Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
// 2019 Dodge Challenger RT Pitch Black Clear-coat
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very small spot or two on the diver side door towards the edge of the door that shuts and connects to the rear panel under the driver side window. They’re very small spots but you can see a white(ish) color and am wondering if it’s worth messing with the Mopar Touch Up Paint or if I should pay the cost of getting it handled by a detail shop.

I’ve had the Challenger since Saturday afternoon and pulled off the lot after signing everything and didn’t notice it until I was checking the car out and removing the plastic splitter guards.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,439 Posts
Try and snap some pics for reference. Hold your finger next to the spot to give camera something to focus on if it’s having trouble focusing in on the paint artifacts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try and snap some pics for reference. Hold your finger next to the spot to give camera something to focus on if it’s having trouble focusing in on the paint artifacts
Here are the two spots.

Vehicle door Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Hood
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Alloy wheel Rim

·
Premium Member
9,439 Posts
Here are the two spots.
those on the backside edge of the door are what the touch up paint pens were made for. That’s squarely in their whee house...as for the others on the front bumper, they could be limited to the clear coat or even just paint transfer. Run your fingernail across those spots on the bumper and see if you can feel them at all. If so, it’s probably paint transfer which can be remedied by some detail clay.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
those on the backside edge of the door are what the touch up paint pens were made for. That’s squarely in their whee house...as for the others on the front bumper, they could be limited to the clear coat or even just paint transfer. Run your fingernail across those spots on the bumper and see if you can feel them at all. If so, it’s probably paint transfer which can be remedied by some detail clay.
Yes, I can feel them. That’s what I was going to do Friday after I wash it was detail it quickly and see if some detail clay would work.

But you think the mopar official touch up pen w/ clear coat would be enough and not look too sloppy?

·
Premium Member
9,439 Posts
Yes, I can feel them. That’s what I was going to do Friday after I wash it was detail it quickly and see if some detail clay would work.

But you think the mopar official touch up pen w/ clear coat would be enough and not look too sloppy?
That first pic can be handled with a paint pen without looking sloppy, sure. Maybe not the first time, but the good thing about those paint pens is that they come with lacquer-based paint in them. So all you have to do to allow yourself unlimited mulligans on any paint touch up is buy a can of lacquer thinner.

Don’t like the way your touch up turned out? Hit it with some lacquer thinner, and it puts you back at square one. Try again. Still don’t like it? Lacquer thinner that puppy, and try again. You won’t hurt the original paint and are only limited by the amount of paint in the paint pen and your patience.

That second pic could be addressed with a paint pen if the scratches have pierced the clear coat and have gone into/thru the color coat, but I guarantee it will take more than one attempt to make it look good. But what else do you have to do?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That first pic can be handled with a paint pen without looking sloppy, sure. Maybe not the first time, but the good thing about those paint pens is that they come with lacquer-based paint in them. So all you have to do to allow yourself unlimited mulligans on any paint touch up is buy a can of lacquer thinner.

Don’t like the way your touch up turned out? Hit it with some lacquer thinner, and it puts you back at square one. Try again. Still don’t like it? Lacquer thinner that puppy, and try again. You won’t hurt the original paint and are only limited by the amount of paint in the paint pen and your patience.

That second pic could be addressed with a paint pen if the scratches have pierced the clear coat and have gone into/thru the color coat, but I guarantee it will take more than one attempt to make it look good. But what else do you have to do?
Just gotta wash her a bit after work and make her look clean, dry her, and then use the clay bar method to see how good I can get the paint transfer handled.

if anything is left over or looks like it needs to be touched up with the pen, I’ll try that and see how it works but it’s gray paint (can tell right away) so hopefully it works.

Those are the only two spots. Appreciate the suggestion.

·
Premium Member
9,439 Posts
Just gotta wash her a bit after work and make her look clean, dry her, and then use the clay bar method to see how good I can get the paint transfer handled.

if anything is left over or looks like it needs to be touched up with the pen, I’ll try that and see how it works but it’s gray paint (can tell right away) so hopefully it works.

Those are the only two spots. Appreciate the suggestion.
For that bumper, if you clay off the paint transfer and there is some white scuffs left behind, but you CANT feel anything when you run your finger nail over them, that’s just the clear coat and doesn’t need any touch up paint.

That sort of artifact can be remedied with a good machine polisher and some compound/polish.

Reactions: GhostXCaliber

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For that bumper, if you clay off the paint transfer and there is some white scuffs left behind, but you CANT feel anything when you run your finger nail over them, that’s just the clear coat and doesn’t need any touch up paint.

That sort of artifact can be remedied with a good machine polisher and some compound/polish.
Definitely appreciate all the help and suggestions. More help than guys at auto zone and Pepboys offered.

·
Premium Member
9,439 Posts
Definitely appreciate all the help and suggestions. More help than guys at auto zone and Pepboys offered.
Glad to be of assistance. But you must promise to use this newfound knowledge only for good and never for evil! 😁

Reactions: GSBrockman

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad to be of assistance. But you must promise to use this newfound knowledge only for good and never for evil! 😁
So I cleaned the car, used the detail kit and got most of the paint off. Looks almost new. You can see some minor imperfections but can’t even tell unless your right up on it nose to bumper.

·
Premium Member
9,439 Posts
So I cleaned the car, used the detail kit and got most of the paint off. Looks almost new. You can see some minor imperfections but can’t even tell unless your right up on it nose to bumper.
sounds like the sort of thing a DA or Orbital Polisher could make disappear with some good scratch remover or polish.

Griots Garage random orbital with their Complete Compound (yellow bottle?) and an orange pad would make short work of any blemishes left over now...at least that’s what I’d use if it were in my driveway:cool:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sounds like the sort of thing a DA or Orbital Polisher could make disappear with some good scratch remover or polish.

Griots Garage random orbital with their Complete Compound (yellow bottle?) and an orange pad would make short work of any blemishes left over now...at least that’s what I’d use if it were in my driveway:cool:
So here is a picture of it.

it was worse than that prior to my attempts at fixing it but when I use the detail spray and the water/soap mix spray, it goes away and then comes back.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,439 Posts
So here is a picture of it.

it was worse than that prior to my attempts at fixing it but when I use the detail spray and the water/soap mix spray, it goes away and then comes back.
Yep, sounds like scuffed clear coat. Machine polisher and some good polish should disappear them pretty easily

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep, sounds like scuffed clear coat. Machine polisher and some good polish should disappear them pretty easily
I tried Meguilars FineX Scratch Fix with a foam pad and did it for 20-30 seconds, and it went away a bit more and you could only see it when eye level.

I’m hesitant on trying a compound because of the aggressiveness and harshness they provide. I may try one more thing before I just say yolo and bring it to a detail/paint shop and have them do it. It might be worth the hundred to two hundred to have them do it then spend money continuously on products.

I’m just losing hope.

·
Premium Member
9,439 Posts
I tried Meguilars FineX Scratch Fix with a foam pad and did it for 20-30 seconds, and it went away a bit more and you could only see it when eye level.

I’m hesitant on trying a compound because of the aggressiveness and harshness they provide. I may try one more thing before I just say yolo and bring it to a detail/paint shop and have them do it. It might be worth the hundred to two hundred to have them do it then spend money continuously on products.

I’m just losing hope.
try Meguiars ultimate compound, it’s more of a beefy polish than a compound.

what kind of polisher are you using? If you have a DA polisher, you would have to really work to harm the paint

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
try Meguiars ultimate compound, it’s more of a beefy polish than a compound.

what kind of polisher are you using? If you have a DA polisher, you would have to really work to harm the paint
I was using Meguiars Polish. I also used Turtle Jet Black Wax, California Detail kit (clay bar, detail spray) and I’ve tried Meguiars Scratch Renew, FineX Scratch repair, and nothing’s fully gotten it buffed out or fixed. I don’t know if I should try an orbital saw, or just get it professionally handled.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,743 Posts
I used Ultimate Compound on my under hood parts. I was able to get a mirror polish. You can always follow with the Polish. I used a MF applicator by hand

A Guy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts