are they undersize or damaged in some way? Why not just have them turned? Once they're trued up a little, they should work like new again.

Do you have the stock 4 piston set up, or the upgrade 6 piston Brembo's? And are we talking about all 4 brakes or just the front?

You didn't mention why you chose Z23's. We're familiar with these pads, but we're not familiar with you and what you will be expecting from them.
The main reason I want to replace the factory rotors is because the hub area has oxidized quite a bit on all four but other than squeaking during light stopping, they work fine. I have the 4 piston set up and although I could turn them and I suppose remove the rust and paint them, I figured I may as well replace them with some better looking (in my opinion) slotted and drilled rotors.

I'm actually looking into the Z26 kit. This car is my daily driver but I do drive it hard from time to time. From my understanding, the Z26's are a good option for DDs since they don't produce as much brake dust as OEM pads and are fairly comparable in stopping power.

Thanks for your comment and concerns. Given my circumstances, do you think It's a good idea to swap out my factory rotors?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Also isn’t recommended to turn slotted rotors. I’m not saying it can’t be done but experts say not to. IMO stay away from drilled rotors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also isn’t recommended to turn slotted rotors. I’m not saying it can’t be done but experts say not to. IMO stay away from drilled rotors.
Thanks for your input wasp392. Any insight as to why you prefer the factory rotors or why staying away from drilled ones may be a good idea?

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Thanks for your input wasp392. Any insight as to why you prefer the factory rotors or why staying away from drilled ones may be a good idea?

From experience. Had dedicated sets for racing for years. Never had any issues.
The reason I dislike drilled rotors are due to cracks develop over time. Have you ever seen what happens when the rotors break into pieces? It can be fatal. Seriously. Just not worth the risk no matter slim. Just one of the more reasons to stay away from them.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hotrod.com/articles/slotted-brake-rotors-better-drilled-rotors/amp/

·
Registered
520 Posts
Here is a good video discussing drilled and slotted

I painted the gray portion of my Scat Pack rotors with gloss black epoxy when the car was new. It has worked well to prevent the type of rust shown in your photos.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
The main reason I want to replace the factory rotors is because the hub area has oxidized quite a bit on all four but other than squeaking during light stopping, they work fine. I have the 4 piston set up and although I could turn them and I suppose remove the rust and paint them, I figured I may as well replace them with some better looking (in my opinion) slotted and drilled rotors.

I'm actually looking into the Z26 kit. This car is my daily driver but I do drive it hard from time to time. From my understanding, the Z26's are a good option for DDs since they don't produce as much brake dust as OEM pads and are fairly comparable in stopping power.

Thanks for your comment and concerns. Given my circumstances, do you think It's a good idea to swap out my factory rotors?
That helps. Changing out the 4 piston rotors is considerably cheaper than the 6 piston 2 piece units. We understand your logic now. You want nicer LOOKING rotors. The Z26 kit is a good choice. But know that the pads WILL produce far less dust than factory, and that they will NOT perform as well in track conditions. They're easier on your rotors which is good, but aren't designed for taking the car racing at the track. On the street, the diff shows up as slightly less "touchy" when ya first hit the pedal. On my SRT, they stop great. Other drivers still complain that my car's brakes are "touchy" but I know that they aren't nearly like they were with my factory pads. I don't race my car, so any change in performance in track conditions doesn't matter to me. I don't care. The car stops WAAYYY faster than I'll ever use, and that's fine with me. I hate brake dust, and my Z23's get the job done. FWIW, Z23's are significantly cheaper than Z26's. Compound is exactly the same. Diff is the backing plate, Z26's are designed for higher temps.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Here is a good video discussing drilled and slotted rotors.

I painted the gray portion of my Scat Pack rotors with gloss black epoxy when the car was new. It has worked well to prevent the type of rust shown in your photos.
+1 Thanks for weighing in here.

You are correct, many experts say this. However, many also say it's fine to turn them, and they do it every day. Depends which experts ya talk to and what kind of equipment they have. For example, my Dodge dealer will turn them right there on the car, and highly recommended it to me rather than replacement. But they have the right equipment.

·
Super Moderator
14,408 Posts
I just bought my Scat Pack a few weeks ago with 26K mi and I believe it has the OEM rotors. I noticed they have rusted around the hub area where they're painted grey. They have also started to squeak (possibly due to glazing) so I am going to replace them with Powerstop Z26 rotors and pads. Should I be concerned with these rusting as well? I'm considering painting them but I'd prefer not having to do so. Thanks for any feedback!
the '15 through early '16s didn't seem to have painted the faces of the rotor hats - this would lead to unsightly rust stains coming out from the center caps.

It appears the later '16s and onward started to have painted faces.

I bought the zinc paint and painted the faces of mine (Oct '15 build) as mine were raw steel and started to do that.

wire brushed the faces, cleaned the residue and painted them - all good after 3 1/2 years later

·
Registered
427 Posts
I painted my hubs also. Didn't like the gray with rust either. Lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
8 Participants
ljb2148
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing